PlayStation MVP
41356 posts

Re: ~Dragon Age: Origins~ Information Thread

Jul 10, 2009

BlacJack wrote:

Umm, no.  User created content on consoles is no where near the same thing as on PCs.  Most PC games that have toolsets give gamers the ability to mess with almost ANYTHING in the game.  Anything from creating whole levels, scripting out stories, changing stats, modding game balance, and in some cases, expanding gameplay in new and exciting ways.  Modding on consoles is in its infancy.  Consoles basically give you a simple toolset and let you rearrange things.  You ca't really create anything completely new yet.

Just what I said.  On PC, it's a much larger scale (more/anything to create/tweak/play with) than what we've seen on consoles.  Never said they were the same thing, but he's got a basic understanding of what it is on consoles.

Message 71 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

Jul 10, 2009

BlacJack wrote:

Umm, no.  User created content on consoles is no where near the same thing as on PCs.  Most PC games that have toolsets give gamers the ability to mess with almost ANYTHING in the game.  Anything from creating whole levels, scripting out stories, changing stats, modding game balance, and in some cases, expanding gameplay in new and exciting ways.  Modding on consoles is in its infancy.  Consoles basically give you a simple toolset and let you rearrange things.  You ca't really create anything completely new yet.

The closest console gamers have gotten to seeing the PC modding community was on the PS3 with Unreal Tournament 3.  You couldn't create things on the PS3 (with the level of depth these toolsets offer, you'd need more than just a DS3 to control it all in any useful way), but you could download anything the PC gamers made onto your PS3.  That was a huge first step.

Also, Bioware could easily just make the mods available to PS3 owner if MS is still being uptight about mods on Live.  It was already done with UT3 where 360 owners didn't get the same mod support as PS3 owners did. 

Message Edited by BlacJack on 07-09-2009 11:12 PM

I would have to think a toolset for NWN or Dragon Age is going to be a bit more involved in comparison than what Epic offered in UT3 for the PS3.  I'm guessing though. I never used the mod feature in UT3 on my PS3.

In light of this mod situation on consoles, where would the files for created content be stored?  Devs already have to pay a fee for using bandwidth on PSN.  Who maintains the user created UT3 content?   Epic?

from what i remember the toolset for NWN was overwhelming to say the least.  Damn near need to take a class to learn about everything you can do with it.

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Message 72 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11923 posts

Jul 10, 2009

BlacJack wrote:

The closest console gamers have gotten to seeing the PC modding community was on the PS3 with Unreal Tournament 3.  You couldn't create things on the PS3 (with the level of depth these toolsets offer, you'd need more than just a DS3 to control it all in any useful way), but you could download anything the PC gamers made onto your PS3.  That was a huge first step.

That is what we are talking about. Not an in game map editor but a full pc engine tool set that allows data transfers from pc to console. Like Epic did with Unreal Tournament 3.

Message 73 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41356 posts

Jul 10, 2009

iruhlman wrote:

In light of this mod situation on consoles, where would the files for created content be stored?  Devs already have to pay a fee for using bandwidth on PSN.  Who maintains the user created UT3 content?   Epic?

If I recall, couldn't you just go to any site hosting the created content and download it for UTIII?  In other words, Bioware wouldn't need to worry about hosting it themselves unless they chose to show off certain mods.

Message 74 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11923 posts

Jul 10, 2009

SlashZaku wrote:

iruhlman wrote:

If I recall, couldn't you just go to any site hosting the created content and download it for UTIII?  In other words, Bioware wouldn't need to worry about hosting it themselves unless they chose to show off certain mods.

Yes. All user created content would be hosted by a 'mod site' like UT3MOD.com.  Though Bioware might take the more popular content and add it to there main website/DLC in game like Epic did with the PC Speed mod and some others.

Message 75 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

Jul 10, 2009

xLord-Slothx wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

iruhlman wrote:

Yes. All user created content would be hosted by a 'mod site' like UT3MOD.com.  Though Bioware might take the more popular content and add it to there main website/DLC in game like Epic did with the PC Speed mod and some others.

ah, that makes sense to keep it off the PSN.  To me there just isn't a real easy way to accomplish this on any console.  If I could fire up Dragon Age on my PS3 and have my toolset run and save my creation and upload all while "in-game"  (similar to LBP)  I'd be more inclined to do this.  UT3 you had to install files and this and that and wasn't user friendly (to me) one bit. 

Again, theres already several modding communties just waiting to get their hands on this game and for me this is where the game will shine and remain fresh for what could be many years to come.  Ppl are still creating some very cool adventures with NWN's toolset, I expect this to be no different.  

*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Message 76 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11923 posts

Jul 10, 2009

iruhlman wrote:

xLord-Slothx wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

iruhlman wrote:

ah, that makes sense to keep it off the PSN.  To me there just isn't a real easy way to accomplish this on any console.  If I could fire up Dragon Age on my PS3 and have my toolset run and save my creation and upload all while "in-game"  (similar to LBP)  I'd be more inclined to do this.  UT3 you had to install files and this and that and wasn't user friendly (to me) one bit. 

Again, theres already several modding communties just waiting to get their hands on this game and for me this is where the game will shine and remain fresh for what could be many years to come.  Ppl are still creating some very cool adventures with NWN's toolset, I expect this to be no different.  

I thought the UT3 mod process was simple. Download the files to a USB FD then upload/install the files in game via USB FD. That all you had to do. How do you get more user friendly then that? There is no way to have the tool set in game on the PS3. It's just not possible. Plus, you would need way more control over the engine then the DS3 would give you, the ability to open multiple over lay windows etc. It just wouldn't work. 
LBP planets works in game because it's not a full engine tool set. It is a level editor/builder with a lot of fun aspects to it. 

Message 77 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11923 posts

Aug 1, 2009
Message 78 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1982 posts

Aug 2, 2009
Keeps getting better and better!
"Any escape might help disprove the unattractive truth"
Photobucket

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 79 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Aug 5, 2009
a couple questions for u, will there be a large variaty of weapons and armors? also will you be able to train one of those war dogs to follow and fight for u? any help is appreciated thanks
Message 80 of 84 (754 Views)
0 Likes