Oct 12 2011
By: chickenbonetom Treasure Hunter 7613 posts

Dust 514 is Massive Will Be The Biggest Online FPS

8 replies 277 views Edited Oct 12, 2011

http://playstationlifestyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dust-514-feature.jpg

The MMO genre has been picking up steam over the past several years, and while we’ve seem some relatively viable attempts to compete with the likes of World of Warcraft, a successful first-person shooter has yet to enter the genre. Developer CCP is confident they can change this fact with Dust 514, delivering the “biggest multiplayer FPS” we’ve ever seen.

Speaking to the EU PS Blog, Brandon Laurino, executive producer at CCP discussed his team’s upcoming game and his excitement for how Dust 514 can revolutionize FPS gaming.

Right off the bat, we have literally thousands of in-game items built into the system; likewise, in terms of scale, you’re looking at a conflict taking place across thousands of planets, so we’re not just talking a dozen maps – we’re talking an entire universe of planets and areas of engagement within them.

That’s the difference in scale we’re looking at here, and taking our experience with Eve Online and also, some inspiration found in the best microtransaction based MMOs, social and mobile games, and we’ve set up our workflow so that we can iterate and add new content very quickly.

In terms of scale, depth and volume of content, Dust 514 will easily be the biggest multiplayer FPS on the market – also by virtue of being an MMOFPS, not just an FPS.

As for why CCP chose to work with Sony instead of another company like Microsoft, Laurino pointed out the PlayStation 3′s rich feature set and Sony’s open attitude toward innovation.

attracted to the power and the feature set of PlayStation 3.

But it really came down to Sony’s willingness to work with us in bringing an MMO to the platform. There have been attempts to bring MMO games to consoles in the past but we believe we’re now in a position to do it properly, using existing features on PS3 and the PlayStation Network, and collaboratively developing new features to support our vision.

Message 1 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5621 posts

Re: Dust 514 is Massive Will Be The Biggest Online FPS

Oct 12, 2011

yep thats what they're saying. 

Cant wait to get my hands on some real gameplay though

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
50105 posts

Oct 26, 2011

I'm just hoping the numbers of soldiers involved in each individual battle is as epic as the planned size and scope of the worlds themselves.

I know all the rumors say 20 v 20 max but I'm still dreaming of 256 per side with 1 commander for a total of 257/side or 514 per battle

Message 3 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
965 posts

Nov 5, 2011

I only hope this game is at least as good as MAG. It looks very similar in style, it'll be a good breath of fresh air from all the popular shooters.

Message 4 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Dec 6, 2011

I really hope this lives up.  I am pretty much waiting for this to be my go to online fps.

Message 5 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
50105 posts

Dec 6, 2011

I had high hopes for dust514 but I think, after beta testing starhawk, that I might end up a starhawker instead.....can't say for sure until I get to try out dust but starhawk is freaking fun!

Message 6 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Dec 11, 2011

i think the biggest difference between Dust and MAG is that while MAG is fighting for contracts, Dust is actually fighting for territory. Dust seems to be closer to any "real" warfare there is. What you do in each battle effects the actual structure of the Eve/Dust universe. It doesn't seem to be about points or multipliers or cool down times. You go in, take or defend your territory and that changes the path of "history" and "future". This IS war my friends. as virtural as it is, this is the style of gameplay (at least I'm lead to believe) that it is going to be. the slogan is right "your next shot will topple empires".

"I can't drive 55!
Message 7 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Dec 18, 2011

I really like the idea of playing ppl online who have EVE Online for the PC. That will prove useful for them and PS3 Owners. Can't wait for a beta or demo or sumthin from them.

Message 8 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5621 posts

Dec 18, 2011

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I had high hopes for dust514 but I think, after beta testing starhawk, that I might end up a starhawker instead.....can't say for sure until I get to try out dust but starhawk is freaking fun!

---------------------------

Want to join BHD?  Just click this link Or visit here --> www.betterhideordie.com

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo19/2b/4c/c094c436b39e__1285772257000.jpg

yeah i got to see some gameplay video, looks intense. 

haven't tried it yet though

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9 (277 Views)
0 Likes