Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 06 2013
By: Chedwidden Hekseville Citizen 275 posts

Training and Tips for SEMI-Newberrys. and Advancing players

[ Edited ]
13 replies 427 views Edited Jun 12, 2013

You MAY not have noticed yet, but if you are in the Battle Academy, and are given the option of Ambush, Skirmish, Domination, AND Ambush OM , you are can no longer be labelled a Newberry:smileysurprised:, and CCP probably feels you have developed enough situation awareness to see the advantages of TEAM-COOP movement in Dust 514 combat.

The moment you earned about 10,000 Warpoints (not Skillpoints), you’ve been encouraged to try the more TACTICAL matches. 

You don’t always realize this, but you are being herded down a particular path by Dust 514, a path that’s supposed to gradually DISCOURAGE you from doing:

:smileyembarrassed: the typical “All for Me”  killboard hoarding, purposeless sniper-camping, and bumper-car chaos that we do in other FPS games...

and ENCOURAGE you toward contributing to:

:smileywink: the squad-powered, team-powered, or clan-powered TARGETS of ATTACK. 

While we’re having fun, it’s easy to forget that CCP has a critical purpose meant for Dust 514…and that’s to LINK it realtime and at CAMPAIGN-level, to the capsuleer activities in EVE Online. 

....:smileyindifferent:

To get a grasp of what “Campaing-level” means in the EVE gaming universe, take a look at the Starmap in the Neocom menu.  You've looked at it before and got bored, but that was a long time ago, so you may not have noticed...the Starmap has been changing.  Even without any new game Patches, the STARMAP is the one thing that has been bulking up and getting more detailed. 

The number of planets is outrageously countless, and the map seems to update every 12 seconds or so. Today it is displaying more new data on it than it ever was back at the May 14th launch.  THAT is the "board" Dust + EVE will be throwing us on....but it HASN'T...YET.

The reports I’ve been reading suggest that:

:smileysad:Battle Academy is being used as 1st grader class in safely-controlled districts of the Starmap (you may notice your skirmish matches are occurring in the same 8 or 9 random maps).   Beta players have been wallowing in this for more than a year; Newberrys like me have been in it about a month.

:smileywink:Mercenary Campaign is the mode they want you to migrate to once your mind puts aside the classic FPS deathmatch-n-killboard thinking and can focus FULLY on COOPERATIVE combat. This mode will likely continue until Winter 2013, and allows clans to duke it out only in the Constellations/planets on the Starmap policed by NPC/CCP.

:smileysurprised:Corporation Campaign  (the real objective and grand purpose of Dust 514, because EVE players and Dust players will finally INTERACT and finally COMMUNICATE realtime during battle) will open the entire Starmap (even Null-Space?) to Capsuleer-transported (and funded?), hiring of Mercs to wage single offensives that could go on for several DAYS on globally-cooperative levels. 

This full-blown Corporation-campaigning part is planned to occur around January 2014

...From a student’s perspective, that means if I want (we want) to do well in the Corporation kind of combat that Dust 514 is meant to be all about, and don’t want to embarrass myself (ouselves) and tie up others on the team/ clan/ squad who are trying to achieve greater objectives than “earning an orbital strike call” or shooting down the most enemy dropships,…I (WE) HAVE THE NEXT 6 MONTHS TO LEARN AND DEVELOP COOPERATIVE COMBAT thinking.

My character CELESTA AUNGM has recently graduated from the 10K BattleAcademy arena, so it is not easy for me to link up with the VERY new players anymore :smileysad:.

But in my new Skill bracket matches, I still see:

:manindifferent:beefed-up, shield-tanked prototype-heavy suits killboard hunting by themselves,

:mansad:snipers camping on their own far away from the objective points, and

:mansurprised:buddies hopping in vehicles and driving off before the buddies right beside them can hop in too. 

.....:smileysad:Such uncool dudes.

Since my merc-character’s career path does not get her many kills or Warpoints, I get to observe the ways a lot of us lose the fight, and some of the gimmicks the good players are using. 

:smileyhappy::heart:Please visit this thread to read common sense COOPERATIVE tips that will not only help you prepare for when that EVE gate opens in January, but also helps you cause less damage for the rest of us….cuz, umm, :smileyembarrassed:I have to say, um, if you’re still doin those classic run-n-gun FPS antics,  your activities are actually costing some of us some serious ISK, and actually is helping the red dots win!!  :smileymad::smileyvery-happy:

Also, I will be posting nights when CELESTA AUNGM will be offering DROPSHIP fighting squads (yes, I found out there is such a thing) for practicing and learning some *bleepin'* cool techniques in the BattleAcademy.  

imagesCA6JYU5R.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 1 of 14 (427 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3168 posts

Re: Practice Training for SEMI-Newberrys. and Battle Academy Learners

Jun 6, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

:mansad:snipers camping on their own far away from the objective points, 

*Guilty* I go far far away and pick off the people trying to take the objectives with my Charge Sniper Rifle. If you randomly see me in an obscure place, it's likely because I have a really good view from there.

Message 2 of 14 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: Practice Training for SEMI-Newberrys. and Battle Academy Learners

[ Edited ]
Jun 6, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

Chedwidden wrote:

:mansad:snipers camping on their own far away from the objective points, 

*Guilty* I go far far away and pick off the people trying to take the objectives with my Charge Sniper Rifle. If you randomly see me in an obscure place, it's likely because I have a really good view from there.

:smileywink::smileywink::smileywink: On the contraryt ck2875...You're NOT guilty!! 

If you're using sniper weapon and vantage point to specifically guard your team's possession or deny the enemy from getting a valuable Null point, THAT'S EXACTLY IN A GOOD SNIPER'S JOB DESCRIPTION.  You are contributing to the battle objective!  ....Painful as it may be to me when I'm trying to TAKE the asset from you, I admire your skill (ouch, ow, ow!).

The GUILTY sniper-player (guilty is too harsh a word...think "unuseful" or "unhelpful") is:

:smileysad:the lone-wolf player who's miles from any null or capture point, and is willing to waste his AV rounds on a lone Sage driver who stopped on the empty road...while if he looks at his map, he can see two enemy LAV's attacking the last CRU his fellow mercs are using to respawn.

or

:smileyembarrassed:the tactical rifle sniper who runs WAY past all the juicy Null points to go over to the hills overlooking the enemy's zone, and pick off enemy mercs as they respawn at the rate of one every 30 seconds. (GOOD score for him!), ...but his map would show him that the enemy has a full clone reserve and MCC critical damage, while his blue friends are having a hard time defending even ONE Null cannon that could win the match and earn the sniper Victory ISK. 

:smileysurprised:Sniper Lesson:  The more snipers read that map (especially a sniper, cuz he has a safe pov where he can click on his map without worrying so much about coming under sudden fire), the more he can plant himself in places where the kills he likes to collect will CONTROL the map for the rest of his pals. 

And take my word for it... some of the tactics I've been discovering clever Dropship pilots using for grabbing territory fast, tell me we don't need snipers if they are just anti-social and  headhunting for themselves--we're going to NEED snipers who can CONTROL the playing board for us just to keep us from being "back-door"ed. 

ck2875, you don't need this lesson.  You're already doin' things right!!

288px-Gallente-flag.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Message 3 of 14 (416 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: Practice Training for SEMI-Newberrys. and Battle Academy Advancers

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

:smileywink::heart:This Friday night 10pm and Saturday night 10pm , EST USA, CELESTA AUNGM will be offering SQUAD ATTACK from DROPSHIP practice in the DOMINATION matches of the BattleAcademy. 

If you have earned 10K warpoints, you have access to the Domination match.

Practice Squads are rare, don’t reqire sign-up or clan cuz they only last for the night. 

And you get bonus warpoints/skillpoints for accomplishing instructions in a squad, so it’s a good way to boost your points in the matches!

WARNING:  Domination matches are NOT SAFE matches to fly in, pilots and their passengers get killed easily unless there’s a good plan and good squad coop.  This will be rough going, not for the faint-hearted. 

If you’re becoming a tough merc who likes to taste the kind of challenge you’ll be facing in full-size campaigning, find CELESTA AUNGM in the warbarge lobby before the match.

No Mics necessary, (but it’s always good to have one and learn how to use it). 

EVE-Online-A-Future-Vision-Cinematic-Trailer_1.jpg

Message 4 of 14 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Jun 12, 2013

New findings from the battlefield: 

Just leaving some interesting tips and advice for anyone who has NOT developed great skill with his weapon yet, or hasn't figured out a good dropsuit fitting that keeps him from being owned yet, or wants to try something different than camping with a malitia forge gun on the hilltop...

Did you know that:

• Drop Ulplinks (the little boxes the enemy throws on the floor to allow his pals to respawn near YOUR objective point) can be destroyed with even a standard-issue locus grenade.  If you see an enemy spawn uplink, toss your grenade close to the unit....when it blows, the drop uplink is removed.

• You get more Warpoints per kill, if you access one of the stationary turrets and destroy a clone or clone-vehicle within your range.  You don't have to leave your freindly zone at the beginning of the game.  Simply climb on board one of the turrets located at your field base, and sweep your zoom to find juicy targets.  An enemy clone regeneration unit, an incoming enemy tank, and an inbound RVP carrying an enemy vehicle are the targets that give you the most points for the kill.  (AND, THESE KILL HELP YOUR BLUE BUDDIES CONTROL THE MAP....ALWAYS APPRECIATED :heart:)

untitled.JPG

Message 5 of 14 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Jun 19, 2013

:smileylol:

I just learned another really important practice that we all ought to follow:  At the beginning of the match, the first place you and your buddies spawn (of drop to with your inertia button), SHOULD NOT  be used to call in an RDV delivery.

Half the people in your team may be doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time, and the AI of the game doesn't make allowances for the goofy places we call in a delivery. 

Always CHECK AROUND right after you spawn.  Walk away about 30 steps or so to a clear area, and THEN make you call for an RDV delivery.  Otherwise you'll get your 100,000 ISK LAV smashed in by his 200,000 ISK HAV, and we all go broke and lose some clone lives before the fight has even begun.  :smileymad: grrr.

:smileywink:

Message 6 of 14 (361 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48888 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Nothing worse than watching your vehicle get blown up by colliding with other people's call ins!  Especially if its an 800k isk tank!

Message 7 of 14 (359 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

:smileywink:

Even in a puny militia dropsuit, taking the null cannon points and winning a Skirmish match becomes easy if you keep a few “Battlefield Decisions” in mind:

• Clone Regeneration Units are the second most important NON-moving object on the battlefield (null cannon points are of course #1).  The moment the match starts, everyone goes running to reach and hack a null point----but when you’re near a Regeneration Unit, HACK it. 

Don’t pass it by, and don’t destroy it.  Make the right decision to HACK it.  It takes a LOT of fire to blow them up (even from a missile turret or railgun), so they are VALUABLE for your side to own, and crippling for the enemy to lose.  I’ve seen matches won solely because we owned or stole all the CRUs on the map.   The enemy couldn't get across the map fast enough to deend their null points after that.  WooHoo!

• If you’re a tank driver, DON’T decide to travel around alone.  Make the right decision to let a player jump on your secondary turret—he can protect your rear end from sneaky missile swarmer players while you concentrate on the foward fight.  And learn to form teams of tanks (2 or 3 together when possible).  In real combat, tanks very rarely go into an open fight one at a time.   Heck, I'll ride with ya!!

• Blaster, Missile and Railgun Installations get blown up by enemy players (and friendly players too) who want to rack up warpoints by scoring an installation-kill. 

DON’T blow them up---HACK them and climb into one.  They are the best tool I know for aiming up at sneaky players who like to take a dropship to a roof, set an drop uplink, and help their friends become snipers.  Once you are in a blaster installation, wait for them to camp on the roof—then annihilate them as they continue to respawn.  Your installation will most likely be eventually overrun (and you killed?) but you’ll score more warpoints by USING the gun installation than by blowing one up.  It's the right decision to make.

288px-Gallente-flag.jpg

Message 8 of 14 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

Here's another piece of wisdom based not on the weapons you try to use, but on your mindset.  I think, more than any other Shooter game I've played, Dust tries to INSIST that you go through a match with OBJECIVES in your mind.  

To stay alive longer and garnish more WP scores, you need to run across the map with the right mindset.  Example ;:smileytongue:

When interviewed by SCOPE reporters after a fierce engagement with the enemy, an EVE/Dust player was asked what four objectives guided his mind during the fight. 

The MIndset of a smart gamer playing as an EVE Online Capsuleer:

What was your first objective?

--Use my remote beacons to sap his ship's warp drive and make him a slow easier target.

Your second objective?

---Use only the Minmatar projectiles to fire at him, cuz his Caldari shields have to be bypassed to destroy him.

Wow.  Your third?

---Use my boosted codebreaker skill proficiency to open the cargo holds littered among his ship debris.

Your fourth objective?

---Scoop up only the largest containers that come floating out.  Let the smaller ones go...there isn't much time.  :smileywink:

The Mindset of a smart gamer playing as a Dust 514 Mercenary:

What was on your mind foremost during the fight?

---Hitch a ride on that passing HAV, and operate his secondary turret to cover his rear end while he punches through the enemy and gets me right up close to the captured null point. 

Clever.  What was your second objective?

---Jump off and destroy that enemy spawn-uplink near the null cannon, to stop any enemy reinforcements.

...And your third objective?

---Pull that abandoned Baloch jeep over to the null point to hide my teammate from sniper fire while he hacks the null control panel.

Wow.  Your fourth objective?

---Hide nearby for a few minutes to protect the null cannon until the virus fully uploads.  :smileywink::smileyhappy:

The Mindset of a gamer who still has some things to learn about playing a Mercenary in Dust 514: 

What was the most important objective in your mind during this fight?

---To get that guy over there carrying the shotgun.

Well.  Okay, what was your second objective?

---Kill him.

And your third? 

---Then blow him up. 

....What was your fourth objective?

----   .......Ummm....

:smileyindifferent:

Hey, don't take yourself for granted.  Some games are just for runnin' and shootin'.  But you have cooperative and quick thinking skills too, an Dust is a battlefield that allows you to survive and progress only if you give yourself an OBJECTIVE and don't forget there are teammates who can help you or need your help. 

Do this, and you will soon be a Vet (no matter what puny  underpowered gun you may still be stuck with).  :smileywink:

288px-Gallente-flag.jpg

Message 9 of 14 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Aug 19, 2013

:smileywink:  I recently decided to flesh out my support skills (CCP calls players like me "Artificers"...cool).  I chose to use some SP to increase my turret operating abilities.  This does not help MY character's role nearly as much as it helps OTHER player's characters during combat. 

I got an invite to temporarily "squad up" with a vehicle driver, and as his gunner, I multiplied his vehicle's usefullness in the matches. 

This taught me that there are TONS of kind players out there who you can squad with, in roles that you do not always think of:

one example:

Stay on a gun installation that is BACK in the friendly area.  Keep your eye on the horizon for enemy RDV's that are landing---the first two minutes is when a lot of players call in deliveries of their favorite vehicles.  They will use these vehicles to decimate your buddies.  Take your best shots at the RDV's payload (or the RDV itself) when they it's arriving and trying to deliver stuff---or shoot at the dropships the minute they start flying! 

This gives you SP that you can use to boost your turret damage effectiveness. 

That makes you a higher damage modification a turret than other players. 

This gives you a specialty that you can SELL to other players looking for members to operate in their squads.

That makes your name and name worth looking for when squads need help.  (like an MVP in a sports game). 

You don't need to become obsessed with becoming a great AR master or Tank driver.  Develop a SECONDARY skill, and SELL that talent to other players you may meet in the chat or fourms or clans. 

Team work and communication get SO scarse in this game sometimes, that teams will be STARVING to get you in their squads instead of another one of those solo-maverick mercs that don't take time to even know there are other players on this planet.

large-drone-_p.jpg

Message 10 of 14 (166 Views)
0 Likes