Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 11 2011
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmentation Help

8 replies 809 views Edited Oct 11, 2011

Hey everyone, I'm about halfway through the game and a recent boss fight made it abundantly clear that I need some help with my Praxis point/Augmentation upgrades.

Essentially thus far I've been doing the Ghandi, non-violent route (shooting for the gold trophey), and combined with that I'm playing on "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty.  As such when I hit the first main boss fight where you have to be violent and no amount of stealth can save you I was ill prepared and equiped.  I've since picked up a machine pistol and started upgrading it for boss fights and gotten the Augmentation for damage reduction. 

My question(s) is this, are there any augs you feel are absolutely necessary for boss fights later on in the game, and/or weapons, and what augmentations would you suggest for gameplay overall?

Thanks!

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11057 posts

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmentation Help

Oct 11, 2011

The trophy for not killing anyone is not impossible, and it can be done by holding onto killing devices too (which my strategy involved switching weapons whenever a boss fight came up). In the case of boss fights, I had found the rocket launcher but then decided to replace it with the large machinegun you see those heavy guys carrying. Also armed with the assault rifle and another small machinegun, I had all these when on the offense (and the ammo cartridges to  go with them).

Otherwise, I stuck to the tranquilizer darts or stun gun. There was much sneaking and punching lights out too. Gas grenades also help a great deal. For the upgrades required, having your defenses up (also: EMP and gas prevention) and the ability to see through walls will come in service. Having the high jump is the one I think helped on a later boss. It's also good to unlock the cloaking method just for staying out of sight temporarily during exploration.

By the end of the game I had actually opened up most of the stuff you see on the board. There are some non-essentials there, such as hacking the turrets or robots to turn on enemies. Oh, and having your energy bars up to max will indeed help out in a later mission (which cloaking saved the day there as well).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
805 posts

Oct 12, 2011

Boss fights are out of place in Deus Ex.  Though I purchases augments that would assist with stealth such as the cloak, the leg augs, smart vision, and the ability to take out two enemies at once which was more helpful than I expected.  Neglecting to buy combat-related augs really burned me during the combat-focused/no-creativity-allowed/run-n-gun boss fights.

You've put yourself in a very difficult position.  Due to poor AI, playing Deus with a frontal, shoot-'em-up approach is much easier than a stealthy, non-lethal approach.  It is recommended that you play on easy when going the non-lethal route since buying stealth augs instead of combat augs will leave you less screwed during boss fights.  When attempting to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, it is recommended that you take the lethal assault route so you may purchase combat-related augs and better fight the bosses.  By going for a stealth, non-lethal route on hard, you've given yourself a great challenge as you need combat augs to survive boss fights, and need stealth-related augs for the rest of the game, leaving you in a predicament when it comes to purchasing upgrades.

For a stealth route, I suggest you devote points to your cloak, to energy cells, and to navigational powers like the ability to jump 3 meters or move heavy objects, as these will open up new routes for you.  I also found hacking capability upgrades (the ability to hack higher-level terminals) and hacking stealth upgrades (which reduce your chance of being caught when hacking) to be a great investment.  Hacking will do more then open up new routes and get you codes, it can get be a great investment since hacking terminals rewards you with plenty of xp, and hacking all you see may become a main source of xp throughout the game.  It's also necessary for a later boss fight.  I found hacking invaluable.  I also recommend you purchase the reflex upgrade which lets you takedown two opponents at once, which is very helpful when things get crazy near the end.  I did not find smart vision, nor the Icarus landing system to be very helpful. 

I suggest you find out what you biggest problem in Deus is, look at all your options, and prioritize the augs in the order you think you need them.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Oct 12, 2011

Energy Bar Augs and Recharge speed are very useful.

Icarus Landing Aug is mandatory in order to get the Doctorate Trophy, it is needed to get a Ebook at Tai Yong Medical. It's a good aug on it's own.

Typhoon, makes the fight against Namir easy. Easy meaning depends on how many energy bars you have and if they are full before the fight happens. Whatever you do do not get a new chip during your second visit to china. It will disable All of the Agus for the Namir fight.

Smart Vision Aug and EMP Resistance Aug Will help you a big deal when facing Yelena Fedorova in Montreal. Smart vision is very helpfull as she will us cloak a lot. The EMP resistance aug depends on which way you want to take her down. You can stun her with the PEPS or stunt gun and unload with a heavy weapon, or use electrical fuses on the sides of the room to electrocute the floor and have her take damage, you wont be electified as you have the EMP RA.

These are some guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Oct 12, 2011

Thanks for the help everyone.  I'm at TYM in China (first time) at the moment and currently cruising along nicely.  That first fight with Barret was....well it had been since I first tried Demon Souls that I was so frustrated, if that gives you an idea.  Magically I quit after 2+ hours of attempts, and then the next day I started it back up and beat him easily in no time.  I guess I only needed a bit of a break. 

My tentative plan is to dump the next 2 praxis points I get into resists to get those up to 45% (at 15% now thanks to Barret), and into the cloak as I found it invaluable to get Barret to lose me during a fight, and for him to get confused. 

THanks for the heads up on the Smart Vision, I hadn't planned on getting it but now I will for sure. I guess I am enjoying the challenge of the game on hard and not killing anyone (so far 0 kills, it's funny being called Ghandi, etc), and I did pick up one of those heavy rifles recently and start stockpiling ammo.  It seems like a beast! 

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Oct 23, 2011

OK so I completed the game today, and while I did not kill anyone the entire game (except for the three bosses), and even used tranqs and stun guns on the final boss/computer (I don't want to give away too much as a spoiler just that I stunned/tranq'ed all four of them), I didn't receive the Pacifist trophey.  Has anyone else run into a glitch of this nature? The only thing I can think of is when I was saving Malik I tossed a EMP grenade under the big bot, which when it blew up might have killed someone.

Anything I might be missing here?  I was looking forward to the trophey as I think, especially playing on hard to get it, that I did really achieve it.

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11057 posts

Oct 23, 2011

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

During the operation of saving Malik, this is one area in particular that you have to pay attention if you want the Pacifier trophy. The trophy itself unlocks only if you don't kill anyone or affect the death of another soul. If say you've shot someone with a sleeping dart and then someone else walks into the room and drops a grenade, then in turn you've inadvertently killed that person.

On the Malik mission to rescue her, what I had to do was turn myself invisible, then toss the gas grenades at the heavy guys and put everyone else to sleep. One of the heavy guys laying on the ground though will be killed by the large mech that's also on the field. You want to drag him away and destroy the mech afterward so that its explosion (I believe it was) doesn't in turn hurt the guy on the ground nearby. Killing machines has no effect on the trophy, but when you notice the skull and crossbones overhead on each person's position, that's what you want to avoid seeing. If you see that before saving and proceeding onward then you know for a fact that you're going about this the wrong way.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Oct 24, 2011

Hmm, ok, that is my bet as to what happened then.  I'm quite disappointed to be honest as I remember seeing someone go flying away from the bot.  I might just have to reload just before that point and re-play the last 5 hours of the game to get the trophey. 

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Apr 28, 2013

Tip on how to beat Namir below too.

When I played this I upgraded my stealth and energy bars to pass through the areas unseen and used tranqs and stunguns.

So how to beat Namir.

Turn Around when the battle starts and run behind a wall use the ability to see through walls or dont (but it is easier to use it) wait for him to jump over and when his at the top you should be prompted to press O to nail him in the face (KO him) and there you go!!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (312 Views)
0 Likes