Survivor
2570 posts

Re: If you were curious about the micro-transaction model

Aug 26, 2011

.. I don't really see what the difference is in your response. One takes an extra step while the other goes straight to the point but it's the same end result; or so it seems to me :s Well, we'll find out soon enough.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2162 posts

Aug 26, 2011

I know they appear to essentially be the same thing (because they are exactly what you describe), though you need to understand that they already have an established playerbase 400k strong who're going to be expecting things to be a certain way which they are used to.

For real, there is an entire segment of the in-game economy that revolves around PLEX speculating.

These established players are in large majority active on the eve forums and many are trolls and smart asses the likes of which our known and loved MAG forums trolls aspire to be.

Another thing you need to understand, just because you can buy "uber-ship" with in-game currency (which you got through MT), doesn't mean you can USE it effectively.  Buying a 200m ISK "super-1337 uber-pwning battle tank" when you can't use it effectively (i.e. fit the proper mods for it, make full utilization of both PG and CPU etc) is going to be a waste of a 200m ISK tank.

True Story,

After I had been playing Eve for a few months, I was in a chat room and heard (read?) a kid (it was blatently obviously that he was still in Jr High at most) explaining how he just got done training the skills for an Armageddon and how he had bought an Imperial Issue Armageddon with ISK he got though buying PLEX.  Several people tried telling him not to pilot it, that he needed to train more skills since he was literally just old enough to have beelined the skills for it.  They told him and told him until he finally left the chat, a few days later, a corpmate of mine popped his Imperial Issue Armageddon and podded the kid on principal.

Just because you'll have the the in-game currency at your disposal, does not mean that you'll know what to do with it or put it to the best use.

WWLFD?
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 27, 2011

It is safe to assume that Dust will follow EVE in character progression. Meaning no matter how much money someone has they are going to need months of real time to elapse before they could actually use the best things. That is what I want to see. Fresh people to the game can not buy their way to the top. Not exactly new player friendly, but no one ever said EVE was or is and it certainly is still going strong.

"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us."
-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5621 posts

Aug 29, 2011

Lokekar wrote:

It is safe to assume that Dust will follow EVE in character progression. Meaning no matter how much money someone has they are going to need months of real time to elapse before they could actually use the best things. That is what I want to see. Fresh people to the game can not buy their way to the top. Not exactly new player friendly, but no one ever said EVE was or is and it certainly is still going strong.

-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)

if this is the case...better start early!

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 29, 2011

Why do you think I am plotting how to get a beta account. To me it almost sounds like the people in the 'beta' get to keep their characters for the 'launch'. Why else use do they use the phrase 'we are going to phase it in slowly' and 'we will start with small numbers initiall'...

-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5621 posts

Aug 29, 2011

Lokekar wrote:

Why do you think I am plotting how to get a beta account. To me it almost sounds like the people in the 'beta' get to keep their characters for the 'launch'. Why else use do they use the phrase 'we are going to phase it in slowly' and 'we will start with small numbers initiall'...

-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)

Really, I don't think so.  But it would be cool getting a head start!

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2162 posts

Aug 29, 2011

If it was like that, it would ensure that (barring them deleting their character or letting their account go inactive) anyone who started in the beta would be better (skill-wise) than anyone who started at retail

RSPetree wrote:

Lokekar wrote:

-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)

Really, I don't think so.  But it would be cool getting a head start!

Running a marathon for ALS click the link to learn more http://als.stepsfordoug.com/ Photobucket
WWLFD?
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 29, 2011

Going to happen in the longterm as long as it follows the same skill model as EVE. Anyone joining EVE right now will be way way far behind in character skills compared to someone that started with the game. If they are planning long term for Dust then 6 months head start (an assumption on my part) will not be much in overall scheme of things. It would mean the betas would always be beta testing the highest level skills as long as the play continually.

-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2162 posts

Aug 30, 2011

You have a good point, here's to being beta testers, hopefully we'll get picked

WWLFD?
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Aug 30, 2011

If you come up with any clever ways of to garuntee getting in the beta let me know. Maybe we should contact Lolsec and Anonymous .

The skill progression in EVE is honestly something I have always wanted other multplayer games to adopt. I do not always have time to play weekly let alone daily and so my character progressing even while I am not able to play has appealed to me.

I am just hoping that the micrtransaction items are not outrageously expensive on the player market.

-Lost

Ex-HAVOK (,,)
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 27 (40 Views)
0 Likes