Sep 30 2013
By: Orpheus_Fool Wastelander 590 posts

BPOs are going away.

3 replies 258 views Edited Sep 30, 2013

The marketplace bluprints (BPOs) are going away for 1.5. The only way to get some will be from the merc / vet / elite packs. However if you have boght BPOs from the marketplace, they will remain in your inventory.

source: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=112962&find=unread

Message 1 of 4 (258 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: BPOs are going away.

[ Edited ]
Sep 30, 2013

Smiley SadSmiley Indifferent Yep. 

Orpheus, you and I will have plenty of statistical and philisophical discussion to come about these steadily more "uncharitable" changes that are arriving. 

My philosophical take is that, from Patch 1.4 onward, the subject of ISK will be more EVE-like (earn only by investment and alliance-making... lost through destruction and deception from players we trusted).  The early days of ISK-insurance through BPOs and Proto-fitting mastery are nearly gone. 

"Dust 514" will gradually, mercilessly (hehe Smiley LOL), earn its full name:  "EVE Dust 514"

Orpheus, did you invest in a lot of BPO's?

dust514fitting.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 2 of 4 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54300 posts

Sep 30, 2013

This is interesting.   I have duplicate BPO items for some items, I hope they open the market up soon...I could get a lot of isk Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 4 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
590 posts

Oct 2, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

Smiley SadSmiley Indifferent Yep. 

Orpheus, you and I will have plenty of statistical and philisophical discussion to come about these steadily more "uncharitable" changes that are arriving. 

My philosophical take is that, from Patch 1.4 onward, the subject of ISK will be more EVE-like (earn only by investment and alliance-making... lost through destruction and deception from players we trusted).  The early days of ISK-insurance through BPOs and Proto-fitting mastery are nearly gone. 

"Dust 514" will gradually, mercilessly (hehe Smiley LOL), earn its full name:  "EVE Dust 514"

Orpheus, did you invest in a lot of BPO's?

I didn’t buy many BPOs.

I have from the veteran pack:
Covenant suit (Caldari assault variant standard level)
Covenant Sniper riffle (Standard sniper riffle)
Blood Raider Saga (standard level Caldari LAV)

And I purchased from the market
Militia Profile Dampener
Miltia Vehicle Passive shield resistance booster (I don’t know the name)

The profile dampener BPO was purchased because I was tired of restocking them all the time (I have 2 fitted on all my fittings so they used to go down fast), and I bought the shield resistance one because I had left over AUR from passive SP booster purchases.

Given that, with the exception of a few ones like the Syndicate / Toxin SMG and the Dragonfly scout suit, all market BPOs are Milita level aka “slightly better than nothing”, I don’t think it will make much of a difference with players’ ability to accumulate a lot of ISK. Mitlita equipment cost almost nothing as it is. And from what seems to be implied on the other Dust forums, Proto-stompers already have hundreds of millions if not billions of ISK from corp battles, so they don’t even worry about loosing a few expensive suits in a pub match.

Also, with the remaining player base, I’m pretty sure most of those who wanted BPOs already have them, so it won’t make much of a difference since they are keeping them. IMHO, it would be a very bad business / customer trust decision to remove them from people who already paid for them, even if they gave an AUR refund.

Even if they did remove them, vets could simply run with modified starter fits if they want to save ISK. At one point, when going against mid level (SP wise) players and below, the passive skill bonuses (ex: 25% more shield/armor, 15% more weapon damage, increased CPU/PG) more than make up for the general weakness of the Miltia equipment.

I think, the ones more affected by this will the the noobs. They are the ones who are the most strapped for ISK with the initial skill book purchases along with the fact that they need to quickly get better and more expensive gear because they can’t rely on the passive skills for increased equipment performance.

What I’m most curious about this change is how it will affect CCP’s income from AUR purchases. Without BPOs, the only remaining AUR items will be consumable equipment and boosters. For me, real money for virtual consumable items is a line I’m not willing to cross. 30 days Passive SP Boosters were the exception because I see them as a pseudo-subscription. However, I don’t know if a lot of other gamers share that dislike since I don’t have data on the micro-transactions industry on consoles.

Personally, I would have gone with low tier (standard and miltia) vanity BPOs, like my crimson Covenant assault suit, Covenant Sniper riffle, and Blood Raider Saga (though BPOs will still remain in the veteran and elite packs).

Message 4 of 4 (228 Views)