Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 12 2013
By: Matthijs_17 Fender Bender 2841 posts

gameplay explained!

15 replies 340 views Edited Jun 12, 2013

A video from Quantic Dream in which they explain the gameplay, the video has some new locations, so if you do not want to see that, don't click the video, but read the gameplay explanation I put up below instead:

- you can control Jody with the left analog stick and unlike heavy rain you can this time control the camera with the right anolog stick

- at any time you can switch between Jody and Aiden

- you can fly through walls with Aiden but you are connected to Jody and you can only as far away from her as the connection between Aiden and Jody allows

- Aiden can possess certain characters (make them do things against their will) and some characters can be choked, also you can create visions for Jody (I don't really understand what they mean with that)

- unlike heavy rain, beyond two souls will not have any quick time events, they have been replaced by a slow motion sequence in which you have to control Jody with the right analog stick, for instance if she is about to punch an enemy, you have to move her fist in the right direction with the right analog stick (while this sounds like just another version of QTE's, I think it is great, because it is more immersive, what I mean with that is that now you look for the movement Jody makes instead of looking at a button prompt that pops up on the screen, I think it's great)

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (340 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Re: gameplay explained!

Jun 14, 2013

Oh wow that's really interesting. I'm uber excited for this game.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
235 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

- unlike heavy rain, beyond two souls will not have any quick time events, they have been replaced by a slow motion sequence in which you have to control Jody with the right analog stick, for instance if she is about to punch an enemy, you have to move her fist in the right direction with the right analog stick (while this sounds like just another version of QTE's, I think it is great, because it is more immersive, what I mean with that is that now you look for the movement Jody makes instead of looking at a button prompt that pops up on the screen, I think it's great)

Thanks for this thread Matthijs....this new slow mo option over the basic quick time event scheme of many games has this old man happy.

I'm 49. Not sure if I'll be alive when Planetside 2 hits PS4

Better Hide Or Die | Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (316 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Jun 19, 2013

That sounds awesome. While I liked the QTEs in Heavy Rain, I think this system is better. I can't to get this game!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1579 posts

Jun 19, 2013
My only problem with the "analog stick QTE" is I have no idea what it could be used for other than punching/kicking. And if that is the case, they should have just developed some kind of combat system instead of that. Wdoes anyone here have ideas of what it could be used for? It is such a specific motion. A button press, as basic as it may be, can be used in many more situations.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2841 posts

Jun 19, 2013

HM01_Impaler wrote:
My only problem with the "analog stick QTE" is I have no idea what it could be used for other than punching/kicking. And if that is the case, they should have just developed some kind of combat system instead of that. Wdoes anyone here have ideas of what it could be used for? It is such a specific motion. A button press, as basic as it may be, can be used in many more situations.

in the video it says that you have to finish Jody's movement, so for instance you see her going to punch an enemy and then you point the right analog stick into the direction she is going to punch, but this isn't limited to punching or combat, it's all Jody's movement, for instance you can also use it to evade, in one of the demo's you see Jody trying to evade an enemy that attacks her with a knife, so you see her dodging and then you move the right analog stick in the direction of which Jody is dodging, or outside combat, in one of the demo's she had to jump over a gap, and she ran to the gap and then you point the right analog stick to the place she has to jump to, so don't worry, it is used in all situations :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1579 posts

Jun 19, 2013
^ Okay. Thank you. That's all I wanted to know
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
585 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Interesting. It looks a little more fluid than Heavy Rain.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Jun 29, 2013

Hmm I played HR with the Move rather than a controller... but the QTE's sound exactly the same to me? Anyways I think it's cool you can switch between characters on the fly, I wonder if we will get a few puzzles throwin in where you have to co operate between both chars... and maybe some mind controlling too :smileyvery-happy:.

Really looking forward to this one.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2841 posts

Jun 29, 2013

Juzzx wrote:

Hmm I played HR with the Move rather than a controller... but the QTE's sound exactly the same to me? Anyways I think it's cool you can switch between characters on the fly, I wonder if we will get a few puzzles throwin in where you have to co operate between both chars... and maybe some mind controlling too :smileyvery-happy:.

Really looking forward to this one.

well, QTE's are now replaced by a new system where you have to finish Jody's movement, while it sounds like it's still pressing a certain button (or in this new case, the right analog stick) at a certain time, the good thing that this new system has, is that it is more immersive, because instead of watching for a button prompt to come up, you have to look out for what Jody is doing, and help her doing it, so to speak, I think it's a great system!

and I saw some gameplay, and you can certainly expect some puzzles and there is indeed mind controlling as Aiden, you can't control all people, but a lot of people you can control, good guys and bad guys, doesn't matter, Aiden can control them :smileyhappy:

for instance Aiden once possesses a human who is afraid of hights to help him escape a burning building, or in an other scene, he possesses an enemy soldier and make him shoot the other enemy soldiers, it's in there :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (248 Views)
0 Likes