Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 31 2013
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11174 posts

Unknowns versus the knowns: will celebrities affect the result of Beyond?

11 replies 254 views Edited Jul 31, 2013

If you think about it, last time around Heavy Rain featured an abode of actors that were below the radar and today still seem to carry the same status. When Beyond: Two Souls comes to mind, apart from the ghost story there's the fact that the game is being headlined by some notable actors. Namely, Ellen Page.

With the likes of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe already having years of reputable presence, by playing Beyond: Two Souls we're going to experience the game through a story served with characters you've probably already seen in a few places. WIll this make the game any different than Heavy Rain by comparison? Sure enough, these actors may have already impressed us through the silver screen, but can they overcome that purity between not being heavily familiar with their faces and their resume histories before getting to know them as the characters they'll now portray in this original story?

Message 1 of 12 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Re: Unknowns versus the knowns: will celebrities affect the result of Beyond?

Aug 1, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

If you think about it, last time around Heavy Rain featured an abode of actors that were below the radar and today still seem to carry the same status. When Beyond: Two Souls comes to mind, apart from the ghost story there's the fact that the game is being headlined by some notable actors. Namely, Ellen Page.

With the likes of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe already having years of reputable presence, by playing Beyond: Two Souls we're going to experience the game through a story served with characters you've probably already seen in a few places. WIll this make the game any different than Heavy Rain by comparison? Sure enough, these actors may have already impressed us through the silver screen, but can they overcome that purity between not being heavily familiar with their faces and their resume histories before getting to know them as the characters they'll now portray in this original story?

I only have seen the movie Inception with Ellen Page in it, I have not seen her in any other movie, so for me personally it's not a big deal because I don't know her that well, I do think that these famous actors (Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe) can help sell the game, especially to people who are not really into gaming, but are fan of movies, I think I didn't really answered your question exactly, but I just wanted to say this about the subject :smileywink:

Message 2 of 12 (249 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11174 posts

Aug 1, 2013

Well, I've definitely seen Ellen Page in a number of movies so far, starting with X-Men: The Last Stand and Hard Candy. From there I've seen her in the likes of Juno, Whip It, and eventually Inception. Out of all the movies I've seen her in, there's only been one that I've enjoyed (Whip It) while the rest I'd rather forget about if that were possible.

Willem Dafoe is also someone easily recognizable now, having first seen his work in Speed 2: Cruise Control. After that I caught him again in Spider-Man, which at the time made me think along the lines of... "Oh yeah, it's that guy." There have been numerous other movies I've seen him in ever since, from Finding Nemo, xXx: State of the Union, and the always lovable American Psycho.

With these people already being regularly established faces, I'm thinking it may be tough to enjoy these characters the same way. Since I'm something of a movie buff playing Beyond: Two Souls this definitely won't be the first time I've seen the faces of these actors, or listened to the sound of their voice. This won't be the first time I've seen the same look of joy or grief they may give. This will be kind of like watching another movie, and if it's anything like Heavy Rain getting to control over their lives... at least until a fatal mistake takes it all away.

Message 3 of 12 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Aug 1, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Well, I've definitely seen Ellen Page in a number of movies so far, starting with X-Men: The Last Stand and Hard Candy. From there I've seen her in the likes of Juno, Whip It, and eventually Inception. Out of all the movies I've seen her in, there's only been one that I've enjoyed (Whip It) while the rest I'd rather forget about if that were possible.

Willem Dafoe is also someone easily recognizable now, having first seen his work in Speed 2: Cruise Control. After that I caught him again in Spider-Man, which at the time made me think along the lines of... "Oh yeah, it's that guy." There have been numerous other movies I've seen him in ever since, from Finding Nemo, xXx: State of the Union, and the always lovable American Psycho.

With these people already being regularly established faces, I'm thinking it may be tough to enjoy these characters the same way. Since I'm something of a movie buff playing Beyond: Two Souls this definitely won't be the first time I've seen the faces of these actors, or listened to the sound of their voice. This won't be the first time I've seen the same look of joy or grief they may give. This will be kind of like watching another movie, and if it's anything like Heavy Rain getting to control over their lives... at least until a fatal mistake takes it all away.

I get what you mean, but you must also relise that there is a reason they appear in many movies, that's because they are just very good actors, as much as I liked Heavy Rain, the acting did disappoint me sometimes, while that probably won't happen in Beyond Two Souls, so it has a good thing and a bad thing, and for me personally the good thing weighs more :smileywink:

Message 4 of 12 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2576 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Did I have a post deleted? I'm pretty sure I made a comment about Hollywood actors taking roles in video games and then made a reference to Camilla Luddington in Tomb Raider.

Message 5 of 12 (220 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3015 posts

Aug 17, 2013
I'm personally not interested in the fame of the actors but rather their ability to sell a convincing character, and the actor's role should be to ensure they don't become their on-screen persona and can thus switch from one role to the next with ease.
I hope the development team pushes them to show what these specific characters want, so that we all forget about the faces.
Message 6 of 12 (197 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 31, 2013

I think it would depend on the actor.  Some actors are too big for their own good that it's difficult to separate them from themselves.  It's like they get typecasted as their public persona.  In this case, I don't really think it would be distracting. If the storyline is there with the acting to back it up then I think it'll be easy to forget who the actors are and think of them as their characters.  That's the whole point of being an actor right?  I think it might actually be easier to forget about the acutal actor and think about the character in a video game than in a movie/tv show since it's interactive.  We're an active audience member whereas in a movie/tv show it's passive.   At most when a character is introduced I might try to figure out where I know them from if I recognize them but once the story really gets started I think it'll all be forgotten.  Hopefully the story is as good as I think it's going to be.

Message 7 of 12 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13533 posts

Aug 31, 2013

Beyond should actually benefit more than Heavy Rain did from the fact that it's got people that have a history of acting. A documented history I mean. I'm sure the people in Heavy Rain had probably had roles elsewhere not that I could recall though.

Message 8 of 12 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Sep 1, 2013

The story is what im interested in...this game is going to be great and have been waiting forever for it. Its not the celebrities that drew me in.

Message 9 of 12 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Sep 3, 2013

Possibly, yeah. Having the talents mentioned involved may have resulted in a better product. Those actors have a lot of credibility and have been in some amazing projects. Ultimately it is in the hands of QD, and whether they have created a compelling experience for the drama live in or not. I'm confident they have.

Message 10 of 12 (141 Views)
0 Likes