Sep 13 2011
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Dragon Age 2...thoughts?

9 replies 622 views Edited Sep 13, 2011

Hey everyone I'm a bit late to the game on this one I know, but I was curious about a few things.  I'm about 5 hours into DA2 playing as a mage, and so far so good.  I like the improvements to combat and the mechanics for the skill/magic trees.  The one place that hasn't grabbed me as of yet is the story.  Now I know I am quite early in so I was just curious if the story starts to ramp up late in the game?  Where is the hook, the overarching plot? 

I played through DASmiley Surprised three times, once as each class, and for my mage I was dark/disruptive magic mixed with some elemental and arcane for that melee fun when I was feeling dangerous.   For those who have played through DA2 as a mage, any suggestions?  So far i'm focusing on fire/ice/elemental magic, and I plan on hitting up the force mage stuff once I have the opportunity as it is new to me.  Anything else I should know/focus on in your opinion?

Thanks for reading!

-SP

Message 1 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Re: Dragon Age 2...thoughts?

Jan 12, 2012

This game is way better than Dragon Age Origins.

The action/combat is fluid and the story is better. Fleeing from the darkspawn was at first the focus, but going into the city you can kick butt all over the place. Going into mines and facing dangerous foes like dragons and rock wraiths is nothing like the first dragon age because the difficulty ramps up on each boss battle.

I havent played as a mage yet except when the qunari killed my main character and I had to play as Anders to kill the boss qunari. The things a mage can do is awesome like freeze and heal, which I will have to keep those tactics in mind when I beat it as the warrior class first.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 2 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Jan 13, 2012

Having played the first one to completion, I think there are some things it did better (deeper customization, for example) but it also really lacked that DA2 provided (better combat).

I personally like DA2 better because I enjoy the combat over the first one, but it would have been cooler if the customization was as in-depth as the original.

Message 3 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Jan 13, 2012

Personally, I hated Dragon Age 2 but I loved Dragon Age Orgins. Yes they improved the combat which was very good but IMO that is where it ends. After about 20 hours in you will be begging to go to a new area but alas there are none. It is the exact same enviroments over and over again. Also, Bioware decided to make almost every male character bisexual and you cannot avoid them hitting on you. When you turn down their advances you cannot complete the quests they want you to do and their loyalty of course goes down. Last but not least, I love RPG's and I like the customization that most RPG's have. DA2 you can only customize your character.......evreyone in your party cannot be customized except for maybe a weapon here and there.

For DAO I got all the DLC and loved the game.....DA2 I got the collectors edition, barely made it through the game and I have already sold it. I will not buy DA3 before I see not only critic reviews but user reviews as well.

One reason I actually had some fun with the game is I used the money glitch to make my charcters super powerful.

Message 4 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Jan 13, 2012

Dragon Age II feels kind of like Xenosaga II in terms of quality: The first one was deeper and the second game was action-oriented and lacked some of the quality that the original had.

Let's hope for DA3 to be better!

Message 5 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Jan 13, 2012

I am really hoping that DA3 gets it right. Let's say I am cautiously optimistic. Bioware claims they have listened to complaints and they are taking what people liked from DAO and DA2 and combining them in DA3. Regardless though I will not pre-order.....unless for some reason I am truly amazed by what I see when they start releasing info and videos.

Message 6 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Jan 13, 2012

I'm definitely going to rent DA3 instead of buy it, because I don't want to buy something that might end up being bad :\

Message 7 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Jan 16, 2012

I must admit that I burnt myself out of DA2.  I made it pretty far, around 40 hours in, but I just never felt the main underlying story to draw me in.  I've never been much of an absolute sandbox player.  I need a story, some kind of objective, etc otherwise for me the flow of a game gets lost.

-SP

Message 8 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Jan 16, 2012

To put this more into retrospect......Dragon Age Orgins took 6 years to develop the game, story etc whereas Dragon Age 2 took 2 years. Not saying good games have to take more than two years to develop but the game looks and feels like it was rushed out almost just like a way to cash in on the name.

Message 9 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
13 posts

Jun 16, 2012

yeah the first one was waaaay better

Message 10 of 10 (622 Views)
0 Likes