Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: How to access Playstation 3 SAFE MODE

May 31, 2010
It's possible that your drive is toast. Do you have any important data left on that drive? If not, use the restore PS3 system option instead to perform a quick format on the drive.
Message 91 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7003 posts

Jun 9, 2010

I'm having trouble trying to use the Safe Mode.

My PS3 has had this problem for quite a while. Before it would freeze up and show the background for the PS3 opening, then eventually it would just be a black screen with white dots, now its just a blank screen. I used the safe mode yesterday and when I would click any of the options the screen would seem as if it would begin to start updating or something but then the screen would go black. BTW the Safe Mode for my PS3 works once every now and then so its a pain in the ass.   

Message 92 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 14, 2010

Help! I have checked out various answers to my frozen screen/booting error which started with the wave freezing and gong no further. to now the total blank screen.

I suspect my son has quickly turned the PS3 off without waiting for game to save (ie Blue light blinking) anyway I thought I had sussed out the answer with the safe mode and got there but.......when it comes up "plug in controller and press ps button" it doesnt recognise the controller and all 4 controller lights flash and go out..... so I cannot get into safe mode. Is this a corrupt hard drive.....I have taken drive out and reset/reinserted which got me back to the sony wave but has now returned to the blank screen again. Help!

Message 93 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 28, 2010

Yeah. The official safe mode entry from the Knowledge Center helped me out. I have a 120 GB PS3 System only a couple old and my file system corrupted. Not sure how or why it happened. I have a 2 year warranty through Best Buy Geek Squad and Sony's 1 year warranty. Anyway, I hope it doesn't happen again-if it does I'll have to take it over to Best Buy. Maybe what caused the file corruption was turning off my ps3 when perhaps it was doanloading something in the background without me knowing. Sometimes when I want to shut off my PS3 there is a option to check a box saying automatically turn off my ps3 system after finish downloading or installation has been completed. Thinking there isnt anything that I am aware of that is downloading or installing, I just use the turn off option instead of checking the the special message that occurs at times about  automatically turn off my ps3 system after finish downloading or installation has been completed.

Thus far the only data that I lost was my messages that i send to friends or recieve. I may have lost my video or music files, but thankfully i didnt have any. So I found how to access safe mode and after using the Rebuild database option my ps3 seems to be working fine again.

Message 94 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

SAFE MODE Saved my PS3 from the Green Line of Death (Green light of nothing)

Jul 22, 2010

Here is my story.

My PS3 worked find up to about 3 weeks ago... I think a new update came out and I updated the PS3. It worked fine after the reboot until I shut it down. The following day I was looking forward to a few hours of COD MW2 of the PS3... But when I turned it on there was no picture No sound nothing... I checked the HDMI and tried a new cable to be sure... still the same. I tried to reboot it and it just kept beeping at me. I pulled the plug and did a hard reset and reset the video settings... still the same. At this stage I was getting worried. I took out the HDD and tried booting it. Ah Same. I put my hard drive into another PS3 and it worked fine. I even formatted the drive to see if that would make a difference. No!

***Just a side note. Your PS3 Will boot with no hard drive! It will tell you cannot find drive. ***

Now I was starting to think that the BIOS was erased during the firmware update! Of that the mother board was wrecked!

I spent 3 weeks looking for the problem and trying to find a fix. 3 F**king weeks! And I came up with nothing! Until I found this!

I went into safe mode and tried the Restore PS3 System and then rebooted. This still didn’t fix the problem. But I then went about downloading the latest firmware update for the PS3 on to a Sony Memory stick (from my PSP) via my laptop. The folder structure must be: PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDAT.PUP

• File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”.

***Note: Do not use an External HDD as I tried this and nothing happened! But try a normal USB flash drive that might work***

I put the memory stick and used the Safe mode Option: System Update. The PS3 then started scanning the memory stick for the update. This took 5 Minutes or so. I and then started updating. I followed the usual update crap going next and accepting the license etc. And then it stated updating. I was now on my knees praying that this would work.

After about 15 mins of updating it rebooted... I was still praying!

OH MY GOD! IT WORKED!!!

I needed to set up my PS3 from the start again set up my account and PSN account etc. But I didnt care! It worked! I couldnt believe it!

I would recommend this to any one with the Green Line of death or Green light of nothing.

Thank you for this safe mode! You saved me a alot of money!

War is the Answer!!!
Another best seller brought to you by Steeman89 AKA That Tayto Guy!

I got the Green Line of death and survived. Check out my Fix @:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/SAFE-MODE-Saved-my-PS3-from-the-Green-Line-of-Death-Green-light/m-p/45962871
Message 95 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 12, 2010

Hi, I had my PS3 60GB version since it came out and no problem until now. When I turn my PS3 On, nothing comes up in the screen and no audio, but the fans and everything on the PS3 are working normally I suppose. I have tried this Safe Mode options but when the last 2 beeps come up, nothing shows up in the screen still and the controller won't connect either. 

I need help on this please! It's been about 1 month since is been like this...

Message 96 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 9, 2010

Is this method old? Is the beepong sequence changed?

Goingo from 3.41 to 3.42 the installation goes up to 99%. Left it for 3hs, had to turn it off/on and it starts again.... in about 2 minutes it's at 99% again and nothing. I left it like 6hs.... nothing.

I try this method, and some times on step 2 I already get the double beep. But it always goes to installation from 0 to 99% and never to safe mode.

2 days of waiting.... this realy sucks....

Message 97 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 9, 2010

Step 2 doesnt exist for me.

I'm currently at the screen with installation at 99% and this is what I do:

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. AFTER ONLY 2-3 SECONDS I GET A DOUBLE BEEP. IF I RELEASE IT RESTARTS THE INSTALLATION, IF I CONTINUE IT POWERS OFF.
  4. I continue to be in this step.... never see the safe mode screen.

I'ts like sony trying to prevent pirates pushes real clients away....

Message 98 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 18, 2010
Finally I solved it before sending in by removing the HD and formating it at the PC
Message 99 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 24, 2010

After this 3.50 my PS3 is inoperable.  I cant get into safe mode.  I put the original hdd back in and its still not working.  I push the power button, initial beep and green light then 3 quick beeps and the light turns red and just blinks.  Idk what to do now, I know to never update my ps3 on the first day a firmware comes out from now on if i can get my fat ps3 working again.  Anyone have any input or suggestions?  I havent called sony yet as I work a funky schedule.  I am finally off today and plan on calling in a few hrs (after i get some sleep, just got off).  I'm so hoping i get someone competent because so far the responses I have been reading about from sony are indicating its a bad ps3 and software cant cause a failure, which is so untrue.  

Message 100 of 219 (776 Views)
0 Likes