Mar 10 2012
By: KAGEHOSHI- Survivor 2956 posts

"horde mode-like battles" Reported, and More

11 replies 126 views Edited Mar 10, 2012

http://dustmercs.blogspot.com/2012/03/horde-mode-like-battles-reported-and.html

Some interesting news, there is also something troubling about dropsuits surviving death.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3132 posts

Re: "horde mode-like battles" Reported, and More

Mar 24, 2012

I'm a little confused about the persistent dropsuit thing. So everything we have when we die is lost? Meaning that if you wanted to hop onto this game and not pay a dime (just for the sake of an example) that eventually after a certain number of deaths you won't have anything left and won't be able to play anymore?

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/zpeabody/twistedmetal.png

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2570 posts

Mar 24, 2012

.. why would even think that? These people want you to play their game and come back to it over and over again. You really think they would want to punish you in this manner? That doesn't make sense. I'm sure we'll find out more in the months to come.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Mar 26, 2012

I think the way it works is that you have to buy your weapons with ingame currency, and if you die, you lose your weapons. EVE Online supposedly does the same thing with spaceships. (I'm not sure, you'd have to ask someone who's actually played it)

My status is fine, Admiral. But yours is about to go Red.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2734 posts

Mar 30, 2012

SickJ wrote:

I think the way it works is that you have to buy your weapons with ingame currency, and if you die, you lose your weapons. EVE Online supposedly does the same thing with spaceships. (I'm not sure, you'd have to ask someone who's actually played it)

Yes weapons and armor will cost in game currency. Here is a tip I learned from some EVE pilots. Don't go into battle with stuff you can't afford to lose.

I am the Replicant Engineered for Galactic Infiltration and Sabotage Mark V.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2956 posts

Mar 31, 2012

Fighting this thing in the PVE horde mode.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Apr 4, 2012

REGIS_MARK_V wrote:

Yes weapons and armor will cost in game currency. Here is a tip I learned from some EVE pilots. Don't go into battle with stuff you can't afford to lose.

I am the Replicant Engineered for Galactic Infiltration and Sabotage Mark V. Photobucket

Okay, this game now has my attention.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Apr 12, 2012

In Eve, there are some ships you get for free.  They are officially called "rookie ships", often called "n00bships", and universally described as pieces of %@#.  They come with a civilian gun and a civilian mining laser, and are so cheap they aren't even worth recycling.  They are used by new players (generally only for a day or so before they can afford something better), experienced players who died far from home and just want to fly back and get their spare ship, and fools who lost something they couldn't afford to replace.

In Dust, I suspect this will translate to a free basic assault dropsuit and basic assualt rifle.  While you can go into battle with the free stuff, trust me, you won't want to.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Apr 17, 2012

Drunkenvulcan has it pretty much right. All players will get some militia gear at the start, which is the equivilant of rookie ships in EVE. So if worst comes to worst, you will never be stuck without a gun or a suit.

However, at the same time, you're going to want to invest that ISK you earn into buying some decent gear for yourself. And yes, while you'll lose it on death, the whole idea is to be earning more ISK from a match than you expended by playing it. And THE REGIS is correct about that piece of advice, and I would apply it the same in DUST 514: don't use what you can't afford to lose.

But getting back on topic, I really hope to see CCP use this as an excuse to give us more than four players in a horde survival mode setting because as far as I know, no other game does more than four (and if you have examples of one that does, please do share - I want examples for CCP!). Imagine you and another 15 guys going full out defending a base against a massive horde of rogue drones. Sounds pretty cool, right?

Writer, www.dust514base.com

Administrator, www.dust514.org

Future DUST 514 commander
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
794 posts

May 16, 2012

The dropsuit thing has been making me worry for a while now, but I trust the developers are smarter than charging us that often.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (126 Views)
0 Likes