Nov 25 2013
By: PunchOut85 First Son 17 posts

Help recovering stolen PS4.

54 replies 76641 views Edited Nov 25, 2013

Hello, I'm going around to various sites asking for help, I had my PS4 stolen three days ago from my house while I was at work. I was wondering if anyone had the slightest clue how to recover something stolen like that.

I called Sony and the "representative" was EXTREMELY rude and she laughed and said no when I asked her if they had trackers in the new consoles. It's a well known fact, if you steal a smart phone and activate it, you get caught, if you steal certain laptops or tablets and sign in, the cameras can show you the face of your burglar. So WHY does the PS4, or the Xbox one not have such a feature?

I have reported it stolen to the police, they took my serial number from the box and logged it in a data file so if it gets pawned it will be returned to me, but I know this wont happen as it was directly next to my ps3, about a thousand dollars in gaming equipment, as well as a $700.00 diamond necklace that was all for the taking, it was all left behind telling me whoever took my console, was not looking to sell it, they just wanted it for themselves.

I had installed the PS4 driod app on my phone so I could keep up with my buddies while I was at work and see what they were playing, or just browse the store, ALL great features for the ps4 and I was incredibly impressed with the fluidness of the application. So I was wondering if any tech savvy people out there could lend a helping hand and give me some advice. I've since bought a fire arm, and am looking into surveillance cameras to put around my property, I live in a really nice neighborhood so it shames me to have to do it, but having never been broken into before has left me feeling a little spooked and helpless.

This is NOT a plea for a free console, nor is it a pity letter I simply want to find my console, and put the culprit away. In my state over $500.00 stolen goods equals a felony and I plan on burning his arse to the fullest extent of the law.

In the small case a Sony higher-up sees this, you are a slight problem with your on hand representatives (phone service ones, I don't know about online reps) I was pretty shocked to be chuckled at as I was told no, it was like it was a joke to them and I'm sure when I hung up I was probably being made a joke of, which is pretty sad on their part.

If all else fails, I will be getting another console, but won't let a soul know I have it. Please please please offer any help you can because even though I know its fact I just CAN'T BELIEVE there are not online monitoring systems that can located a stolen console if it's registered to the internet.

Thanks in advance for any help, I really do appreciate it.

Message 1 of 55 (76,641 Views)
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Re: Help recovering stolen PS4.

Nov 25, 2013
I don't know of any console with a tracking device on it. Did someone break into your house? Could it be someone you know? Sony can't really do anything for you at this point. Do you have renter insurance?

Keep an eye out for craigslist for a ps4 without a box or any accessories sold.
Message 2 of 55 (76,634 Views)
First Son
17 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2013

Well I'm kind of a recluse, no one really knows where I live as I don't have many friends in the town I live in. And yes, my back door was kicked in. I've went through in my head a hundred times who could have done it but no, there isn't anyone I know of.

One thing they forgot was the charger cable that hooks from the controller to the console, so I went to gamestop and asked them to let me know when someone comes in asking to buy one, so I can look at their surveillance and see if I recognize them, but even still I can't blame everyone who has a dog that chews their cord or something. Hope is pretty much at 0...just thought I would give it a shot, really sucks someone would risk their life and freedom over a silly video game system.

And no, there never has been a game console to include tracking, does anyone agree this is incredibly ignorant? Especially when almost all consoles have been released toward the end of the year, when the holidays are nearing. Tracking is fairly old technology, so why can we surf the internet while on a loading screen, or play a game while it downloads, but can't locate a stolen console, just blows my **bleep** mind....

Message 3 of 55 (76,627 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Nov 25, 2013

I was joking with a guy from work the other day about storing my console in my gun safe and playing it.  My safe has an electrical outlet and an ethernet outlet.  There just wasn't any way to run the HDMI cable out of it to the TV.  So I leave the door open when I'm playing and then lock it up when I'm at work.  My girlfriend thought I was just being ridiculous.  Going to link her to your post.

Message 4 of 55 (76,618 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Nov 25, 2013

A few things:

- You will probably never see that console again, or the person that stole it, let alone be able to "burn their arse". Electronic theives are nearly impossible to catch once they're out of your door. Either get insurance or do a better job of keeping your residence protected.

- You're very misguided about how the recovery of smart phones and computers works. It's very rare that ANYONE will ever get their merchandise back once it is stolen. There are apps for smart phones that can GPS locate the devices, but any two-bit thief knows how to disable those immediately. Computers can only be traced to a wifi address, and even if you deliver this information to the police, it is STILL not enough for them to take any action, as they have no proof that you did not sell the device to whoever is using it. They still cannot get a warrant to search the residence, and that's even in the best of situations, when the "tracking" software is working properly.

- The PS4 is not a personal computer, so software like the above mentioned is not developed to work with the PS4 OS. Also, the above software is used for laptops, you know, mobile devices. Nobody puts tracking software on their desktops. Even if the PS4 did, for some reason, have this software, all the thief would need to do is replace the harddrive upon theft. Which takes all of 30 seconds.

Not trying to be a **bleep**, but I used to work in several tech stores, and people would come in all the time **bleep** off that there isn't some magic way to track their **bleep**, because they refuse to try to understand how the technology works. It's illegal for companies to just track a device just because you say so, even if it were possible, which as I've explained it really isn't practical.

Message 5 of 55 (76,614 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2901 posts

Nov 25, 2013

no offense but I would've laughed for a second as well..... Consoles dont' have GPS chips in them.  They're not mobile tech so why would there be??? **bleep** you cant' even track a Vita i dont' think...............  I hope your home insurance covers theft, otherwise you're SOL.

Message 6 of 55 (76,612 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
87 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2013

And no, there never has been a game console to include tracking, does anyone agree this is incredibly ignorant?

Actually, all the consoles from the current and next-gen can actually be tracked in a way, the company can track the IP when a console's specific ID shows up online, if whoever decided to steal your console ever goes online with it. you need to contact sony directly.

as for actuall tracking, this is just ridiculous, just because something has been around for a while doesn't mean it can be cheaply used ,this is not an episode of NCIS.

Message 7 of 55 (76,610 Views)
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Nov 25, 2013
The thief probably will replace the hard drive so your personal info is gone. And unless he tries to pawn it, even then if it's a small mom and pop pawn shop, the police would not know. I keep my doors locked with two locks, and I have renters insurance too. Either way if it got stolen it would make more sense to buy another one since I would need to pay a 500 deductible.
Message 8 of 55 (76,605 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Nov 25, 2013
Not a bad idea at all, just make sure you don't overheat your console Addrenaline, last thing I want is my mishap to ruin someone else good time, guess I'll be finishing out my ps3 trophies until I save enough for another console. I feel nothing but pity for the person who did it, but when I find them, or if I find them, I'm going to ruin their life as much as I can. Console aside, someone was in my house and they need to be made an example of. I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone has any better advice (and I do appreciate the two who have commented in case you read that wrong). Have a good night/day and keep those consoles locked up!

Also want to hear something funny? I had rented Battlefield and Killzone for the ps4, had them sitting ON the console and they were nice enough to leave them behind lmao....such kind and caring **bleep** don't you think?
Message 9 of 55 (76,603 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 11, 2013

First off, you guys seem to not understand the fact that in order to do anything of importance on a console you need to plug it into a network via the Ethernet cable, which then connects to the internet. As soon as the thing is even plugged in, it sends basic information about the console, including the unique serial number as well as the IP address from which network you were connected to. An IP address is just as good as a physical street address, unless they're protected by a proxy of some sort, which would have to either run natively on the PS4 or on the router itself, and chances are a dirty thief that would stoop so low as to steal a console wouldn't be smart enough in the first place to understand how to shroud their internet connection.

Anyway, mine was stolen too. I pre-ordered it on Amazon and got it on launch day. I had it in the very far back of my '08 4 Runner and someone smashed out the window and randomly took my crappy old backpack in which the PS4 was contained. They took a chance at stealing the backpack, there was no way though could have known it had a brand new PS4 in it. Good luck for them.

What you have to do is file a police report, then request from the detective "investigating" your case to submit a subpoena to Sony requesting the information for what the idiot connected to the internet and registered the stolen serial number in Sony's database. Once they have the flagged stolen serial number associated with the IP address, the police have the right to try and retrieve said console. However, the trick is getting the police to actually give a crap about your video game console compared to actual "real crime" they're dealing with every day.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 55 (76,050 Views)