Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 07 2011
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Introducing DUST 514, a Persistent Shooter from CCP

9 replies 169 views Edited Jun 7, 2011

Hey everyone, I wanted to relay this awesome news about Dust 514 coming to your PS3 soon.    Personally as an EVE online player I am looking forward to this title more than alomost anything else in development, and I hope that it revolutionizes the way people view FPS; enough about me though...  Don't forget to click the link and check out the video!

From the Blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/06/introducing-dust-514-a-persistent-shooter-from-ccp/

Introducing DUST 514, a Persistent Shooter from CCP

Hi everyone! I’m the Community Manager for DUST 514, an upcoming title from CCP.  This is the first time you’ll have seen DUST 514 highlighted on the  PlayStation.Blog and we’re happy that we can reveal more about our game  to you.

DUST 514 is a very different type of game. Yes, many people say this  about their respective game titles — everyone thinks their baby is  special, right? We really mean it though.

When playing your FPS title of choice, have you ever wished that  there was something more to it beyond your rank, weapon unlocks, your  kill/death ratio and leaderboard prominence? Those things are all great –  but what if those matches you fought in actually meant something? What if your successes and failures against your opponents  impacted the course of events in a vast setting, potentially changed a  virtual world and the gameplay experience of thousands of other players?  More than that, what if that impact was felt across two separate games –  one on PS3 and one on PC/Mac – that share the same sci-fi universe?

DUST 514 is that game.

DUST 514 for PS3

The Persistent Shooter Concept

Some may know CCP as the creator of EVE Online,  a sci-fi MMO with an open galactic setting. It’s a game perhaps best  known for its sweeping fleet battles involving thousands of players, its  dynamic player-driven economy, and for having (and allowing!) espionage  and spycraft. We think of EVE as the ultimate sci-fi simulation, and  that’s where DUST 514 comes in. It’s a whole new way of experiencing the  EVE universe through what we call a “persistent shooter”.

“Persistence” is the key word here. The world of DUST 514 doesn’t spawn when you fire up your PlayStation 3 — it’s always there and always being experienced and influenced by  other players in the EVE universe. When you take part in events in the  EVE universe through combat in DUST 514, you’re taking part in something  greater than your own individual experience of that world.

Your Battles Have Impact

Your actions have significance. We think that’s a compelling  approach to a game, and something that’s currently lacking in the  industry. But impact on what? The EVE universe is made up of thousands  of solar systems, each with a number of planets within those systems.  Those same planets seen in EVE Online, where the MMO players create  various planetary structures and colonies, are the potential  battlegrounds of DUST 514.

Your fights impact the entire EVE setting, comprised of both DUST 514 mercenaries and EVE Online starship pilots, known as “capsuleers“.  When you capture or destroy planetary structures, you are asserting  dominance over regions of that planet – perhaps eventually the planet  itself. As you profit while wiping out your opposition in DUST 514, the  outcomes of these conflicts can affect territorial control of vast  regions of space in EVE Online, something of great importance to EVE’s  starship pilots.

But making allies of some capsuleers makes rivals of others… and that’s where things get even more interesting. (Can you say, “orbital strike“?) Players of both games will have ways of influencing each other, and actions will ripple between DUST 514 and EVE Online.

Part of what makes EVE Online uncommon among MMOs is that the open  setting allows for emergent gameplay. Large-scale fleet warfare is  fought among the stars in complex military campaigns that can span  months, while spies can infiltrate corps and funnel sensitive intel to  the opposition. Industrialists plot and topple rivals on the financial  markets rather than through violence; skilled corps of hired guns settle  disputes through… aggressive negotiations. This is just a fraction of  what players accomplish in the EVE setting, which DUST 514 mercenaries  will find their own unique ways to engage in. The possibilities are all  there to become a part of this, but what happens is up to you.

Of course, either game can exist on its own without the EVE-DUST  Link, but both sides benefit from it greatly when the players of each  respective game choose to use the connections for all they’re worth.
DUST 514 for PS3

A Single Community That Spans DUST 514 and EVE Online

Ah, an aspect of DUST 514 that’s near and dear to my heart. Those  friends and enemies you make between the games leads to a great deal of  player community interaction. CCP provides the setting with the EVE  universe but ultimately it’s you, the players, who really breathe life  into it. And people have certainly done so already, long before DUST 514  was even a twinkle in our eye.

EVE Online has history spanning more than eight years, with a vibrant and (usually) mature community linked together through EVE Gate,  a social network for EVE players that is tied in with their characters.  EVE Online players use it to communicate with their friends and enemies  alike, and interact with their corporation even when not playing the  game. We will open EVE Gate up to DUST 514 players as well.  Opportunities will always be there for those who want to be part of the  social fabric of this linked community, the wider EVE setting.

There are definitely challenges ahead, with a unified console and PC  gamer community each influencing a shared setting through their  respective types of gameplay. Rivalries, alliances and, dare I say, even  some drama. Interesting times.

The Virtual Goods Economy

A strength of EVE Online is the depth of its economy. We are taking a  similar approach to DUST 514, though we will do so carefully, with a  slow integration of economic activity between both titles. (Fun fact:  CCP employs two economists to oversee the EVE universe’s virtual  economy, one for EVE Online and another focused on DUST 514.)

Virtual goods will be a major part of the in-game economy, and our  business model for DUST 514 is built upon digital distribution and  virtual goods transactions rather than following the traditional boxed  games model. In fact, that’s another key thing that led us to abandon  the FPS label in the first place — as a persistent shooter, our approach  to creating and operating DUST 514 is more like an MMO. We will  continually develop and improve upon DUST 514, but that won’t be funded  by going the ‘map pack sales’ route. DUST 514 will have free expansions,  and that development will be funded through virtual goods sales. Plus,  everyone likes having customization options, right?

The virtual goods themselves will provide all manner of weaponry and  defensive technology, vehicles, and more. This perpetual arms race will  provide DUST players with variety in their gameplay and an array of  virtual goods that supports a chosen playstyle.

Message 1 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
678 posts

Re: Introducing DUST 514, a Persistent Shooter from CCP

Jun 7, 2011

Full move and ss support too!  They should use Socom 4's  SS settings for controller basis, I use it competetively and match DS3 users toe-to-toe.

Photobucket

Message 2 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jun 7, 2011

I was highly interested in this game when I saw the my first article about a couple of years back. Now that its been declared as a PS3 game, I'm practically sold on it. I've read this article and the devblog on the gamesite, and it all sounds awesome. In actuality, its exactly what I was hoping for out of MAG. A game where we can group up with our friends and get updates on the situation and events you missed out on while in the real world. One where everything I do actually means something other than a bonus for out team and an increase to our score on a virtual scoreboard. I know the game has a bit longer to go in development, but I hope it doesn't change much between now and release. Looking forward to next summer already and hope that I'll have the chance at a closed beta invite when it comes time.

Message 3 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jun 8, 2011

As an long time EVE player I to have very high hope's for this game.

If it work's well it will bring a whole new dimension to my EVE experience and i hope to the FPS aspect as well.

For those of you who have never really heard or seen much about EVE I have to say for me personally it has been the best MMO i have ever played. I have been playing it since march of 2004 it is the most PvP driven game i have ever played. From Full on Alliance battles involving hundreds even thousand's of players, to the player driven market even to the corp espionage where not only is it done but allowed that you could infiltrate a corp>alliance  become a trusted member be given more access and right's to corp/alliance assests and then turn around and take everything the corp/alliance has and ruin them. 

Went a little of topic there sorry the point i am trying to make is that i hope that same kind of immersion comes  with Dust 514. Not your run of the mill run&gun style FPS which almost every one i played is. I am hopeing that this will bring more team style play where you all actually work together and communicate

For those of you who might be interested in seeing more about eve or seeing what kind of game ccp has created heres a link to videos of eve  

http://www.eveonline.com/download/videos/?type=2

I would suggest starting with the Exodus trailer and also then watch Never Fade/No Other Destiny/Butterfly Effect / and then Casuality with it you can see the progression of the game and the dedication the guys at CCP have and i hope to expect that same dedication with  DUST with it i hope to see a new era of FPS

Message 4 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
631 posts

Jun 11, 2011

This game has definitely planted itself right in the middle of my radar. I will be watching it very closely. I love the concept and ideas driving the production of this game. However, I am also very worried that this game will flop. There is so much that CCP has to get just right for this to be a success and I don't know if they can do it. I sure hope they can but I still wonder.

Should this game succede in everything it has set out to do it might just take a spot for my bi/annual shooter fix. Which is currently battlefield games.

Here's to the success of Dust.

Get your Portable ID!
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Message 5 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jun 11, 2011

PS3 AND Vita.  Don't forget about the Vita version.  Speaking of which, there will be cloud saves so you can play on both right?  Because if there is I'll buy both versions.

Message 6 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5112 posts

Jun 27, 2011

Hmm lot of people unhappy with CCP right now

http://forums.keqonline.com/showthread.php?tid=214

follow me on twatter https://twitter.com/gobbybobbyy
youtube.com/gobbybobby2
JOIN KEQ

PLANETSIDE 2 PC and PS4
EVE ONLINE
DUST 514
DCUO PS3.
Battlefield 4
Neverwinter
make an app on keqonline.com or Message me on PSN/ Steam

VISIT KEQ FORUMS http://forums.keqonline.com/index.php
Message 7 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2570 posts

Aug 14, 2011

For me I just want games like this to take off. True variety for my FPS online experiences and when I heard this game went PS3 exclusive my interest in it definatly went up. I'm just so tired of this whole Modern Warfare craze that's gripped developers seemingly everywhere.

Everyone seems to be looking for MW type success and in the process damning very dedicated fans of certain games. Sony has taken to this "we're like COD/MW too" mentality. When I see perks even in a racing game like Motorstorm I can't help but cringe. SOCOM, Killzone and even Uncharted all seem to want in on this MW crap.

This is why I really enjoy MAG and I'm hoping DUST514 will be something that brings more variety into this team based, MASSIVE battles FPS online experience. For me, Once you go 256, you can't go back... maybe to 16v16 at a bare minium but it just ain't the same. I want to play huge battles not skrmishes of 12v12 stuff trying to simulate a war feel.

I'm hoping games like MAG and DUST514 do so well that maybe there'll be developers that try to bring MELEE ACTION Massive Action games to the market too. Imagine a medevil MAG with Demon Souls combat. Battles going up to 100 v 100 with catapults and dragons and warbeasts and.... gosh, with supporting MW type shooters, a game like this will be hard to bring to gamers but fingers crossed.

Message 8 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Sep 9, 2011

When I first read about Dust 514 I was really excited about it. When I found out it was part of the EVE online world I was greatly excited (another PS3 MMO....AWESOME!). When I heard it was gonna be PS3 exclusive I was even more excited.

Now I hear it's only going to be 32vs32 (or is it 16vs16?) and it's less exciting. I also see that they are running it with an in game Marketplace....incredible let down since a players abilities shouldn't be based on how much real life money he pays into the game!

At first the more I heard about it the more excited I was and now the more I hear about it the more I'm becoming disappointed by it.

I played MAG and loved it and now I'm playing DCUO (nearly exclusively) and love it. Once you get hooked on MMOs it's difficult to find excitement in anything else. Sadly....Dust 514 is not turning out to be the MMO I thought it was going to be and the in game marketplace for actual, stats based gear and equipment is a terrible mistake!

Sorry CCP, but in the past year or so (when I first heard of this game), you have both gained and lost a die hard fan.....and all before the game is even released!

stargiss
Message 9 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5621 posts

Sep 9, 2011

gobbybobby wrote:

Hmm lot of people unhappy with CCP right now

http://forums.keqonline.com/showthread.php?tid=214

JOIN KEQ on the VALOR PMC

Send me a message here on the forum, make an app on keqonline.com or message me ingame I am online most evenings

VISIT KEQ FORUMS http://forums.keqonline.com/index.php

lol i love stylies response

Photobucket
Message 10 of 10 (169 Views)
0 Likes