Jul 24 2013
By: R1shworth First Son 1 posts

dust 514 new player

4 replies 200 views Edited Jul 24, 2013
Im new to new eden and its very hard right now to get my head around it all. Is there anyone that I can team up with and learn the basic from them. Just add me with a message. I play from 7pm uk time.
Message 1 of 5 (200 Views)
0 Likes
CCP Community Manager
16 posts

Re: dust 514 new player

Jul 24, 2013
Welcome to DUST 514! I can't offer you in-game help personally, mainly because I'm awful at the game despite working for CCP, but I can point you in the direction of some people who might be able to.

First off, there's DUST University, a player-run corporation to help newbros get their heads around things:
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/DUST_University

There are also a few good tutorial videos for new players out there, such as these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLla4hJ5knwmfCXWy_nwVAlSxYHi0wGq-v

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz6mRFwagoijLzBDyhSlZ7vNjlSxStvwR
---

DUST 514 Community Representative
Message 2 of 5 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

Smiley Tongue A fellow English citizen!!  Champion! 

I am in the US these days, so we are not on the same time, but I usually play after 10pm Eastern time (NY).  You have the right idea---TEAMING up with someone in the matches is the best way to buffer yourself from getting killed every 5 seconds, and gives you time to start learning.  Dust's learning curve is VERY STEEP, so don't let yourself get frustrated early.

When you're in Dust gameplay, your Playstation ID doesn't show up easily---only the "name" you've created for your character.  My character's name comes up as CELESTA AUNGM, and I'm difficult to find on the battlefield because my character's chosen career is transport pilot (Dropships).  I'm usually flying above you guys.  But it is one good way to observe and learn.  Let us know your character name, and some of us will keep an eye out for you.

The forums Eterne listed are excellent, but sometimes wear out the patience of console players (we are famous AHDD sufferers). 

While INSIDE your living quarters between actual combat, there is a CHAT system that you'll eventually learn to use.  Type in (to link to) the following chat channels, and Dust will save them so you can access them any time for learning and discussions :

"0K0D"

"PSFourms"

"Better hide r Die"

These are some of the friendliest and most mentoring chat channels, and you'll meet some seasoned and newberry players there.

The other advice we can give you RIGHT AWAY  is:

• Don't travel alone around the maps.  Board a jeep and man the gun, run behind some freindly troops, help them with what they may be doing, but DON'T get caught trying to run around on your own.

• For heaven's sake DON'T START SPENDING your SP SKILL points right away, trying to get stronger equipment.  All the cool items in Dust are very seductive, but which ones and when to buy is the HARDEST lesson we learned in this game.  Getting ISK money becomes easy as you play more and more---but SP skill points are the paramount possession and they are always hard and slow to accumulate. 

• Learn best and fastest by listening or talking during gameplay---MICs aren't mandatory, but a MIC REALLY gives you communication and learning advantages.  Even a new player like yourself can call out danger over your MIC, and end up winning the match for you side.  Smiley LOLYes, Dust is that clever a game.

As I said, we're not on the same time zones, so my chances of meeting you and giving you some "safe" tours of the battlefields as your teammate may not easily happen.  But stay on this PS network forum, and you'll find a hanful of really cool advising players here.

Just let us know your Dust character's name.  And welcome to the cleverest, most challenging shooter-game you've ever known.

untitled.JPG

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 3 of 5 (186 Views)
Platinum
54257 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 24, 2013

R1shworth wrote:
Im new to new eden and its very hard right now to get my head around it all. Is there anyone that I can team up with and learn the basic from them. Just add me with a message. I play from 7pm uk time.

Can you be on earlier, your time, on the weekend?  I ask because I can hop on saturday or sunday morning around 8 am Eastern time in the US which I think is 2 or 3 pm your time.   I'd walk you through the skill system, the marketplace, and the dropsuit loadouts if you wanted.  

There is a catch, I'd want you to be in my corp before I do that Smiley Tongue.    http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/DUST-514/BHD-Better-Hide-Or-Die-recruiting-for-Dust514/m-p/39...   <--that should tell you how to join us 

Also, check this thread out, EXTREMELY helpful if you are new  http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/DUST-514/PA128-s-Dust-514-Beginner-s-Guide/m-p/40474957#U4047...

Message 4 of 5 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Jul 24, 2013

Smiley Very Happy 

R1, you have just been introduced to Plymco_Pilgrim. 

Head of one of the Chat channels I listed above.  And Plymco is one of the generous players I described earlier. 

If you can't look up and find me flying over your head on the battlefield, find Plymco on the ground somewhere and stick to him like glue.  His character's career specialty gives him the modules and gear to keep fellow players from getting killed and plowed under during the fight.

Good thing about the PS network's  Dust Forum, is that the fun generous players tend to troll this fourm more than the others, and so you'll naturally end up meeting all of us just by starting up a thread here.  (so ends my Playstation Network voluntary advertisement Smiley Very Happy)

large-drone-_p.jpg

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 5 of 5 (167 Views)