Jul 30 2013
By: Orpheus_Fool Wastelander 590 posts

Changes to academy as of 1.3

[ Edited ]
14 replies 187 views Edited Jul 30, 2013

Since patch 1.3 hit, there has been changes to the academy battles.

Academy battles are now :

- 8 vs 8

- Ambush only (I don't know if it includes OMS)

- Small maps only (ideal for close and medium quarters fighting only)

Message 1 of 15 (187 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: Changes to academy as of 1.3

Jul 30, 2013

:smileywink::smileywink::smileyindifferent:

That is excellent news, as far as I'm concerned. 

CCp's goal should be to encourage us (for the stubborn amongst us, to HERD us) towards the larger (more difficult to run-n-gun) maps/matches, where theoretically we learn that plotting and moving WITH fellow players on the map gets you better results. 

I may be speaking just for myself, but I feel like the Battle Academy is TOO CONFINING for me to get players to work with me and capture some of the objectives that would've been EASY to get if we were working together.  Maybe that means I've become an advanced player.

8-v-8 makes the "goldfish bowl" sized Academy maps less crowded with danger, and hopefully makes it less interesting for advanced players (racking up easy scores on the less capable players) to camp out in. 

It also should give real Newberrys more comfortable room to move about and learn things without getting snuffed off every 17, err-um, every 13 seconds.  My learning curve in the 5/14 release version was [CENSORED +17] painful!!

...In theory, it's a beneficial and gustsy move, and I hope it works well, especially for Newberrys.  Congrats to CCP for at least trying hard.

CDIA252709-fle30030 MILLASLATER.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 2 of 15 (177 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
50689 posts

Jul 30, 2013

Nice orpheus, thank you for the heads up I did not know this (my new character will have fun there :smileytongue:)

Message 3 of 15 (174 Views)
Wastelander
590 posts

Jul 31, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Nice orpheus, thank you for the heads up I did not know this (my new character will have fun there :smileytongue:)

I've tested it, it's just one map with only 25 clones in reserve so the battles are pretty quick but very intense.

Message 4 of 15 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Jul 31, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

I've tested it, it's just one map with only 25 clones in reserve so the battles are pretty quick but very intense.

:smileyindifferent: 

So, then the Battle Academy is now SOLELY to Preschool acclamate you to controls, aiming and movement.

Which means for skirmish null cannon matches, you HAVE to get into the Mercenary Campaign Mode, which should guarantee the lines will be getting longer in Merc Campaign....

..WAIT.  That brings up a good question.  I used to think that Mercenary Campaign battles were just Skirmish matches that were randomly generated in the Battle Academy mode.  If Battle Academy is no longer creating Skirmish matches, will the Merc Cam Skirmish matches change significantly? 

I've always had a long waiting period when I wanted to do a Mercenary Campaign match...wait more than 90 seconds for one match to become available, THEN JUMP ON IT QUICK BEFORE IT SAYS "Battle Full".

:smileyfrustrated:untitled.JPG

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Message 5 of 15 (155 Views)
PlayStation MVP
50689 posts

Jul 31, 2013

Good Question.  I've always wanted the merc battles to mean  more than "just another game of skirmish". 

I'll have to try one out now and see if anything appears different on the info screens before/after game

Message 6 of 15 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
590 posts

Aug 1, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Good Question.  I've always wanted the merc battles to mean  more than "just another game of skirmish". 

I'll have to try one out now and see if anything appears different on the info screens before/after game

I always though the merc tab was an "Instant Faction Warfare" match, instead of going into the starmap and choose a district where FW is happening.

Message 7 of 15 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
50689 posts

Aug 1, 2013

I'm still feeling pretty uninformed on the whole starmap battles thing, I tried to explore it to set up a PC battle and we ended up with one at like 300 am lol.

Message 8 of 15 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Aug 2, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I always though the merc tab was an "Instant Faction Warfare" match, instead of going into the starmap and choose a district where FW is happening.

I think you are both right. 

The merc tab IS some sort of "instant" match up. 

It is obviously not corp-driven (or I think we'd see REAL corp names show up like "BHD attacks BHDclanY03", instead of the same 4 or 5 factions recurring all the time). 

:smileyhappy:Hi, Plymoc!!

It's hard-linked to the Starmap (even more now in Patch 1.3, right down to numbering the district).  So I think CCP has some ultimate more important purpose for it, and we're only seeing hints of where the merc tab is going.  It doesn't make much sense to clutter something as vast as the Starmap (HAVE YOU REALLY STUDIED HOW ENORMOUS THAT STARMAP IS?--IT STRETCHES FOREVER!), if the merc tab will always be fabricated matches---ccp MUST be planning to link it to our REAL clan/corp interactions eventually. 

And yes, Plymco, I also wish it was evolving faster, so it's no longer just another skirmish.  The maps are really big compared with the instant-battles tab (feels like comparing a soccer field to a tennis court), but I'm hungry for even more differences than that.

Message 9 of 15 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
590 posts

Aug 7, 2013

There is yet another change to the battle academy, it's now domination and you graduate after you earn 400WP (8 kills :smileysurprised:).

Message 10 of 15 (115 Views)
0 Likes