Nov 23 2008
By: joemammaba First Son 9 posts

Any games similar to Zelda?

19 replies 8145 views Edited Nov 23, 2008
My wife has always been a huge fan of the Zelda games.  We have a ps3 and are getting a second one, and my wife just asked me if there are any games for the ps3 that are similar to the Zelda series.  Kind of new to gaming, so I thought I would throw the question out there.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4642 posts

Re: Any games similar to Zelda?

Nov 23, 2008
Not really. Probably the closest thing is Folklore, but it's still VERY different. If your ps3 is backwards compatible you should check out the PS2 game Okami. It has a lot of similarities to the more recent Zelda titles.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3129 posts

Nov 23, 2008

If you have a PS2 or Wii (preferably PS2). I urge you to try Okami! Once you've played it, you will never want to go back to Zelda. I'm dead serious. One of the best features of Okami is that you just hold down a button and draw a line or a circle or other simple forms to use your abilities, reducing the number of buttons (which in my eyes would seem more wife-friendly). The drawings are simple and easy to remember Don't want to spoil to much but an example would be to draw a straight line to cut something (rock or tree etc) or look up to the sky and draw a circle to bring out the sun. It's a VERY beautiful game. The worst part is the beginning (intro) which is a 10-15 min long "cutscene"/storytelling thing. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bring on comparisons between the two versions (PS2 or Wii) but I'll just say that the controls on the PS2 is actually way more newbie-friendly.

As for PS3 games, you're probably out of luck. Although nothing remotely the same, I think Ratchet and Clank might be a good fit. It's an adventure game as well but not as puzzle heavy and a lot more linear (Zelda is open-world, Ratchet is more go from A to B). Anyway it's a bit expensive for a one year old game but it's on Amazon for 40 bucks I think. Also on PSN there's a standalone "expansion" Ratchet & Clank (subtitled "Quest For Booty") for 15$ and should last around 3-4 hours they say (probably even more for non-hardcore gamers). It does NOT require the original Ratchet game and CAN be played without it. Just in case you want a piece (and pay less) rather than the whole cake.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (8,145 Views)
Gaming Beast
2281 posts

Nov 23, 2008

It's a PS2 game but definitely get Okami. Zelda's my favorite series of all time and whenever I play adventure games I compare them to Ocarina of Time. Okami's the most similar you'll get to Zelda, and you definitely won't be dissapointed. People have said Shadow of the Colosuss is similar, although I didn't like it at all. There's absolutely nothing to do other than the main quest. I normally wouldn't be too bothered by this but all you do is kill 16 giants. There are no towns, monsters, people and there's not really a story either. I just found it to be depressing. Also it's not an adventure and it's not for the PS2, but I found Tales of Symphonia to be sort of similar to Zelda in some aspects.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 24, 2008

thanks guys.  Ill try Okami out.  I have a back compat ps3.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8197 posts

Nov 24, 2008
Well, as several other people have stated I'd have to go with Okami on this one.  Sadly it didn't sell well....I would have liked to see some sort of sequel or spin-off.  The development team was certainly capeable of doing it.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2281 posts

Nov 24, 2008

iKilledKenny~ wrote:
Well, as several other people have stated I'd have to go with Okami on this one.  Sadly it didn't sell well....I would have liked to see some sort of sequel or spin-off.  The development team was certainly capeable of doing it.

I think it sold better than I thought it did. I was at Gamestop the other day to get God of War and I saw that Okami made greatest hits.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3129 posts

Nov 25, 2008

orangekows wrote:

iKilledKenny~ wrote:

I think it sold better than I thought it did. I was at Gamestop the other day to get God of War and I saw that Okami made greatest hits.

For such an ambitious game I think it sold pretty poorly. I think the numbers were around 400k for the PS2 version and around 200k for the Wii version. I don't think Capcom got their money back (which is probably why they dissolved Clover Studio, the makers of Okami).
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Nov 25, 2008

moemammaba wrote:

thanks guys.  Ill try Okami out.  I have a back compat ps3.

In that case, give ICO and Shadow of the Colossus a look, they're very similar to Zelda in terms of environmental concept. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 10, 2010
I haven't played it yet, but from what i've heard 3D Dot Game Heroes is like the Zelda series. The music even sounds similiar as well and the introduction to the game looks very VERY similiar to The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.
Just like how ModNation is to Mario Kart, and LittleBigPlanet to New Super Mario Bros., I believe that 3D Dot Game Heroes is to Legend of Zelda.
I hope this helps =)
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (8,145 Views)
0 Likes