Jan 30 2014
By: TheTonySlayer First Son 11 posts
Accepted Solution

PS4 Not Compatible with New Samsung Spinpoint M9T

83 replies 66648 views Edited Jan 30, 2014
I'm posting this so others will not make my mistake and hopefully Sony will provide a fix or Seagate.

The Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB (ST2000LM003) is not compatible with the PS4 in it's current state.  The PS4 will not cold boot when the M9T hard drive is installed.  Several other customers have had this problem:

Per Sony's specs, this Seagate is the only 9.5mm 2TB solution that is compatible for the PS4, but it does not boot properly.

After extensive testing with the M9T 2TB hard drive, I came to the conclusion a timing issue exists with either the M9T hard drive and the PS4 that causes the PS4 to fail to boot and do a proper HDMI handshake.  I can jerry rig the get the PS4 to boot. There's two methods I got this to work:

1. With the PS4 power off, pull the HDD out and power on the system.  Plug it back in immediately after seeing the PS4 logo. This will get the PS4 to boot normally. This option is not very viable because you have to leave the case off.

2. Unplug the HDMI cable or switch inputs on your Receiver/TV when the PS4 is powered off or rebooting. After the fan powers up fully as the hard drive is not quite spun up, plug in the HDMI cable or switch inputs back to the right input. Timing with the HDMI cable is about 3 seconds after boot. Switching inputs with my receiver, it's about 1.5 seconds. This gets the PS4 to boot consistently without messing with the hard drive and leaving the case on.

When putting the PS4 in standby, you don't have to do anything special to get the system powered up.

As you can see, the problem is a timing issue with the PS4 and the M9T hard drive. The 2TB hard drive works great otherwise. I believe this can be easily fixed in a firmware update with the PS4. The hard drive causes a delay in the boot cycle I think and delays the HDMI handshaking with the TV. When the HDMI doesn't handshake properly, you get the blue light of death (BLOD). So modifying the power up sequence of the hard drive or hand shaking sequence with the HDMI switching will allow you to boot successfully if you get the timing just right.

It's too bad the only 2TB 9.5mm drive is not compatible with the PS4 in it's current state.
Message 1 of 84 (66,648 Views)
MVP Support
29442 posts

Re: PS4 Not Compatible with New Samsung Spinpoint M9T

Jan 30, 2014

Sony doesn't guarantee that every drive that physically fits in the PS4, and meets the basic specifications, will actually work with the console. Seagate had to do some unusual things in the design of that drive to put enough data on each platter to provide 2TB of capacity in the 9.5mm form factor.  I expect that the PS4 is not the only device designed a couple of years ago that would have compatibility issues with it. 

GKP
Message 2 of 84 (66,640 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 2, 2014

I came to the conclusiion if your PS4 came with the HGST hard drive, it does not work with samsung hard drive 1TB or 2TB.

After asking around on the net, others have had similar problems to me.  It turns out a correlation has been found between what the PS4 original hard drive came with.  Mine came with a HGST.  Others have come with Samusng Spinpoints.  If yours came with a HGST, it appears you will not have luck with the Spinpoint 2TB or 1TB.  If yours came with the Samsung, it should work fine with the Spinpoint hard drives.

Message 3 of 84 (66,530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 18, 2014

In my console was installed by default samsung hdd, but i too have this problem with m9t. Maybe ps4 just can't handle 2tb normally?

Message 4 of 84 (66,298 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Feb 20, 2014

I hope they get it working. I was about to buy on untill I read this.

Message 5 of 84 (66,154 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 2, 2014
I had the same issue with the 1TB Spinpoint m8t. I believe the issue is with the Samsung/Seagate drives.
Message 6 of 84 (65,700 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Mar 4, 2014
just get A 1.5TB HGST HDD and be done with it the 1.5tb is more than enough for now
Message 7 of 84 (65,550 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Mar 7, 2014

Thanks fox_1047.  I guess the M9T 2TB hard drive (and the M8T 1TB) is just not compatible with PS4.  I reported this issue to Sony's phone support with the hope that if enough people complain, they may resolve the problem.  Others should follow suit.  I hope HGST comes out with a 9.5mm 2TB that's compatible with the PS4.

Message 8 of 84 (65,261 Views)
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 8, 2014

After further research and testing, I found one additional method to get the hard drive to boot successfully.  Just hold down the power button 6-6.5 seconds after the beep just before safe mode is triggered.  Holding the button down allows the hard drive to fully spinup before the HDMI handshaking takes place.  Note, if you hold the button too long (7.5 seconds to be exact), you will get into safe mode and have to try again.

Another slightly modified method is to push the power button and release after 2 seconds after it beeps.  Then hold the power button for 4-5 seconds and release.  This is easier than the previous method because you have more time before you get into safe mode (because safe mode requires the button to be held continuously for 7.5 seconds).

Message 9 of 84 (65,248 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 11, 2014
Are you sure this would work? I'm really into buying this thou....
Message 10 of 84 (64,983 Views)
0 Likes