Mar 22 2014
By: gregstone Splicer 66 posts

Next Gen My Ramen Noodle Eating Rear End !

31 replies 1023 views Edited Mar 22, 2014

Next Gen My Rear End. It takes balls to release your"Next Gen" console and advertise it as such ,when it performs less than ¼ of the functions of the previous console it's intended to replace ! As far as I'm concerned , the PS4 is as basic as it gets.The PS4 is like a PS2 on steroids,not even capable of ¼ of the features the PS3 provides. I realize there are planned updates and gadgets on the horizon. And that the PS4 supports 4K resolution and hopefully , this will somehow make up for the sub-standard 10% increase in frame rate over the PS3 Luckily , I haven't experienced any major problems with my console that some owners has. My system is very stable ,and the only problem I did have was due to a corrupted update file for WarFrame. And as usual , the people at SCEA were professional ,courteous ,and on top of their game,and have been with my every encounter with them. I'll go on record here and say that SCEA has the best customer services in the USA. ,and no other customer service department of any company can come remotely close to what you'll experience when dealing with SCEA . However, I do feel duped with my purchase of the PS4 because of the lack of functions out of the box. It's the only time in my 50 years that I've purchased an updated anything , that gave me LESS INSTEAD OF MORE. And its a trend with Sony that I'm seeing. The launch PS3 did it all at first. backwards compatibility with disc. The the trend of the TAKE AWAY BEGAN!!What did we see with the PS3 from the hardware aspect ?They took backwards compatibility away,then the USBports went from 4 down to 2. Then the card readers disappeared entirely,along with the OPTIONS install another operating system, and to upgrade your HDD without voiding the warranty.Then the touch response power and disc ejection went to a regular button that has to be pressed and it sounds like the console will rattle apart inserting a disc.Thankfully the PS4 has restored a little of the class back into the PS line by adding touch response back to the PS4 .Sharing is nice ,but you can't share or send photos,and it more problematic when dealing with your friends who are using PS3's. All my friends on the PS3's vow never to buy a PS4 because of these problems and lack of functions . I gotta say, and its embarrassing to say it too, but I think I've jumped the shark by buying the 4 at launch . And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm disabled and living on $1200.00 a month and I scrounged and saved every penny for nearly a YEAR to buy the PS4 only to be isolated from my friends on the PS3's . I made a big mistake buying launch this time, and I ate a lot of Ramen Noodles to do it . 

Message 1 of 32 (1,023 Views)
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Re: Next Gen My Ramen Noodle Eating Rear End !

Mar 22, 2014
Hi Gregstone,

1st off I want to say this post is not to be confrontational, BUT there are a few things you should have done before limiting your rations to buy a PS4.

The first should have been to understand what being an early adopter consists of, new tech is always just that...new. When PS3 came out it was $600 because it had all those features and it wasn't cost effective for Sony. That's why they took those features out with the Slim. It's basic business, when you're loosing more than you're making you need to change the product.

Secondly it is a brand new Operating System in the PS4, so all the software needs to be coded differently weather it's just 1 line or 100 lines of code these things take time. Also the app developers are the ones responsible for making these changes and getting a compatible version onto the PS4, it isn't Sony's obligation to do this. It took years for PS3 to get all the features and support it has now it didn't happen over night. PS4 just needs time for devs to update/make this content on PS4, being an early adapter means you need to have the new toy day 1 but it also means you need to br be patient.

Thirdly, if you don't have or want to play PS3 any more you and your friends should have thought this move out before jumping the gun. My friends and I had been discussing which new gen console we were going to jump on since E3 of last year. We all decided PS4 was the console for us and now we all have a PS4 and have a blast playing with each other. We also new what to expect from being early adapters, we usually get new pc hardware day 1 and know how lack of driver support can suck but after a few months everything usually gets ironed out.

Again I am not trying to attack your decision or sway you in anyway, but knowing what you're getting when you spend $400+ dollars on a new toy will give you certain expectations that are more realistic than, it's new and assuming it will have everything day 1.
Message 2 of 32 (1,002 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Mar 23, 2014

???? NEW?  The **bleep** PS4 has been out almost 6 months now.

Message 3 of 32 (959 Views)
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Hello Hycotuss, and thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting .Firstly let me say , incase you didnt notice. I a 50 years old and have been an early adopter means EXTREMELY WELL going as far back to Pong consoles and digital calculaters. In addition to those 2 ,here are just a few more items i have been an early adopter of. 600 dollar CD player in 1983,Atari game console systems ,cassette tape players,Comador 64 computer,an  IBM PC in 1984, Walkman cassette radio players by the dozens ,especially when they switched from cassette to CD . I've been an early adopter, handheld games,mp3 players ,All NES systems ftrom the 1st to the 3Ds,Sega Genessis, the firts Watchmans, the portable Sega color systems and adapting it to a tv. Laser Disc players in th mid 1970's when they were the size ov an LP record,VHS, the Phillips CDI in 1994 and then shelled out 400 more for a video card to play the VERY FIRST DVD's. Countless guitar effects and giutar synthesizer's . The Sega Saturn, ect,ect ,adnausium.

Now with more recent tech i've been an early adopter of . The first flat screnes, in various incarnations of  types ,such as Pasma ,LCD, ect. I purchased first active shutter 3D monitors and glasses for pc, ant 3D Plasma HDTV the 1st year they were available . I nearly went with DLP and my computer for 3D in 09, but waited and it paid off. Now as to the PlayStations 1,2,3,&4. With those there have been VASTLY GREATER IMPROVEMENTS with each of them except ??? The 4, and you greatly under estimated where i've been as an early adopter ,as i also have did it with the first MIDI devices in 87,and you've assumed too much . I didn't just come down with the last drop of rain.New OS or not , this is the first time the PlayStation didn't kick the snot out of the previous incarnation of it self. As to the OS? They've ALL had them, and as the cost of technology has become less expensive to produce , i fully expected the price point to drop or be equal to the PS3. So the line of code excuse doesn't draw much water with me. But what does is the obvious greed and competitivness with the XB1 and a new CEO at Sony and an obvious need to turn a bigger profit than the CEO before him.As i said, this is the 1st time a PlayStation hasn't blown the doors off the 1 before it. To charge more than 400 for this???Whatever this thingumajig is supposed to morph into would've been robbery. 

More likely 

Message 4 of 32 (957 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 23, 2014

And i still cannot find a camera at any store or online, which changes the price point a good bit whe added

Message 5 of 32 (955 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 23, 2014

There is no defending the lack of functions of this thingumajig except greed.

Message 6 of 32 (954 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Firstly, my eyes are bleeding. Now, you should have done your research before making your purchase, but, you didn't did you? So now, you come here wanting to make this look like it's Sony fault for not informing you on what they were doing. Do you know that actually this is your fault not Sony? I'm sure you do, you just don't want to admit you made a mistake so you come here to vent and complain. Why not be informed on your purchases before you make them? If it really was as hard to save up for the PS4 as you say, once again, do your homework, and read up on your purchase! Sorry if this comes off as rude, but so many people complain about things they would have known if they would have read up on what was/is/isn't available at launch and what will be available later on.

Message 7 of 32 (952 Views)
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 23, 2014

My decision to buy the PS3 at launch was to play GTA 4 ,which was exclusive to the PS3 at the time as was to be released in April ,if memory serves righ. But it was delayed several times pushing it back over a year from its original release date for the XBox version. Then when it finally  was released i had 1 of the consoles that froze after the opening sequence and had to wait (very patiently ) for my 3 chip unit to be replaced  with a 2 chip emulator console . And i've  raised 5 kids ,3 of them our nieces , so i think i've aquired more than the average Joe's share of patients . 

Message 8 of 32 (949 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Mar 23, 2014
Not trying to start anything....but...are you 50 or in your 50's?

If you are 50, I would love to know the job you had when you were in your early 20's that gave you the income to buy a $600 CD player....or a new laser disc player in 1974 ( if you're 50 you were born in 1963/1964). And you'd be around 10 in the mid 1970's.

Like I said not trying to start anything but I wanted to make sure I was reading your post right
Message 9 of 32 (942 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Mar 23, 2014

You cretinous twit. You comment on my concerns with the intention of being rude and apologize for it "if it seems like its coming off as rude"in the same breath. What a phony you are. Its reasonable to expect the same improvement i've experienced with every past  purchase of a Sony product i've made in the past. I did do my research and knew the selling point to be an improved social experience , their words here , not mine "AT FIRST ".I have a VERY REASONABLE EXPECTATION this far down the garden path to have their so-called NEXT GEN to ,at a minimum perform the functions of the "PREVIOUS GEN". What kind of **bleep** bag company has the nerve to call something " NEXT GENERATION" and sell it as such, but give it less functions than their PREVIOUS GEN ? Ohhhhh ,Sony, thats the kind of company that does that apparently . As there were cautions on extended 3D viewing in the owners manual on 11-15-2013 it's entirely reasonable to expect at minimum 3D BluRay by 03-23-2014 , wouldn't most non-fanboys agree ? I can abide a lot of things ,but a coward and a phony are 2 things i can't abide in. You've managed to demonstrate both of those character liabilities in one breath.  

Message 10 of 32 (941 Views)
0 Likes