Nov 18 2010
By: SabinKenobi I Only Post Everything 1087 posts

Impressions of the new DDR for the Ps3

15 replies 1963 views Edited Nov 18, 2010

This is a thread for posting how you feel about the new DDR that (FINALLY!) came out of the Ps3. Feel free to add your own feedback.

This game is a tough call for me, I'm about half and half disappointed and overjoyed so it's a mixed bag of a review. First off, it's DDR, it's back, and it's for the Ps3! Those things alone are something to celebrate since Konami doesn't understand the point of a release date (it took them over a year for the game to come out since the original release date, for those who didn't know). Also, it does have trophy support. Feel free to look elsewhere on here to see the trophy list as I don't want to spoil it here if someone doesn't want to know, but the game does have trophies.

Upon getting the game, the soft dance pad that comes with the game is almost identical to those of the Ps2 versions they made, in terms of quality. The non-slip has even more grip and the pad is extremely responsive, which was a God-send since the 3rd party pads I've bought for the Ps3 lack in actually hitting the button I step on. I did have to calibrate it due to lag with my HDTV and while there is no auto-calibrate (which I find odd they didn't put one in) I did get it to work perfectly. The pad does have a new feature that you can't see; while playing you can activate the "Groove Trigger" which is like a temporary bonus time window by sliding your foot from the up arrow over to the X or O buttons (slide left or right). You can only activate it when your dance or "groove" meter is full and when you do activate it it drops to half full, so you can die right after using it if you're not careful; kind of a cool feature, I kinda like it cuz you don't have to use it and it only affects your points so if you're playing for fun with friends it doesn't even matter.

My biggest disappointment out of this whole thing was that this DDR pad does NOT work with the Ps2 games on a backwards compatible (60 Gb in my case) Ps3. W-T-F. My Ps3 sixaxis and dualshock controllers work with Ps2 games, hell even my 3rd party off-brand DDR pads work with Ps2 games so what the heck did Konami do to make their pad NOT work with Ps2 games? Honestly I don't even know how you can screw this one up, it seems the pad should work and they would have to deliberatly do something to make it not work. I'm really pissed because as I said before, 3rd party pads do not have good responses.

So anyway, that HUMONGOUS let down aside, the DDR game itself is pretty solid. It has your regular free play mode, training mode, workout mode; then it has club mode, dance off mode, and move and step mode.

- Free Play, for those who've never played DDR is just your basic mode where you pick what song you want, pick a difficulty and go; not much more to say about it.
- Training mode, again, is just like previous DDR's; you can slow a song down, add a metronome or hand claps to help you learn a song, things like that.

- Workout Mode is actually just something you can turn "on" and then it will count your calories during free play, club mode, training mode, and move and step mode.

- I haven't tried the dance off mode as it sounds kind of stupid: you take turns playing the same song trying to steal arrows from each other... first off, whatever song you pick is going to get real old real fast and second stealing arrows is kind of lame. Personally I would love something like Gutiar Hero III's battle mode where you get different attacks and I believe they did this in a previous DDR but I've never used it.

- I also didn' try the Move and Step mode as I don't have a Move controller (others please post a review of how that goes).

- Club mode is kinda cool and kinda lame. You pick however many random songs you want to play and then play them STARTING in beginner difficulty... so it will always start out boring. As you play and depending on how well you do, you can gain "tricks" which mess with you, changing speed and appearance, as well as the difficulty changing. What I find most frustrating about this mode is that you can't pick the songs you want, and I swear the game knew which songs I hated because it kept picking those, and if you miss 2 or 3 arrows, it knocks you back down a difficulty or even two, wheras to get back up a difficulty seems more like a bare-minimum of 50 arrows at least. Also, club mode is how you unlock new songs so you have to do it.

Other than that there is the video feature where you can upload videos of yourself playing to youtube. Again, I didn't try this as since I don't have a Move controller you can probably also guess that I don't have a camera. Also, it won't matter in a week but the music store for the additional DLC and all the classicaly epic songs that made DDR so popular are not yet available *sigh* Konami just doesn't understand release dates.

While that's about all I have to review about the game itself I also want to point out what's lacking. It surprises me that even the Ps2 version had an online mode, yet despite having an extra year to work on the game Konami was not able to add this feature. There is no online mode, versus or just for fun, no leaderboards; just the ability to upload you videos to youtube, woohoo (sarcasim). And also the game only has about 50 songs... now I get they can't put tons on there or we won't give them more money later but for pete-sakes it's a frickin bluray disc that can hold 50Gb, put a little more music on there than the Ps2 versions!

And since I brought up quanity of songs, I might also point out that the quality isn't great across the board. Before I point out the obvious flaws, I will say there are some great songs on here and especially Naoki's work, I bow to your greatness. However, Konami has once again included some American pop songs that don't belong, hell even a country song is on this disc. Songs like "Dancing in the Street" and "We are Family" are pushing it at best with it's generations-of-yore style and sound, but "Need You Now" by Lady Antebelium and "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train are the bottom of the barrel with Konami... a country song on DDR?!?  Don't get me wrong, I like, for example, Jason Mraz and even Paramore, but they just aren't really DDR material. My hope is that Konami will notice what gets downloaded as DLC and act accordingly with the next DDR (which will come out in 2014 I'm sure), so make sure you don't buy any pop crap songs, or if they have a country trackpack *shudder*, please buy the good DDR songs as DLC so they get the point.

Message 4 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
523 posts

Re: Impressions of the new DDR for the Ps3

Nov 17, 2010

SabinKenobi wrote:
...this DDR pad does NOT work with the Ps2 games on a backwards compatible (60 Gb in my case) Ps3. ...

how about the other way around?  Do the old dance pads (native USB or with PS2 to PS3 adapter) work in the new PS3 game?  I'm guessing they don't as its Konami, but have to ask anyway.

Thanks for info by the way... definitely some good highlights and lowlights pointed out.

Message 1 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Nov 18, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

SabinKenobi wrote:
...this DDR pad does NOT work with the Ps2 games on a backwards compatible (60 Gb in my case) Ps3. ...

how about the other way around?  Do the old dance pads (native USB or with PS2 to PS3 adapter) work in the new PS3 game?  I'm guessing they don't as its Konami, but have to ask anyway.

Thanks for info by the way... definitely some good highlights and lowlights pointed out.

I have a native USB pad that does work on the new Ps3 game. However, it can't do a new feature called the groove trigger which I will add into my review cuz I kinda forgot about it as a new feature. But if you're just going to play straight old-school DDR then yes, my native USB pad did work. I'm working on aquiring the usb connector for a RedOctane pad that the usb connector was lost to, once I have that we'll see how it works cuz I do like having the padding under my feet.

Message 2 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
255 posts

Nov 18, 2010
It is such a disappointment there was no online mode. What were they thinking? That was a huge selling point for me and I'm going to wait awhile until the music store has some DLC worth getting before I buy the game. Thanks for your impressions
Message 3 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17490 posts

Nov 18, 2010

I have been a day one DDR buyer since Supernova 2. I also own all 8 PS2 versions except for the disney channel edition. I have been playing DDR for 3 years, both at the Arcades and at home.

On the side of the gameplay itself, the biggest thing is that I'm going to miss is that little circle graph showing what's in each individual song from the stand point of these categories: (Stream, Voltage, Chaos, Freeze, and Air). That circle graph was really useful in terms of telling me what song to avoid for a while so that I can get used to getting the basics and the timing down.

Other than that, I think the scoring is far too easy (even on the expert difficulty) for the letter ranks like: E, C, B, A, AA, and AAA. Getting a AAA now requires you to get a full combo consisting of Greats and Perfects instead of having a Perfect or near-perfect scores. The good category now helps to contribute toward a full combo instead of it being a combo breaker. I also don't like how they changed the Boos to Misses and also them taking out the Almosts too.

I'm actually happy that they narrowed the timing windows of the perfects, when you are not on top of your game, then you'll be getting more greats than you thought that you would. The window is much narrower than compared to x2 where I had as little as 3 greats in just one song. With X2's perfect timing window; I was able to earn AA and AAA consistently while every once in a while with a more difficult song, my grades would be ranging from A's to B's with the exceptions of "Dead End Groove Radar Special" and the Pluto remixes

I haven't tried club mode yet, since I'm still trying to get used to the timing down to an art, like I did with all the other PS2 versions. Figuring out the scores for each letter grade will take a bit longer

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 5 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 18, 2010

I thought I'd add in, I bought DDR for the PS3 yesterday, and hooked two different Red Octane pads (I think it was the 3.0 version that had the USB cable with it)....sadly, it didn't work   It came close, the left and down arrows worked, but for some reason te up and right were reversed.  My wife and I love playing DDR together...does anybody know some decent third party pads that are compatible with the new game?

Message 6 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7477 posts

Nov 18, 2010

AngryAnt716 wrote:

I thought I'd add in, I bought DDR for the PS3 yesterday, and hooked two different Red Octane pads (I think it was the 3.0 version that had the USB cable with it)....sadly, it didn't work   It came close, the left and down arrows worked, but for some reason te up and right were reversed.  My wife and I love playing DDR together...does anybody know some decent third party pads that are compatible with the new game?

x and o button is reverse as well

Message 7 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Nov 18, 2010

AngryAnt716 wrote:

Huh, Konami really did screw with their pad then if it's the only one that truly works in the game and doesn't work on the Ps2 games. I was hoping to try out my RedOctane Pad (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Octane-Multi-Platform-Playstation-2/dp/
B00099ZAGQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=vid...
) once I got another USB plugin for it, but if that's the same as the one you got then I guess it doesn't really matter.

I do however still have my 3rd party native USB pad (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Deluxe-Non-Slip-Dance-Playstation-3/
dp/B000YFV9J2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=...
) which was never overly responsive in the first place. However, the pad does work with the new DDR game for the Ps3 in terms of the arrows being correct, even though I don't really recommend the pad. Also, intereting thing about using a 3rd party pad like that, you can't activate the groove trigger with it (sliding from up to X or O) so Konami had to do something special to their new pad so that I'm guessing only it can do the groove trigger. Kind of a bummer since I've finally learned what people meant about the thick-foam Red Octane pads not hurting their feet as much as the regular thin pads... my legs and feet hurt right now from using the new pad so much, I miss the foam, haha.

Message 8 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Nov 18, 2010

xaznboitonyx wrote:

AngryAnt716 wrote:

xaznboitonyx wrote:

AngryAnt716 wrote:

Konami did switch the X button to the upper right corner and O button to the upper left, it had always been the other way around. I don't know if using the Red Octane pads, the X on it is really X or if it's also switched around. But when I used my 3rd party pads that suck, it still had it where the X was on the left and the O was on the right, and the buttons were correct with what the pad had them as, they weren't reversed.

Message 9 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Nov 20, 2010

Solid game, nothing more. Why they took out Edit Mode, Doubles Play, Online Play, Groove Radar, as well as a few sorting options is beyond me, but it seems like removing those features hurts the game more than anything else. Licenses suck. They were designed to appeal to girls and housewives. Video manager is kinda wasted as you can only record KONAMI Originals. Move and Step is kinda like ParaParaParadise but with a remote.

A good first entry, but it needs work in the online department. Devs are starting to rely far too heavily on DLC thus making for a lackluster launch product. I'm almost sure DDRMAX2 had more songs than this.

Message 10 of 16 (1,963 Views)
0 Likes