Apr 18, 2014

Cheers, will do!

Message 11 of 74 (1,616 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Re: PS4 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 1

Apr 18, 2014

I have the Skullcandy PLYR1 and love them.  I came from the Sony Pulse and its a HUGE difference.  They're quite comfortable, sound is terrific, set up is a breeze.  I haven't used the mic yet so I can't comment on that.  The only issue Im having with them is the sound still comes out of my tv speakers when I use them with the PS4.  Its not a huge deal as I just have to remember to turn the volume to 0 on my tv, but something to mention nonetheless.

Message 12 of 74 (1,610 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

I never updated my original review that is linked in the first post here, but further testing with the mic came out with the same results as pretty much everyone else. Really low voice output unless you can get it directly in front of your mouth. If the mic was a tiny bit longer it could be in front of your mouth but its too short and only hits the edge of your lip lol

I haven't tried the Turtle Beach chat cable yet but I think I'm going to order it now since more people are saying it works! I tried a cheap 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable but it didn't work at all, so I have more confidence in the TB. Thanks for the info and I'll update that review when I get it.

Soundwise - the directionality and sound quality is so great for gaming. You can't go wrong with the PLYR 1, especially if you can get for $129.99. There might still be a few places selling it for that price. Good luck!

EDIT: Bestbuy has them on clearance for $129.99 but its in-store only. Whatever they have in the stores is all they are selling. You have to get lucky and have a store near you  that still has them.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/plyr1-gaming-wireless-headset-for-xbox-360-and-playstation-3/8828355.p?i... &cp=1&lp=5

Message 13 of 74 (1,601 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Apr 18, 2014

Im in Ireland, unfortunately in this case.  I came on to the US forums because it seems the PLYR1's arent sold anywhere in the UK, or even any UK based websites, cant find it anywhere! So i knew if i came on to the US forums, i'd be able to get more answers to my questions as more people on the US forums will have it.  The only place I can buy it is from the official Skullcandy website, and it is £150 GBP / $250 USD!!  Which is why I was previously asking about a couple of other headsets as thats quite dear.  Still leaning towards these though.

Message 14 of 74 (1,583 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Apr 18, 2014
@ArmaghRed92

At that price if you prefer wireless, you might want to look into the Steelseries H. While I have not heard them, they have seen decent reviews. They use the same surround tech as the Plyr1's, have a programmable EQ and two swappable batteries rated at 20 hours each.
Message 15 of 74 (1,566 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Apr 18, 2014

Thanks for the reccommendation murderstyle, they seem very good, although I think I have my heart set on the PLYR1's.

Has anyone else used the turtle beach cable for chat with the PLYR1's? Did it work well for you too?  Just want to be sure before I buy Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 74 (1,558 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2014

ArmaghRed92 wrote:

Im in Ireland, unfortunately in this case.  I came on to the US forums because it seems the PLYR1's arent sold anywhere in the UK, or even any UK based websites, cant find it anywhere! So i knew if i came on to the US forums, i'd be able to get more answers to my questions as more people on the US forums will have it.  The only place I can buy it is from the official Skullcandy website, and it is £150 GBP / $250 USD!!  Which is why I was previously asking about a couple of other headsets as thats quite dear.  Still leaning towards these though.

Darn. I just checked other sites (Sonix Electronics, eBay) and they have them available for $169.99, but international shipping is minimum $52 from what I've seen.

I would check more eBay listings since I didn't do a full search. See if there's an international seller with good international shipping rates and a high rating.

Other than that, you might be out of luck for now. My guess though is that Skullcandy is not stopping here, and they may announce a new model soon that will out-do the PLYR1 is some way, in which case you could get a new model and write a review for us PLYR 1 users Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 74 (1,540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Apr 19, 2014

@da1writerThanks

@Kickflipper1087Yea, ive looked around some US sites and Amazon & Ebay US etc and the shipping and tax etc bring it to around the same price as the official website.  I'm too impatient to wait and see if they come out with a new model haha, I think I'll just bite the bullet soon and order the PLYR1 from the Skullcandy website and get that chat cable off Ebay.

Message 19 of 74 (1,530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

May 2, 2014

I was also looking into getting this headset for my current PS3 and PS4 when I get one this summer. I found the Skullcandy PLYR 1 on Amazon for $135 and thought it would be a good buy for my first headset.

Is this the chate cable you are reffering to?:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/cables-parts/ps4-chat-cable/464

Message 20 of 74 (1,463 Views)
0 Likes