Apr 17 2014
By: ArmaghRed92 First Son 11 posts

PS4 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 1

[ Edited ]
73 replies 5474 views Edited Apr 17, 2014

Hey guys,

Ive been researching headsets for the PS4 lately and for my price range, the Skullcandy PLYR 1 seems to be the best, although, there are some reviews on the Skullcandy website which say that the microphone volume on the headset is very low, and their friends can barely hear them. So, can anyone who use the Skullcandy PLYR 1 for the PS4 please give me some feedback about the microphone please?

Thanks.

Mod Edit: Added label. Want to learn more about labels? Click here! -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 74 (5,474 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6034 posts

Re: PS4 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 1

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2014

Here's a good stating point.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/REVIEW-Skullcandy-PLYR1-Gaming-Headset/td...

Now to answer your question, yes the Mic Volume is low but only when you don't use the Turtle Beach chat cable. The cable is cheap and doubles the input volume sensitivity. It bothered me at first to have my controller kinda tethered to my headset but quickly got over it as when I use my headset its mostly when I have the controller in my hand anyway.

To give you a bit of hope though, the low Mic Volume isn't that much of an issue as I still use headset at times without the cable and walk around my house talking to my buds and they can still hear me fine. You'll need to have the Mic extremely near your mouth when doing this though, almost to the point of it touching your lips. Chat cable is just an optional fix to double your voice volume.

Message 2 of 74 (5,465 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Apr 17, 2014

Hi da1writer,

Im new to the forums and dont see a reply or quote button next to your post so I just clicked the one next to mine.  Anyway, thanks for the reply, i see in that thread you linked you said "You also must switch the audio settings to Chat Only to have this properly work" with regards to the turtlebeach cable way of increasing sound, does that mean I will only hear sound chat audio through the headset and not any game audio etc?

Thanks

Message 3 of 74 (5,451 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6034 posts

Apr 17, 2014

ArmaghRed92 wrote:

Hi da1writer,

Im new to the forums and dont see a reply or quote button next to your post so I just clicked the one next to mine.  Anyway, thanks for the reply, i see in that thread you linked you said "You also must switch the audio settings to Chat Only to have this properly work" with regards to the turtlebeach cable way of increasing sound, does that mean I will only hear sound chat audio through the headset and not any game audio etc?

Thanks

Your game audio will come through the optical cable and your chat audio will come through the chat cable/controller but you'll hear all audio sources through the headset no matter what. What the chat audio [option] does is it allows you to control your parties chat volume through the system itself independently from the actual headset (it's also being amped to increase voice sensitivity).

This also brings a new layer of inputs as let's say you want to stay in party chat on PS4 but want to play Dark Souls 2 on PS3 at the same time. Now you will be able to by just plugging the optical to the PS3 [other end in the PLYR1's base of course) but leave your controller and PS4 on (with the chat cable connected) to continue chatting. It's pretty cool once you figure it out the first time.

Message 4 of 74 (5,444 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Apr 17, 2014

Ah, right, thanks for the info.

The PLYR1 does seem the best for me then, but before I commit, what do you think of some of the others, e.g. the Turtlebeach PX4 (would be £50 cheaper for me), or the Tritton 720+ (http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/720plus.asp)?

Thanks

Message 5 of 74 (5,435 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6034 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2014

ArmaghRed92 wrote:

Ah, right, thanks for the info.

The PLYR1 does seem the best for me then, but before I commit, what do you think of some of the others, e.g. the Turtlebeach PX4 (would be £50 cheaper for me), or the Tritton 720+ (http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/720plus.asp)?

Thanks

Neither, they aren't as good sound quality and surround sound wise compared to the PLYR1. While the PLYR1 have the Skullcandy branding behind them, the actual headset was made by Astro, a company they bought and merged into their company. Their pricing on the PLYR1 is Tom foolery imo as they should be worth $300 but are priced for $180. Heck, the head-fi website are huge audiophiles and believe headsets are worthless compared to actual [good] headphones. The only headset they recommend, highly at that, is the PLYR1's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-...

Message 6 of 74 (5,430 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Apr 17, 2014

And what about the comfort of the PLYR1, some reviews have said they feel a bit tight compared to other headsets, and what about after a couple of hours of wearing them?

Thanks again

Message 7 of 74 (5,421 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6034 posts

Apr 17, 2014

They're quite comfortable but the cups are a bit snug, so hopefully you don't have big ears (no offense). You may need to have the rest over a shoebox overnight (stretched) to loosen it a bit if you find it too tight for your head. I've had no issues so far in regards to comfort for mine. I've done all nighters with these so comfort again is quite good.

Message 8 of 74 (5,412 Views)
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

Alright, thanks very much for all the info, you've been a big help, i'll prob order these soon then, as well as one of those cables to increase the chat sound

Message 9 of 74 (5,409 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6034 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2014

ArmaghRed92 wrote:

Alright, thanks very much for all the info, you've been a big help, i'll order these soon then, as well as one of those cables to increase the chat sound

No problem, if you have any questions in regards to all things Playstation, feel free to come on the forum. There are plenty here who are helpful, welcoming, and great to talk to Smiley Happy!

Message 10 of 74 (5,401 Views)