Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: 1.4 Patch Notes

Aug 28, 2013

There's a scene in a movie "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka", where one of the heroes gets SO ready for the fight, that he fits himself out with extra ammo bandoliers, nades, double shotguns, ALL the reliable stopping-power goodies hanging off of him.... then his foot trips while he's walking out of the building  ---AND ALL THE WEAPONS SUDDENLY TRIP, DISCHARGING AND FRAGGING ALL OVER THE PLACE FOR THE NEXT 45 SECONDS!!!  It's hilarious. 

..THAT'S US by patch 1.7.  :smileysad::smileytongue:

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 11 of 29 (159 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Sep 3, 2013
Free SP?

Ugh...I don't know what to do with the almost million SP I have right now...more...I really don't know...
Message 12 of 29 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49220 posts

Sep 3, 2013

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:
Free SP?

Ugh...I don't know what to do with the almost million SP I have right now...more...I really don't know...

You could read me off your spent skills tonight, while you are showing me how to NOT screw up the PC battle setup, and I can make suggestions on where I'd spend it (then again I'm a level 5 addict)

Message 13 of 29 (138 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Sep 3, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:
Free SP?

You could read me off your spent skills tonight, while you are showing me how to NOT screw up the PC battle setup, and I can make suggestions on where I'd spend it (then again I'm a level 5 addict)

You want to know why I don't have a ton of lv5 skills yet? Cost effectiveness and lack of anything that is needed for that lv5...

In EVE, spending 20 days to get a cruiser skill from 4 to 5 not only gives you the skill bonuses on your ships, but also "unlocks" all the Tech-2 cruisers (or at least is a stepping-stone for them; they have other skill requirements and all besides just Cruiser 5, but that's usually the biggest chunk of training time and the other skills "unlock" other things too) And yeah...going to throw Caldari Cruiser 5 on my skill queue after my current skill is done...decided I need to be able to fly a Tengu sooner than later...

Message 14 of 29 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Sep 4, 2013

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

You want to know why I don't have a ton of lv5 skills yet? Cost effectiveness and lack of anything that is needed for that lv5...

In EVE, spending 20 days to get a cruiser skill from 4 to 5 not only gives you the skill bonuses on your ships, but also "unlocks" all the Tech-2 cruisers (or at least is a stepping-stone for them; they have other skill requirements and all besides just Cruiser 5, but that's usually the biggest chunk of training time and the other skills "unlock" other things too) And yeah...going to throw Caldari Cruiser 5 on my skill queue after my current skill is done...decided I need to be able to fly a Tengu sooner than later...

:smileysad:  Yes, I did suspect that one of the cardinal differences between Dust and EVE was the REWARD factor.  "Reward" involves such a different realm of equipment and goals in EVE from the equipment and goals we're dealing with in Dust, that we just can't compare the two.  We HAVE TO link up the two games... and soon.

Dust as an army of mercs with the firepower to bring down the heavens, but who are landlocked on each planet, bonus-wise and ISK-wise. 

Even our highest skill-levels and unlocks are miniscule without EVE utilizing us to take worlds for them.  

Mp_submachine_gun.JPG

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Message 15 of 29 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Sep 4, 2013
On a bright note, I am APPLAUDING the "recents" screen that 1.4 brings to the beginning of your log in. A touch like this makes Dust more elegant and richly-elaborate than any FPS I've had on a console. I know the action-minded players don't give a fart about "polishing" some moot menu screen between the violence... (but Cheers from me!)

Message 16 of 29 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

UPDATE:  24 hours after trying Patch 1.4 on foot:

And YES, I am on day 2 of the Update Screen (going to try logging in every day til the 6,000 SP/day kicks in).

I haven't tried vehicle driving yet (the complaints about DS viewing controls scares me). 

• Queing ability in the instant battles (now called "Public Contracts") is a GREAT feature, right down to the cool "galaxy-drill-down" animation that zooms in and finally identifies the planet your match will occur on, and gives the IDs of both opposing corps, CLEARLY SHOWING corp EMBLEMS!!  Rock-ON!

My side fought against a defense force run by Quafe Company!  QUAFE the soft drink company has an ARMY!!,  And THEY BEAT US TOO!  I was beat by a soda-pop company.  :smileylol:

...I was beat by a soda-pop company. :smileysad: ?

• I played nothing but Domination matches last night, on the new Gallente Research facility.  Anything Gallente is always so SEXY.  Both the length of terrrain and the common-sense functional placement of civilian structures was a completely satisfying challenge.  To fight around that one serpentine roadway for possession of that one null point, you had to repeatedly pass these doorways and subterranean ramps that you just didn't have time to explore....but you wanted to explore them so badly!

• But the thrill (and controversy) of last night was the amazingly mold-breaking "Aim Assist" that 1.4 brings.  The new aim-assist didn't change my performance MUCH cuz I've learned a balanced Dust-style that uses everything EXCEPT my crosshairs to stay alive.  But for other players...

if you're constantly being shot dead because you struggle too long to aim--you are now free to focus on the more important learning curves in Dust. 

If you're a sharpshooting gunslinger Vet who used to smoke 6 simultaneous attackers single-handedly like you're Clint Eastwood---the Hollywood movie is over, and you need to realistically retreat and find cover.  There is now a (controversial) balance to small arms combat, and it made last night Exhilerating... you could see it in the bravery of the mercs.  Not chaos... just a controlled Fever and energetic pace. 

When BHD runs a match, please post here what effects the "aim assist" has on your coop in the fights.  I for one advocate it, but I admit it IS like no "aim assist" I've felt before. 

Image_11.JPG

Message 17 of 29 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6542 posts

Sep 6, 2013
Does 1.4 suck?
Message 18 of 29 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Sep 6, 2013

:smileywink:  "Suck" is just a word I very seldom respond to, when used that way.  But since it's you Supertman, I won't crow on it. 

Of all the "Patches" to date, 1.4 I think is the most effective improvement on the game.  I won't address the controversies; they are too hot and too long to visit:  Dropship camera, Aim Assist, etc.

But in spite of the Patch Notes, there is a TON of undercover changes introduced in 1.4 that are not part of the official list, or were kinda vaguely touched on in the Notes.  You have to come across them accidentally, and they are dramatic:

Afterburners are now the most PG hungry module in the whole game.  You have to STRIP your vehicle bare if you want to use one.

Propulsion modules have been shockingly reduced in SP requirements---not certain if the PERFORMANCE of these devices has changed.

Any enemy detection our Dropsuits used to natively have has been reduced.... making "SCANNER MODULES" an item we'll be revisiting much more seriously. 

Lighting on these new maps are terrific--sometimes moody, sometimes blinding you at critical combat moments.  Very effective. 

Visual disruption from shields being pummelled is a gorgeous animation to encounter during a fight. 

...and I've only beem playing 1.4 for 48 hours so far.  There are items specific to my own battlefield role that I haven't had time to start examining yet, so I'm sure some surprises  are in store for me this weekend. 

No, Supertman.  No matter what any passing griper might rant about, 1.4 does NOT suck.  It's just too meaty, too daring, too innovative, too detailed and distinctly-deliberate to be called lousy.  But some are STILL cluching to some tired hope that this will be their ole' relaible Classic FPS...:smileyvery-happy:

With 1.4, Dust has finally shown its stones with radical new ideas, and you can tell by the number of people dropping from log-in this week, this game is finally cleaning house. 

I'm all in on this game, but many of you have to finally make up your mind to play or walk.  :smileywink: 

This game doesn't seem to be waiting for you to decide any more.  Dust is now proceeding with its objectives.

Mp_flaylock_pistol.JPG

Message 19 of 29 (93 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49220 posts

Sep 6, 2013

OMG I just discoverd the Scan Tool.

I'm going to try scanning the enemy team all night in a PC battle tonight :smileytongue:

Message 20 of 29 (89 Views)
0 Likes