Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 19 2013
By: thesupertman Treasure Hunter 6432 posts
Accepted Solution

Do You think dust will succeed?

16 replies 399 views Edited Sep 19, 2013
I've lost faith even though I still like dust.

I think dust should have just waited for the ps4. Dust has many problems and content is coming to slow. Plus with big games coming out (ghosts, BF4, GTA V and the next gen games)

Dust 514 will be left in the dust.
Message 1 of 17 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: Do You think dust will succeed?

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2013

:smileyindifferent:  That's a tough one to call Supertman. 

I've been watching the other forums (an INSANE amount of players around the globe are addicted to Dust and drown the devs in feedback/ design requests, etc), and sometimes it seems the only tough problem in Dust are us PS3 gamers.  The devs always said it wouldn' be until after Jan 2014 that Dust can finally get full-steam activation, but PS3 players are used to short-term, quick-gratification in games, not used to the word "soon".  So there ought to be a lot of gamers leaving Dust... yet it seems as though Dust has a following of console people who are "constant as the North Star". 

I've also studied up on EVE Online (a game I knew nothing about before Dust--and still not interested in playing myself), and get the impression Dust was only created to expand on the EVE playing environment.... not really to compete with any PS3/ PS4 titles as a stand-alone game (one of the reasons this is FREE to play, I suppose). 

So I'm not really sure the regular FPS titles had any reason to worry about Dust trying to beat them in the market.  I think it's going to be exactly what EVE is, a cult game that doesn't out-demand any of your regular titles, just OUTLASTS all of your regular titles (and might REDEFINE some of the old ways of tailoring gameplay in an FPS).

I anticipate Dust will easily make it to the EVE merge-point next year.  (Gamers like me won't let it fail, hehe :smileywink:)  But I always did say, Dust 514 WILL divide gamers severely. 

dust514fitting.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 2 of 17 (392 Views)
PlayStation MVP
48888 posts

Sep 19, 2013

thesupertman wrote:
I've lost faith even though I still like dust.

I think dust should have just waited for the ps4. Dust has many problems and content is coming to slow. Plus with big games coming out (ghosts, BF4, GTA V and the next gen games)

Dust 514 will be left in the dust.

I will still be playing for the foreseeable future but the lack of it going to the PS4, as of right now, may cause an issue with me continuing to play come time for the PS4 to get set up in my entertainment center :smileywink:.

I still like the game a lot so I hope they move it to PS4 and succeed!

Message 3 of 17 (383 Views)
0 Likes
Pistol Proficinado
590 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

but PS3 players aren't used to impatient short-term grat in games, not used to the word "soon".  So there ought to be a lot of gamers leaving Dust... yet it seems as though Dust has a following of console people who are "constant as the North Star". 

One thing we must not forget is that EVE Online didn't have any competitors in the "spaceship MMORPG", so players had no choice but to wait and be patient. When it comes to consoles, there are more good titles coming out than a gamer's ability to clear them.

As for the forum whining, that is pretty much standard in all PvP games. Most posters will complain because they want the game to give and advantage to their own playing style, but they'll try to use logic to justigy their self-serving views. You'll still find a brave few who are genuinely concerned about game balance, but they'll quickly get drowned by the former.

Also the worst part for Dust, in it's current state, is that many games are better in what Dust claims to be. It's only unique aspect is the money management involved with your fittings when you die.

If we take Dust's marketing points:

- it's an MMO (Massively Multiplayed Online): in reality it's a 16 vs 16 lobby shooter. The amount of players on the server or in EVE has absolutely no impact / influence on a match, except for PC battle where an EVE capsuler will do the orbital strike. MAG had bigger player count per battle. If the amount of players in the server playing Dust is enough the call it an MMO, then by that logic COD, BF, Borderlands, GTA V online are all MMOs and even more massively played than Dust.

- What you do has an impact on the world and thousands of players : If the Amarr managed to take complete control of New Eden, would it have any effect on you when you're battling on the ground? Would you have any advatage to side with them? The only difference it would make, at the moment, is the colored dots on the starmap. Hacking a CRU or a turret is a lot more meaningfull than any factionnal / corporate warfare outcome.

- There is a very deep skill system : The skill system is basically a perk / unlock system stretched out with a lot of SP sinks and is, IMO, more grindy than deep. Borderlands for example, has a skill system that allows for a wide variety of playstyles, yet doesn't take over a year to max out. Plus the SP grind forces you into one playstyle / role and not diverge from it (in which case, I hope you do not like variety). 

- The fitting / customization system is so deep you need to use spreadsheets, if you really want to be effective : While true to an extend, if you like copmlex customizations, try out an Armored Core game (the more recent the better) and try to create an assembly. Then tell which one will requires more thought / strategy into making something effective on the battlefield.

- The meta game (backstabbing, scamming, griefing, etc.) : If you like clan drama, you'll be right at home. However, things like infiltrating a clan so you can team kill them in a clan battle, would normally get you banned in a competitive game. In Dust, this sort of behavior is not only encouraged, it's celebrated. I find that attitude will draw in more griefers (in relative % to the player base) than your average game. Personnally, I prefer to leave that kind of drama to highschoolers and people in their early 20's.

- You can use a keyboard and mouse as an input method : I'm sure that decision was used merely to bring in their Eve Online playerbase, some of which are PC-elitist who are uterly disgusted at the idea of a filthy controller touching their hands. Unfortunately even if the KB/M input is not as good as on a PC (hence a lot of complaining on the official forums), it's still a lot better than a Dual Shock 3, the PS3's main input method, thus creating an unven playing field.

For the PS4 version Planetside 2, PS4 and PC players will be seperated. Initially, the developper mentioned that it was because the patching process was longer on console due to the verification process. However, when pressed further, he admited that their beta showed that players using a controller could not compete with those using KB/M (unfortunately, I didn't save the source article).

GIven all that, I'm not too optimistic about Dust's future. Plus, I see the same pattern as Starhawk: an innovative game that breaks the shooter mold, but a steep learning curve combined with a whole bunch of beta vets who mercilessly crush any newbies while thumping their chest like a Muton (X-Com reference) saying : "Get good or get out" (or as they said on the Eve forums : "HTFU"), which drives away new players.

The "progression" of the average player count seems to confirm this (all numbers are from around 10PM EST): when Uprising hit, the average player count at that time was 5000 players, it when up to 9000 near the end of May, and it's now around between 3500 and 4000 players. It's still healthy enough to easily get into a match of your chosen mode, but it's still a steady decline.

At the moment, if I rembemer correctly, it's Eve Online that is funding Dust's developpment. At one point, if it can't stand on it's own, someone from finance will decide to pull the plug. So I guess it all depends on whether or not the remaining players are spending money on the micro-transactions game that is Dust 514.

Still, despite all that, I still hope Dust 514 will be successful, especially if they manage to integrate EVE Online, Dust 514 and the new EVE VR (space dogfighting game). Too many developpers stick to tried and tested formulas and don't innovate. We need fresh air in gaming and CCP is trying to do that.

Message 4 of 17 (379 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6432 posts

Sep 20, 2013
I will continue to play dust until November (I'm getting BF4 for my birthday that month).

I would be happier with dust if they gave me a respect. I messed up with my skill points.....

@fool
Also I don't think dust has much clan drama. If you want that play war of nations (lol it's a mobile game) it's way more in depth than dust is.
Message 5 of 17 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2013

Yes, statistics ARE a twisted knot sometimes. 

I know I see a constant range from 28,000 (when their server's being uncooperative to gameplay) to 33,000 (when all is well and smooth), EVERY weeknight.  But that only says something about how many folks in MY time zones are in the right lifestyle, economic standing, and cultural POV to be interested in playing a video game in the late evening... 

At 10pm in someone else's geography, let's face it, their  culture, access to internet, even access to electricity at late-night, all play a part in the "active players" box in the lower right of each of our tv screens. 

During the day, or on weekends, MY number pops to over 52,000 players, and that seems to have been that number since the 1.3 Patch release. 

And of course, true to CCP's ambitious point of view, all these numbers represent Dust + EVE as a single population of players, no distinction.  Dust MUST first arrive at the merge-point with EVE---before words like "success" and "failure" can start to be properly tracked. 

...So for the next four months, let's kick back and wash down some of this Dust.

quafe-zero.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Message 6 of 17 (354 Views)
Pistol Proficinado
590 posts

Sep 20, 2013

@Chedwidden: If I were to use the combined number, I would arrive at the same ones as you. However when I mention player count, I always use the real Dust player count, not the Dust + Eve sleigh of hand count pulled by CCP. I do that for a very simple reason: in the hypothetical (and highly improbable) scenario where there would be 100 000 players in Eve and 1 player in Dust (me), would the fact that there are 100 001 players in the merged Eve / Dust world be of any benefit to me? Would it allow me to play Dust? Dust players fill the Dust macthes, they are the ones who are important for the survival of this game.

If you want to see the real Dust player count, you have to go to the Eve Offline website.

Message 7 of 17 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 20, 2013

:smileylol: NO THANKS, Orpheus.  I'm an older person... I learned my math before the computers started getting small, and my teacher taught us that ALL statistics and numbers are sleight of hand.  Good entertainment, but... better just to assess the concrete when it arrives.

So I'm fine until after January.  And I hope to see all of you there along with me.  I should be a better Artificer by then.  Maybe even EXCELLENT.:smileyhappy:

BTW, Orpheus, are you a direct assault type character in Dust, or a support or vehicle type character?  You may have told me before... Can't recall.

Message 8 of 17 (346 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6432 posts

Sep 20, 2013
My character is a mess.... Got skill points into everything.....

What I like best is being a heavy....
Message 9 of 17 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Pistol Proficinado
590 posts

Sep 21, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

:smileylol:

BTW, Orpheus, are you a direct assault type character in Dust, or a support or vehicle type character?  You may have told me before... Can't recall.

In Dust, I'm a support Sniper, although not a good / accurate one since I've never played that role in another shooter :smileytongue:

I would be doing a lot better if I went the Assault Riffle / SMG slayer class, but it's more fun this way.

Plus, because of the Veteran pack bought at launch, I'm also driving a LAV from time to time.

Message 10 of 17 (327 Views)