Jul 31 2013
By: PLYMCO_PILGRIM PlayStation MVP 46582 posts

The New Ambush Deploy

7 replies 120 views Edited Jul 31, 2013

What do you all think of them making it just "ambush" and combining the 2 modes?

I tried it out last night and I liked it better.  It seems that with the ambush and ambush OMS you would always run in to particular groups of people over and over.  It didn't seem to happen that way last night, but then again it was only one night :smileywink:.   I like variety in my opponents.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (120 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: The New Ambush Deploy

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

:smileywink:  I endorse the change.  As I played those matches more and more, your observation became quite right; the SAME players (same STYLE of player?) kept bumping into you (regardless of blue or red team), maybe because Ambush attracts the run-n-gun vets,...gives them the blank environment they are best in. 

The more I entered matches with OMG installations in them, the more I saw the developing strategy from players to "blow every *bleepin* installation up right away",  so we can have a clear run-n-gun Ambush map. 

One theory is that the classic run/gun FPS gamers don't want installations endangering their kill streaks. :smileyvery-happy:

Now that the installations are mandatory in the new "Ambush" matches, Newberrys have a chance to realize their different capabilities/ value on the maps,...(:smileylol: and those who hate having their FPS kill-streaks cramped by railgun/blaster barrages will have to spend valuable time trying to sap the installations). 

Excellent.  :smileywink:

.....OH [CENSORED +17]  !!

I don't have access to Newberry matches anymore though, ...would have to create a new character to do it. 

Might be worth it. 

Plymco, you're starting a new character, so... guide those Newberrys well in Ambush mode!  Teach em how to stay alive, Drill Instructor!

288px-Gallente-flag.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (114 Views)
Pistol Proficinado
588 posts

Aug 1, 2013

@Chedwidden: Also tankers tend to blow up installations as soon as the match start to eliminate any potential threat to their expensive vehicle.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (109 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Aug 1, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

@Chedwidden: Also tankers tend to blow up installations as soon as the match start to eliminate any potential threat to their expensive vehicle.

:smileywink: Quite true, Orpheus!  You've got the tactical mind of a good HAV driver. 

But when we're only a minute into the match, and you haven't seen or heard an RDV sweeping in with a vehicle delivery yet, yet those installations start taking hits before you even reach them on foot,... I suspect it's fire from the forge gunners and particle cannon vets :smileysad:

---they're usually the only ones who can inflict that kind of damage so early.:smileysurprised:

If I get downed during training tonight, I'll be testing out the Ambush and Merc Campaign modes along with the rest of ya'. 

We're VETS now ourselves, so we can give CCP our PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS' opinions. 

:smileytongue::smileytongue::smileyvery-happy:

untitled.JPG

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (102 Views)
Pistol Proficinado
588 posts

Aug 2, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

:smileywink: Quite true, Orpheus!  You've got the tactical mind of a good HAV driver. 

But when we're only a minute into the match, and you haven't seen or heard an RDV sweeping in with a vehicle delivery yet, yet those installations start taking hits before you even reach them on foot,... I suspect it's fire from the forge gunners and particle cannon vets :smileysad:

---they're usually the only ones who can inflict that kind of damage so early.:smileysurprised:

That makes sense, if you are a dedicated HAV pilot, why not create a cheap milita heavy forgegunner to start damaging some of those turrets while you're waiting for your RDV delivery.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (97 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Aug 2, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

That makes sense, if you are a dedicated HAV pilot, why not create a cheap milita heavy forgegunner to start damaging some of those turrets while you're waiting for your RDV delivery.

:smileywink:  Darn it, Orpheus!  You did it again!  That idea is rock solid, and on target.  I hear that in real life that's how Tank Squadrons are used tactically.  They almost NEVER go out onto the field on their own unless they know for sure it's a tank-v-tank onslaught. 

The standard procedure is that INFANTRY (specialized with the gear and stuff to protect the tanks) always goes out flanking or sometimes ahead of the tank formation.

Orpheus, PLEASE tell us you aren't wasting your potential by being a heavy or sniper, etc.  We got to get you in charge of some HAVs (...from what I see in some of my matches, good tank drivers are sorely needed.:smileysurprised:)

Anyway, I tried Uprising 1.3 last night:

• Ambush in the Instant Battles is 8 v 8, but they still have a Skirmish available (maybe you still have to pop through the  10,000 WP ceiling before you can access it?)  My screen reads as Ambush/ Skirmish/ and Domination available.

•  Skirmish matches now ALL appear to have FIVE objectives to take (no more 3- point maps?).

• In Mercenary Campaign Mode, each available match now identifies the "District number" on the planet.  I suspect this better helps you associate the battle with the interface used on the StarMap. 

•  Sounds of nearby mercs, ground vehicles, and overhead traffic really DO sound more identifyable and easier to locate.  (I can now hear WHERE the murder taxi is coming from).

•  Head shots are now MORE noticeably the easier method of cutting through someone's suit.  It was always spoken about, but last night I could actually SEE it happening on two Caldari-suited opponents I killed.  (Note, the CLOSER the two of you are to each other, the more shockingly quick your head shots will finish him...Oustandingly beautiful :smileywink:

• The BALOCH-Impact LAV truly IS gone from the restock option in my assets.  I only have TWO left of the old balochs that came as BPO back at the May release version.  I am going to "preserve" one as a museum piece, and once I use (lose) the other, I know there's no going back.

:smileysurprised::smileysurprised::smileyindifferent: I killed another Heavy-Dropsuit player in a gun-off last night, AND I HEARD THAT FUNNY NOISE AGAIN, so I know I'm not imagining it.  It is the noise of a power-up, or what we call a "level-up" in those old side-scroll pacman-like games.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT NOISE IS SUPPOSED TO SIGNIFY??!! :smileymad:  Is ccp keeping track or counting it as special each time a heavy is killed by an under-suited opponent? 

CDIA252709-fle30030 MILLASLATER.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (92 Views)
Pistol Proficinado
588 posts

Aug 2, 2013

You're right about infantry supported tanks. Also, in real life, the worst place a tank can be is inside a city. With all the buildings, alleys, etc, there is way too many places infantry can hide and ambush tanks with nasty anti-tank weaponry.

Yeah, I'm speced as a sniper :smileytongue: But, I'm not a hill or a red line sniper (those are bad spots to snipe from anyways), I often change positions. The vehicles I have my eyes on are not yet released: the MTAC (a mech / Powersuit) and the fighter planes.

That funny noise you hear is when you land a headshot on someone.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (89 Views)
PlayStation MVP
46582 posts

Aug 2, 2013

I played a bunch more and really do like the new ambush deploy better.

Also some of Chewidden's comments on the sounds reminded me, I want proximity chat for DUST514 still.   By this I mean that if I'm within a certain distance of blue dots or red dots and say something on the mic they can hear me even if they aren't in my squad.  My voice would show up like an in-game sound though, not like someone in their squad talking.

New thread?   :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (84 Views)
0 Likes