Oct 19 2008
By: parliboy First Son 3 posts

Wireless Buzz Controllers on PC -- Help?

8 replies 2207 views Edited Oct 19, 2008

So, by all accounts, the wired Buzz controllers play very nice on the PC.  I'd like to be able to use the wireless Buzz controllers this way, as well, for a project I'm doing.  But I'm having no success.  The PC recognizes that there is something there (wbuzz), but no button presses actually register.  This is very frustrating, to say the least.  This isn't a sync issue -- the controls are synced just fine.

I'd like to buy about a half dozen buzzer sets, and it's rather annoying that I'm here saying, "Let me give you money", but yet I can't.  I know beyond a doubt that wireless USB joysticks aren't hard to pull off (they've had them on PCs for years), so what's the deal guys?  Why the proprietary change that is making this an obstacle?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Re: Wireless Buzz Controllers on PC -- Help?

Oct 21, 2008
what are you trying to do with the controllers?
Have you seen it? It's great! They got stuff!!!!

PSN = DamCam323
XBL = SoSe323
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 21, 2008
I am trying to use them as an all-purpose system for my classrooms and some small conventions.  Basically the functionality that exists in the PS2 buzzers are great, except that they're wired.  The fact that the new buzzers are wireless is great, but they've stripped out functionality (and the fact that the new buzzers are PS2 compatible implies that they have stripped out functionality, rather than "it just doesn't work").
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 17, 2009

Dunno if you've had any luck with this.

I believe I know what's going on. I think the wireless controllers are implementing a power saving measure where they do not fully "sync" with the transmitter unless they receive a "lamp-on" message from the transmitter.  If after some period of time with not receiving messages from the transmitter, they'll then auto-shutdown.

I think when you normally connect in the game itself (and in the older ps2 versions), the game will force the lamp on.  But when you're connecting via your PC, it probably doesn't happen.

The older controllers, being wired, didn't care. 

It should be possible to control the lamp from your pc, but it requires some programming and isn't a simple plug and play matter.

http://www.vsj.co.uk/articles/display.asp?id=600

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (2,207 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Feb 2, 2009

Hi all,

Any idea where to get the API documentation for the wireless Buz! buzzers?

I'd love to programm a quiz for the wireless buzzers. I already have software for the 'wired' buzzers, but would like to convert this to wireless.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 12, 2009
If you want to create and host your own multimedia quiz show on your pc, using Sony Buzz! Buzzers, QuizXpress is exactly what you need! Please visit http://www.quizxpress.com for more information.
Message Edited by quizmachine on 11-12-2009 01:48 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 15, 2009

how many ps3 wirelesss buzzer i can use simultaneous in this game, www.quizxpress.com ?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 8, 2010
With the QuizXpress Pro version we recommend 16 buzzers maximum, although one of our customers successfully used 28.
Message Edited by quizmachine on 01-08-2010 01:53 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 3, 2011

Sorry for the Thread Necromancy everyone!

I'd just like to say that I've been trying to get the Wireless Buzz! Controllers working on my PC, and this forum post and 2 blog entries are the only resources available.

However, noone really seemed to have a definative answer till now.

I can confirm that I followed the steps laid out at SoundTherapy.org.uk and got the controllers working on my first attempt!

They've even got a video showing the pads in action after they've been set up.

http://www.soundtherapy.org.uk/253/wireless-switch-article/

Sorry for raising this thread once again, but like I say there's next to no information on this, and if it saves someone else a few hours of work it's all worth it!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (2,207 Views)
0 Likes