Sep 04 2010
By: arbitor365 Splicer 66 posts

sorry, but burnout paradise sucks

34 replies 1059 views Edited Sep 4, 2010

honestly, I have always thought that burnout paradise is vastly inferior to the rest of the games in the series, in nearly every respect. I have so many problems with this game and It is one of the biggest let-downs of this generation for me.

problem #1

the paradise island "sandbox" system. I dont understand why everyone is trying to be like GTA or Infamous. Not every game has to have an open world to explore. it doesnt work for every series. It is so pointless here. While playing burnout 3 did anything think to themselves

"hey. this game has some great speed, action, destruction, and multiplayer fun. You know what’s missing? A giant city to wander around in."

I guess the creators knew this is a popular thing and that it would probably be received well by the majority of guillible consumers, but as a burnout fan, this does not sit well with me. Racing games do not need this feature. It NEVER works for racing games.

problem #2

Navigating the stupid city to find challenges. It wouldnt be so bad if (upon beating or finding a challenge) there was some quick menu option to bring you to it, or if there was some kind of arcade mode where you can just select what kind of challenge you want (like the previous games). but no. you have to painstakingly find your way to whatever challenge you want. frankly, the only two that really keep my attention are the "marked man" and "road rage" challenges. I spend 95% of time looking for these particular challenges, and the whole time im wishing I was playing burnout 3 instead.

problem #3

the menu system. this game has possibly the most unhelpful, broken, confusing, inconvenient, and just plain abnormal menu systems I have ever seen in a game.

problem #4

the fact that you have to backtrack to junk yards to change your car. why is this necessary? I can understand if there were rules against changing them in events, but why cant I do it in between?

problem #5

no innovation whatsoever. This game is just such a step back. It doesn’t present anything worthwhile that the other games didn’t have. It doesn’t deserve to be part of the series. It brings nothing to the table. It is a waste of time and a waste of effort.  

problem #6

the racing. they tried to introduce a navigation element in the racing. that would be all fine and good........ if it weren’t for all these problems

a) you have a compass. it does nothing to help you,  for the simple fact that you arent taking a linear path to the finish line. Seriously, why do we have a compass? im not Christopher Columbus.

b) your blinker and little sign indicators at the top of the screen are not very reliable. Turns are sometimes 45 degree angles and sometimes they are 20 degree angles (or something in between). These turns come up on you very quickly and the turning indicators do little to guide you.

c) its hard to see things coming up at you, even with an HD tv and HDMI cable. These cities just don’t feel like they are meant for racing through. There is too much crap in the road and too many 45 degree turns.

d) you are forced to focus on navigation instead of pulse-pounding racing. This is not what burnout is supposed to be like. It is supposed to be straight to the point, with intense races.

e) this entire concept falls apart for 1 simple reason above all others. Navigating this city is only advantageous if you have the layout memorized. And that is just not possible. Who has the patience for that? That would take hours upon hours. Why would I want to go through all that?  It’s a waste of time. I want to play a racing game to race. Not to memorize some pointless city and shortcut my way through everything. Forget that.

*sighs* Just give us back linear races. This is ridiculous

Problem #7

There is no splitscreen. All the multiplayer is online. unless you have all the good cars, you will get destroyed online. They completely ruined to multiplayer. This in particular really kills the game for me. Burnout without split-screen is like goldeneye 007 without splitscreen. The thought is just depressing

Problem #8

They shove the DLC in your face. DLC that I am NEVER going to buy. Im not going to pay real money for cars that only exist in a video game world and im not going to invest massive amounts of money in a game that I despise. When I say they shove it in your face, I mean it. When the game loads up, it takes you to the PS store automatically. What kind of game does that?? Also, at every menu and pause screen there are ways to get to the PS store. It makes me think that this game exists for the sole purpose of raking DLC profits.

problem #9

travel times. Once again, who was playing burnout 3 and said to themselves “hey. You know what this game needs? Travel times!”

problem #10

no crash mode. that is UNFORGIVABLE

Am I alone here? I dont see how I can be. I have seen this game get ratings from 8.5 to 9.5 and Im not surprised, really. When people spoonfeed sandbox game BS to the mainstream gaming media, they consume it hungrily. I dont care if im the only person on the planet who hates this game. I stand by it. I am 100% sure that this game is the worst of the burnout series. I  give it a 6/10

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 35 (1,059 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1195 posts

Re: sorry, but burnout paradise sucks

Sep 5, 2010

This is an example of everyone has their own opinion but I'm 98% certain you are in the minority on BP. And what follows is my opinion and observations.

1) Navigating the city is one of the main points of the setup. It's a point so you can find your way around plus learning to read the map. You learn the game through progression either in a car or on a bike. After all there are only 6 way points in the offline play besides the Quarry,Airfield,Wildcat Stadium and Big Surf Beach. To me in many aspects this is more like a rally race than an all out circuit race.

2) The menu setup for BP is one of the most simple ones I've come across in a game. It's fairly straight forward once you see the choices offered..

3) Sadly I believe splitscreen has become a thing of the past in racing games. This is sad because not everyone wants to jump online especially if you have a friend over to play (unless they bring their PS3 with them).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Sep 5, 2010

Yeah you're in the minority. Lots of people loved this game but some people wanted something along the lines of Burnout Revenge or Burnout 3: Takedown.

coolram62 wrote:

This is an example of everyone has their own opinion but I'm 98% certain you are in the minority on BP. And what follows is my opinion and observations.

1) Navigating the city is one of the main points of the setup. It's a point so you can find your way around plus learning to read the map. You learn the game through progression either in a car or on a bike. After all there are only 6 way points in the offline play besides the Quarry,Airfield,Wildcat Stadium and Big Surf Beach. To me in many aspects this is more like a rally race than an all out circuit race.

2) The menu setup for BP is one of the most simple ones I've come across in a game. It's fairly straight forward once you see the choices offered..

3) Sadly I believe splitscreen has become a thing of the past in racing games. This is sad because not everyone wants to jump online especially if you have a friend over to play (unless they bring their PS3 with them).

Agreed on 3. Video games now days have all the multiplayer online and once the servers shut down, so does the multiplayer. The multiplayer is a crucial part of many games when you have friends over. Split screen and local co-op are unfortunately dissapearing.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3465 posts

Sep 5, 2010

BP can't support split screen even if it wanted to. It's a big city with 60FPS. It would cause massive frame rate issues & the game would freeze up, slow down, etc..

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1498 posts

Sep 5, 2010
You can't exactly have a menu that lets you swap cars on the spot and have open world together...it's just too random and impractical.

problem #5: sounds more like you're just upset with it with no real reason. Aren't Barrel rolls, flat spins and giant jumps and billboards more than enough?

problem#6: Most of that is your problem and not the game's. A number of us got past those your mentioned.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Sep 5, 2010

“You can't exactly have a menu that lets you swap cars on the spot and have open world together...it's just too random and impractical.”

It is not impractical in any way. however, driving to the junk yard every time you need to switch cars IS impractical. It is time that is entirely wasted for no good reason. Do you even know what the word “impractical” means? When did “simple convenience” become synonymous with “impractical?” And don’t you dare tell me that it is unrealistic. The whole premise of this game is unrealistic (a city with no rules, laws pedestrians, or consequences). There is nothing wrong with something being unrealistic in a video game. Quit making excuses. There is no way to justify them not letting us switch vehicles at will. Get over it. It is a flaw, pure and simple.

"problem #5: sounds more like you're just upset with it with no real reason. Aren't Barrel rolls, flat spins and giant jumps and billboards more than enough?"

No, it is not even close to enough. All that stuff you mentioned means NOT innovation. All of the stunt elements have been done before and done better. The stunt physics are incredibly lacking in this game and there is no semblance of improvement or the evolution of the series. It is not acceptable work.

"problem#6: Most of that is your problem and not the game's. A number of us got past those your mentioned."

How is that only my problem? Its your problem too. You had to memorize the city and master the sub par navigation tools. That is time wasted. You shouldn’t have had to do it in the first place. Besides that, this game’s focus is all wrong. The map memorization is a pointless and absurd factor that should not exist in a burnout game. even if everyone memorizes the city that simply means people are all going to be trying different shortcuts to get to the finish line and wont even be interacting with each other through most of the race. How is that fun? How is that intense? Its pathetic. The old burnout games had nice long linear tracks in which people could race with gritty, competitive, white knuckle action, not having to worry about maps and shortcuts and all this BS. This system is inferior and it is an unnecessary pain. It is garbage.

"1) Navigating the city is one of the main points of the setup. It's a point so you can find your way around plus learning to read the map. You learn the game through progression either in a car or on a bike. After all there are only 6 way points in the offline play besides the Quarry,Airfield,Wildcat Stadium and Big Surf Beach. To me in many aspects this is more like a rally race than an all out circuit race."

And like I said, the premise is unnecessary and a waste of effort. You can adapt to nearly any bad game, but that doesn’t give the game merit.

"2) The menu setup for BP is one of the most simple ones I've come across in a game. It's fairly straight forward once you see the choices offered.."

That is just a plain lie, either that or you are just a total masochist. First of all, your menu features are split between the pause menu and your dpad menu, which is absurd and unnecessary. The Dpad menu alone is a pain to use. there really isnt much to debate here. you are wrong. this menu system is a mess. any gamer with viable experience will realize this.

"3) Sadly I believe splitscreen has become a thing of the past in racing games. This is sad because not everyone wants to jump online especially if you have a friend over to play (unless they bring their PS3 with them)."

Why should I care?? That only attempts to justify why it’s sub par. That doesn’t make it all better. If games devolve in features and gameplay for the sake of graphics than I will continue call them out on it.

Do you guys want to know what I think? I think that you are all suffering from an illness. you are suffering from a severe case of lowered standards and expectations. this game is garbage on every objective level. youre defenses of this game are completely insane and illogical (convenience is bad, scrambled menus are good!). it is because of people like you that more bad games (like this) are made than good ones are. You are suckers. You are gullible drones being spoon-fed feces and being told its caviar. You can keep believing that lie and you can keep telling it to yourself if you want. Its your money and time to waste.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Sep 5, 2010

arbitor365 wrote:

Do you guys want to know what I think? I think that you are all suffering from an illness. you are suffering from a severe case of lowered standards and expectations. this game is garbage on every objective level. youre defenses of this game are completely insane and illogical (convenience is bad, scrambled menus are good!). it is because of people like you that more bad games (like this) are made than good ones are. You are suckers. You are gullible drones being spoon-fed feces and being told its caviar. You can keep believing that lie and you can keep telling it to yourself if you want. Its your money and time to waste.

While you are allowed to share your opinion you aren't allowed to force it on others (As said here by a former Admin here.). We actually liked the game while you hate it. Many games people thought were bad others considered good. Illness, excuse me?We actually liked exploring this big city. For once you weren't subjected to just a menu. We could roam around and crash like nuts in an insane number of cars. We could try smashing all these gates, billboards, and jumping these amazingly high jumps. It was enjoyable exploring the city and doing all this stuff.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 35 (1,059 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
379 posts

Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, but your opinion sucks

#1: No, an open world does not work for every series. I agree with that. It would not make any sense in a game like Gran Turismo, and it would be wildly impractical in a game like COD. But I think it works very well in BP. Do you have any idea how quickly I would have lost interest with the game if it was not open world? I would have played through it once and then it would sit on a shelf. I would maybe take it down a few times a month. But the open world gives you freedom to do what you want, when you want. As a result, I'm still playing, well over a year after I bought the game.

#2: There is nothing "painstaking" about finding traffic lights. They're at almost every intersection... And don't say that it's hard to find any particular event. If you liked it enough, you would remember where it is.

#3: The menu is very easy to use. I have never had any problems using it. The Easy drive menu has things that are used often, and the pause menu has everything else. The map is very easy to access, as is the online play. You have no reason to complain here.

#4: As AOS mentioned, that would be very strange in an open world game. The junkyards are scattered throughout the city, so you never have to go very far to find one. And if you don't know where one is, you can pull up the map by pressing select. not by going through some massively complex menu system like in other games.

#5: I agree that there is little innovation, but it is not a step back, as you describe it. 

#6a: The compass lets you know that your going in the general direction of your goal

b: If you learn the city, then you know what turns are sharp. If you have any skill whatsoever, you won't have any trouble with these turns. If you don't want to learn the layout of the city, you can still check the map and the compass and see what turns are coming up.

c: Maybe you have vision problems, because I have no problem seeing cars on the road. Avoiding obstacles is common sense. It's a city, you know that there are cars parked on the side of the road, you know that there are dividers and walls and guardrails and islands in the middle of some roads. I assume you know about the buildings. Oh, and most cities AREN'T built for racing. Paradise City is much better than, say, LA or NYC or London...

d: Navigation is not that difficult. And how can dodging traffic or flying off cliffs not intense?

e: Ummmm... Evidently I do. Once you race around enough, you know the city fairly well. Evidently you are lazy and have no concept of fun. because flying around a city AT WILL and soaring off massive jumps AT WILL is much better than racing a track over and over and over and OVER again. I've memorized this map, and I memorized the map from NFS:Carbon too. It comes with time

*sighs* Just go play Blur or Split Second if you want closed tracks. You're ridiculous.

#7: No there isn't. There isn't in a lot of games now. And what are you gonna do about it?

#8: It does not take you the the PS Store automatically. THAT is a lie. There is one menu on the pause screen that is for buying DLC. THAT'S IT. You're making stuff up now.

#9: I can make it from the observatory to the wildcat stadium in under 4 minutes. That is not very long. It's about how long it takes to take a dump, which I assume you do all the time without complaining. Then again, maybe you don't...

#10: Never seen crash mode, so I cant really say anything here, but the rest of the game is good enough that this is nothing but nitpicking.

Am I alone here? I dont see how I can be. I have seen this game get ratings from 8.5 to 9.5 and Im not surprised, really. When you add an element like open world to a game like Burnout, it makes things better. I know I'm not the only one with this opinion, and I stand by it. I am 100% sure that this is one of the greatest games I have ever played. I give it a 10/10.

If you don't like it, go play MW2 like everyone else is doing. But don't post a ridiculous and inaccurate list of all the things you hate about BP on a forum filled with those who are actually having fun playing one of the best racing games ever.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1498 posts

Sep 6, 2010

arbitor365 wrote:

“You can't exactly have a menu that lets you swap cars on the spot and have open world together...it's just too random and impractical.”

It is not impractical in any way. however, driving to the junk yard every time you need to switch cars IS impractical. It is time that is entirely wasted for no good reason. Do you even know what the word “impractical” means? When did “simple convenience” become synonymous with “impractical?” And don’t you dare tell me that it is unrealistic. The whole premise of this game is unrealistic (a city with no rules, laws pedestrians, or consequences). There is nothing wrong with something being unrealistic in a video game. Quit making excuses. There is no way to justify them not letting us switch vehicles at will. Get over it. It is a flaw, pure and simple.

How is driving to a junkyard impractical? You are driving a car and you want to GO and switch to another car, you HAVE to GO somewhere to go GET it...This is absolutely realistic, because cars don't magically appear out of nowhere, am I correct or am I living on another planet?.... I'm not making an excuse, you don't go very well in depth with your argument and instead you just jmp to conclusions saying it's a flaw... but whatever, if you insist its a flaw, that's fine...

"problem #5: sounds more like you're just upset with it with no real reason. Aren't Barrel rolls, flat spins and giant jumps and billboards more than enough?"

No, it is not even close to enough. All that stuff you mentioned means NOT innovation. All of the stunt elements have been done before and done better. The stunt physics are incredibly lacking in this game and there is no semblance of improvement or the evolution of the series. It is not acceptable work.

Ok so How is it lacking? Explain. Barrel rolls, Flat spins and hand brakes are new to the series. I don't even know what innovation means... But I'm getting the feeling you are just a bit salty over something, not like I should bother finiding out..

"problem#6: Most of that is your problem and not the game's. A number of us got past those your mentioned."

How is that only my problem? Its your problem too. You had to memorize the city and master the sub par navigation tools. That is time wasted. You shouldn’t have had to do it in the first place. Besides that, this game’s focus is all wrong. The map memorization is a pointless and absurd factor that should not exist in a burnout game. even if everyone memorizes the city that simply means people are all going to be trying different shortcuts to get to the finish line and wont even be interacting with each other through most of the race. How is that fun? How is that intense? Its pathetic. The old burnout games had nice long linear tracks in which people could race with gritty, competitive, white knuckle action, not having to worry about maps and shortcuts and all this BS. This system is inferior and it is an unnecessary pain. It is garbage.

Memorizing the map wasn't troublesome. I put the effort to know my way around the city and I don't mind driving places. This open world thing is one of the reasons why I love this game.

The reason why not everyone tries a new route is either their lack of will to try a new route, OR they found the quickest route and will stick to that, simple as that.

Race? They are intense , play against people who know their way around the place and you'll know how intense the game is. The reason why people could do this Battle Racing in previous Burnouts was because everyone had to take the same route, If you're worried about maps then you haven't memorized a designated route, and thus, your problem. It's inferior because you chose not to accept it, you chose not to improve yourself. Blame the game all you want, it's not gonna get any better with an attitude like that.

Garbage? Trollin' much? I bit the bait, but I will voice my points and then you can have the rest of it, because I have a feeling you won't bother caring.

"1) Navigating the city is one of the main points of the setup. It's a point so you can find your way around plus learning to read the map. You learn the game through progression either in a car or on a bike. After all there are only 6 way points in the offline play besides the Quarry,Airfield,Wildcat Stadium and Big Surf Beach. To me in many aspects this is more like a rally race than an all out circuit race."

And like I said, the premise is unnecessary and a waste of effort. You can adapt to nearly any bad game, but that doesn’t give the game merit.

The Navigating of the City was supposed to be a way to allow people to take any sort of route they want. Of course the metagame says otherwise.

So how is it unecessary? How is it a waste of effort? I want a detailed explanation.

"2) The menu setup for BP is one of the most simple ones I've come across in a game. It's fairly straight forward once you see the choices offered.."

That is just a plain lie, either that or you are just a total masochist. First of all, your menu features are split between the pause menu and your dpad menu, which is absurd and unnecessary. The Dpad menu alone is a pain to use. there really isnt much to debate here. you are wrong. this menu system is a mess. any gamer with viable experience will realize this.

Pressing start is the PAUSE menu. The Easy Drive Menu is basically a summarized version of the pause menu. There is no actual main menu to the game... the goal was to eliminate that according to Criterion Games. Hence why driving to an intersection starts an event and driving to a junkyard allows you to change cars. Setting up an event and selecting a car is normally apart of the menu... An with THAT gone, this is CG's solution. Like it or not that's how it's going to be. Don't like it? Your problem.. deal with it.

Easy Drive Menu's a pain to use? Oh well isn't that too bad? Deal with it. No one is wrong when it's an opinion. You're wrong for rejecting opinions, troll. Complain all you like, it aint changing a thing.

"3) Sadly I believe splitscreen has become a thing of the past in racing games. This is sad because not everyone wants to jump online especially if you have a friend over to play (unless they bring their PS3 with them)."

Why should I care?? That only attempts to justify why it’s sub par. That doesn’t make it all better. If games devolve in features and gameplay for the sake of graphics than I will continue call them out on it.

Keep on hatin', troll. You have no idea what making video games are like if you have no problem complaining at will.

Do you want to know what I think? I think you are an obvious troll who tries too hard to put down a game with very little explanation. You are suffering from a thing I call the Oh-I-know-everything-about-gaming-and-this-game-sucks-because-I-suck-at-this-game-and-refuse-to-learn-to-get-better. You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something.You're an idiot whos overcompensating for something. You are an ignorant troll who is going to be reported. Case Dismissed.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4212 posts

Sep 6, 2010

This is essentially what crash mode is slash168 to give you an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT4x4pABBxA It truly is a blast and is a little more fun than Showtime. I did this moments ago in Burnout 3: Takedown. Man nothing like an exploding car in the morning.:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 35 (1,059 Views)
0 Likes