Jan 30 2014
By: Kadmar Splicer 47 posts

TOMB RAIDER PS4 - Error CE-34878-0 - Fix / Prevention

[ Edited ]
37 replies 19892 views Edited Feb 4, 2014

FOR TOMB RAIDER OWNERS in Story mode, a lot of you have had issues with crashes and save file corruption.

The crash that occurs from playing the game was coming from bad programming. That game has been ported to PS4 in a hurry and it is plagued with crashes until Crystal Dynamics release a patch. Several players have experienced identical crashes at identical locations or scenes (that is what makes the "bad programming" a valid hypothesis. Let's call this type of crash "Crash A" (programming issue)

The crash that occurs at the launch of the game when you press continue and select the corrupted save slot is coming from your corrupted save file. Let's call it "Crash B" (due to the attempt of loading a corrupted save file). "Crash B" the worst of all crashes in this game because it prevents you from continuing your progress.

"Crash B" is the result of "Crash A" when "Crash A" occurs during an auto-save. You know you MUST NOT turn off the console while the game is auto-saving otherwise your save is corrupted. Well when "Crash A" occurs during an auto-save, it is exactly like turning off the console during an auto-save. It destroys your save. And Tomb raider is auto-saving almost constantly.

Two different crashes under one same generic error code CE-34878-0

To avoid losing your progress, here is what you have to do:

1/ Just use the 3 save slots every time you save in a camp. Press "options" during the game, choose "change save slot", select a new slot by pressing X on the slot, wait for the TR logo to blink on the bottom right of the screen and do it again until the 3 slots are identical (you can do that with only 2 slots if you want to keep the 3rd for another purpose like missable trophies attempts)

DO NOT FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH (complete that level 100% before leaving it). IF YOU FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH, THE GAME WILL CRASH AND WILL DESTROY YOUR SAVE (VERY BAD PROGRAMMING).

2/ If the game crashes on you while you are playing (Crash A) and corrupt the save in your current slot, simply reload the game and a save file from another slot. You will only lose the progress from the last save and the moment of crash.

3/ Then from the healthy save, overwrite the corrupted slot (this will be done naturally if you always save on the 3 slots.)

THIS HAS WORKED 100% of the time for me on Tomb Raider D.E. to avoid "Crash B" to occur permanently.

Hope that helps you complete this AWESOME GAME!!!

Message 1 of 38 (19,892 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: TOMB RAIDER PS4 - Error CE-34878-0 - Fix / Prevention

Feb 2, 2014

Too late for me, I was playing this game assuming I wouldn't have to do some kind of work around NOT to lose my progress, it crashed during some random autosave at 75%, I have Playstation Plus but it had not uploaded a save file yet, and even if it had at even, say, 40%, I'm not going through and killing every baddy collecting every mushroom etc etc over again.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME it is broken and will leave you in a situation like mine, unless you are CONSTANTLY focusing on TRICKING THE GAME NOT TO CRASH AND DESTROY YOUR WORK.

I'm contacting the manufacturer tomorrow, if I can't get full compensation in one form or another for my money spent I'm going back to Gamestop and making a strong case for a full refund.

Message 2 of 38 (19,524 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Feb 2, 2014

Same. I foolishly played the game thinking my save wouldn't be corrupted. Pretty close to the end (I think!) of the game, it crashed and I got that now infamous error code message. I tried going back in to my save (which still exists - it wasn't wiped) but the same thing happens.

Contacted Sony's support centre and I was asked to rebuild my console's database. Didn't fix it.
Asked to initialise the system (and then re-install all of my games), using my PS+ game save data back-up. Didn't fix it.
Now I'm being asked to download the game again (the third time!?) using a different internet connection (!?) and try again. If not, send in the PlayStation to be check out. Which, since I'm in Japan (yeah, still not PS4 here!) would be a HUGE hassle for me and take a very long time.

So, I'm sitting here with a PS4 that works perfectly the rest of the time, but one game I've paid for and nearly finished, whose save is corrupted. I have o desire to start the entire game from the beginning - it's good but it's not THAT good.

How does one go about getting a refund!? 

Message 3 of 38 (19,488 Views)
Splicer
47 posts

Feb 2, 2014

The proof that this problem is not SONY related.

The Xbone version has the same issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=9438&p=82330#post82330

Message 4 of 38 (19,469 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40047 posts

Feb 2, 2014

I had a random crash yesterday, something about sending information to Sony about the error, not sure if this is the same or similar to the one you guys are referring to or not, but it was also during a save with TRDE, the save file though is fine, it loaded up just great.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 5 of 38 (19,421 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2014

BRIT-KO wrote:

I had a random crash yesterday, something about sending information to Sony about the error, not sure if this is the same or similar to the one you guys are referring to or not, but it was also during a save with TRDE, the save file though is fine, it loaded up just great.

BRIT-KO

I am pretty sure you had that crash when Lara is jumping to the helicopter running away from an explosion. Everybody had that crash without issue.

But then you will face the crashes that are deadly for your save file and they usually occur at Shipwreck Beach when you fast travel away from it and fast travel back. Try to complete everything 100% and every tomb you have to complete before reaching Shipwreck Beach.

Message 6 of 38 (19,386 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Feb 2, 2014

If you guys are a member of PS plus, you'll be able to retrieve your save. + automatically saves game files to the cloud.  I lost my BF4 campaign, but was able to recover from PS + save directory.

Message 7 of 38 (19,345 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 9, 2014
This happened to me last night. No way I'm starting game again. Will try for refund or just sell it. This is pretty bad for new console. Very frustrating. Is it to much to ask for a game to just work. I hope we do t see this issue in other games. Also I copied my latest save from PS plus. Still crashes when loaded. Would like to know if anyone got this to work
Message 8 of 38 (18,688 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40047 posts

Feb 9, 2014

Kadmar wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

BRIT-KO

I am pretty sure you had that crash when Lara is jumping to the helicopter running away from an explosion. Everybody had that crash without issue.

But then you will face the crashes that are deadly for your save file and they usually occur at Shipwreck Beach when you fast travel away from it and fast travel back. Try to complete everything 100% and every tomb you have to complete before reaching Shipwreck Beach.

Correct, it was exactly there.

I've just started doing the 'Fast Travel' collecting thing, cleared 6 areas to 100% last night, no issues so far with save files.

I'm pretty sure I also did Shipwreck Beach, but I could be mistaken, you're saying make that the last one to do correct?

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 9 of 38 (18,663 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2014

RhythmBren wrote:
This happened to me last night. No way I'm starting game again. Will try for refund or just sell it. This is pretty bad for new console. Very frustrating. Is it to much to ask for a game to just work. I hope we do t see this issue in other games. Also I copied my latest save from PS plus. Still crashes when loaded. Would like to know if anyone got this to work

Your save on the PS+ is corrupted. You must have had the auto-upload activated and it must have auto-uploaded the corrupted save. There is no way around starting the game from scratch.

Message 10 of 38 (18,636 Views)
0 Likes