Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 10 2011
By: GreenTux First Son 4 posts

Convincing My mom to Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution

10 replies 679 views Edited Sep 10, 2011

I want to convince my mom to let me buy and play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Im 15 and have convinced her to let me play Assasins Hood: Brotherhood. I find myself as a mature individual, I'm homeschooled. She has just always not like the idea of letting me killing people in a video game.  Anyone have any Ideas or sudgestions?

Message 1 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Convincing My mom to Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Sep 10, 2011

If you convinced her to let you play Assassin's Creed, then what's stopping you from convincing her to let you buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution? In other words, how is Deus Ex different?

Message 2 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 10, 2011

I think it's the fact that it's shooting in modern day, and more serious. I also think that she thinks the fps thing makes her see it as more violent. I don't know why its different to her. Third person or First person, its still killing people. I think I needed to show her a more comedic video which I showed her when I was showing her assasins creed.

Message 3 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 10, 2011

I guess you'll have to figure out some way of telling her that you'll still be the same person before and after you play a violent first person shooter. Also, if anything troubles you during your teenage career, you won't use video games to blow off steam -- she'll be the first one you talk to. You'll have to make that one a promise.

Even though violent video games were part of my chiIdhood, that's what I'd want to hear if my kids suddenly want me to buy them violent games.

Message 4 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Sep 10, 2011

GreenTux wrote:

I think it's the fact that it's shooting in modern day, and more serious. I also think that she thinks the fps thing makes her see it as more violent. I don't know why its different to her. Third person or First person, its still killing people. I think I needed to show her a more comedic video which I showed her when I was showing her assasins creed.

Stealth games generally give you the option of non lethal take downs. I have a friend who finished Metal Gear 4 using only non lethal ammo. I've played the 1st and 2nd Deus Ex games and plan on getting the new game and plan on using the non lethal approach. You seem like a very muture 15 year old.  Have a sit down with your mom. Explain to her how the stealh aspec of the game is not always about killing, but in fact about figuring out ways to solve problems without killing. Deus Ex games are known for giving you options on your approach to game play. Express that fact to her.

*********************^v^> Beware of the Chupacabra>^v^********************
Message 5 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11176 posts

Sep 10, 2011

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is actually not a first-person shooter on technical terms. The game is much more of a stealth-action/adventure. Where you can shoot people within, you have the option not to. Where you can level up RPG-style, this isn't a role-playing game with strategic spellcasting and so forth.

Mainly, you're going to do a lot of exploring. Conversing with people and getting missions done is the idea here. Whether you'd rather go through a building with armed patrols killing them with guns is up to you. In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, near the beginning of the game you'll be asked if you want to stay safe with heavy fire or take a more mindful approach to how you'll dispatch guards.

The way I've been playing through the game myself is by not killing anyone - anyone except the bosses. There's no way around that. Otherwise, going in with tranquilizer darts, the stun gun, and plenty of physical takedowns, Adam Jensen has a few options on hand to remove obstacles without sending them six feet under. However, you will see a lot of in-game video playback where he'll strangle a guard, punch them, flip them over, and other acts of violence like so.

Message 6 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 10, 2011

I know mostly about the game I saw GhostRobo do a letsplay on it. I think the mistake when I tried to convice her the first time was showing her the trailer, which does not gie the game justice for what it's really like, Showing it mostly as a shoot em up game, and not what it is which is an action/adventure/RPG that is on the top of my realeased games list right now.

Message 7 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 10, 2011

YAY! Showed my mom the forum and all the resons Deus ex is ok for me to play, and I convenced her . Thank you everyone.

Message 8 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Sep 10, 2011

I don't know you or your mom, so you will have to convince her how you seem fit. Although it looks like you have convinced her.

Just always know to respect her decision.

Message 9 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Sep 20, 2011

best arguement would have to be you can pretty much play the whole game without killing anybody

Message 10 of 11 (679 Views)
0 Likes