Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: Changes to academy as of 1.3

Aug 7, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

There is yet another change to the battle academy, it's now domination and you graduate after you earn 400WP (8 kills Smiley Surprised).

Smiley Indifferent I saw that News last night.  I'm a little indifferent to that change.  Dust is HARD, really hard, to wrap your head around on the battlefield.  I think the 10,000 WP threshold was very much called for.  (unleash me into the full array of matches when I'm still a 400WP Newberry, and I'm likely to just be a nuisance to myself and my team in the game)

But CCP is full of intriguing thinkers, so maybe they are converting their original  one-step 10,000WP graduation into a TWO-step 400WP followed by 9,000WP graduation.  Smiley Indifferent

Either way, I hope those Newberrys make the cut.  Go Newberrys, go! 

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 11 of 15 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
590 posts

Aug 7, 2013

In a post by a developer on the official forum, the dev basically said they are just experimenting to see what effect it has on new player retention. All these experiments are because their statistical data showed that most players quit the game before even graduating from the old academy. Plus they wanted to prevent vets from creating alts and stomp on noobs.

Message 12 of 15 (102 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

All these experiments are because their statistical data showed that most players quit the game before even graduating from the old academy. Plus they wanted to prevent vets from creating alts and stomp on noobs.

Smiley Sad My Gosh... I never imagined we players/mercs would be so insidious. 

I always suspected that most FPS players will weep and run in the first two weeks or so, from the beating-lessons you get before you learn you have to do things differently here. 

(---Dust is legitimately rough and difficult like that, and I LOVE this fact about the game... hope CCP doesn't knock themselves out overly-softening the difficulty.)

Smiley Sad ...But it didn't occur to me that, after all WE go through to survive the Newberry learing curve, we'd actually get pleasure GOING BACK to the reception area to PREY on the next wave of struggling berries!!  Smiley SadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Sorry if I'm insulting any buddies I've made here, but I think if a vet creates his alt/new character just to feed on academy noobs, he DOESN'T REALLY like the Dust challenge of moving forward in skills, he obviously just likes preying on lesser players in his FPSs, and probably should just go back to his numerous CoD-like titles where that circus used to go on all the time.Smiley Indifferent 

CCP, thanks again for spotting some player-to-player unfairness, and trying to discourage it. 

Thanks for mentioning this, Orpheus.  I didn't even know.

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 13 of 15 (97 Views)
Wastelander
590 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

I couldn’t agree more, when vets purposely stomp on noobs it snuffs out potential growth in a game’s player base (that sort of behavior killed the online part for the lower level areas in Dark Souls and prevented Starhawk from getting more players than what the open beta had).  I’m certain most gamers don’t mind a very steep learning curve for a game as long as they are having fun while climbing it.

In this case, I think CCP might have aggravated a problem by trying to fix it. In the old academy, if a vet wanted to stomp on noobs, he had to do it with miltia / standard equipment or, at best, a GEK AR without (multiple) complex damage mods and AR proficiency. That way, it was at least a semi-level playing field where player skill determined the outcome. Now, they can do it with Proto gear and near max passive skills bonuses. 500k SP / Starter fits vs 12mil SP / Prot fits : Ouch!!!

Not to mention the old academy was a great way to test / experiment with new weapons / vehicles on fittings of the same meta level.

Message 14 of 15 (91 Views)
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
51121 posts

Aug 7, 2013

What you two are touching on is why I wished CCP listend to both my forum post and email about this.

I told them to make 4 seperate battle levels.   0-2mil SP, 2mil-10mil SP, 10mil-20mil SP,  and a No Restriction zone.

^ When will people learn to listen to good advice?  Just because its free doesn't mean its bad Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 15 (80 Views)