Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Re: Dragon Age Overhyped & Overrated

Nov 6, 2009
One of the best RPG's I've played in a long time, haven't done much in the main quest yet,- did first part of redcliffe castle quest and am in the mage tower right now. but have done the 2 DLC's and 6-7 side quests and i'm at around 14 hours in. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 there are a few framerate issues, and the radial menu isn,t the greatest when trying to cast spells during combat but overall excellent game.
Message 21 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Nov 8, 2009

I will have to admit that I love RPGs and JRPGs more than CRPGs... BUT I LOVE Dragon age: Origins!!!

This is the first time Ive played a game of its kind and i have enjoyed every second...

The only thing that i miss is grinding... but with 2 years of DLC planned, I think I will just keep my mouth shut

Message 22 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Nov 8, 2009

I agree with the OP.  This game is not that good.  I, unfortunately, made the mistake of buying it.  I also made a thread talking about how it is not that good of a game.  I wont rehash what I said in it, but once again I agree with the OP.  I'd say rent the game before you buy it. 

Here is my Dragon Age is not that good thread.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=rpg&message.id=433630#M433630

Message 23 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Nov 8, 2009
Game is great, Borderlands is overrated.
Message 24 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Nov 8, 2009

I have been trying to hold off until black Friday because this game was going to be on sale then, but I gave in last Thursday and bought it. This game is crazy fun when I am not playing it I am thinking about the world bioware created and what I am going to do next. Honestly, the frame rate doesn't bother me at all. it is not like I wouldn't like it to be smooth, it's just that the hiccups don't ruin the experience imho.The graphics could be better, but I will take great story/game play over graphics any day. I will put over a hundred hours into the base game easy and will likely buy any/all dlc that comes out for it as long as it's in a timely manner. I don't think I will ever doubt bioware again after this.

Message Edited by RFLAGG080 on 11-08-2009 03:37 AM
Do yourself a favor buy Uncharted 2
Message 25 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

Nov 8, 2009
The only overrated aspect of Dragon Age is the framerate... You'd be hard pressed to find a game with the depth of DAO, only Fallout 3 and Oblivion come close. The gameplay is more suited for PC, but if you put in the time it will soon become second nature. The graphics are hit or miss in some places, but the game does have some best art direction I've seen in a while. Entering that first tower was truly a sight to behold. I put in well over 180 hours with Fallout 3, I should easily triple that number with DAO. It's here to stay, it may not be groundbreaking, and like Demons Souls relies on old school game mechanics, but overhyped/overrated it is not.

Message 26 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Nov 8, 2009

Batang-X wrote:

DoctorWho_90250 wrote:

Lestat21500 wrote:

I couldnt find a forum on here for this so I suppose I'll rant here. When I saw the trailers and gameplay footage I expected a free roaming rpg with co-op capability. Now dont get me wrong, Bioware is a great company and made a good game. I just feel it wasnt what I was expecting and was waaaaaaaay overhyped.  Not to mention there is already DLC the day of launch. **bleep**!?  Why wasnt it included on the disc? Because its EA and they're just trying to make a few more bucks. Well whatever, I'm not buying it.

I feel the definitive edition for dragon age is definatly the PC version. The console versions chug along because they cant handle the graphics and combat on the console versions is archaic compared to the PC point and click function. NOt to mention, the pc has the abilities bar on the bottom of the screen whereas the ps3 I have to select a radial menu to highlight my abilities most of the time and that slows combat down.

Good game with great production values I just feel it was a tad overhyped for its own benefit.

The developers mentioned many times there would not be co-op.  PC versions of games are always the best, and will always be better than console games. I've played Mass Effect and never had a problem with the radial menu. 

true but one thing most PC fanboys don't realize... it's the SAME EXACT GAME.

just because it runs slightly better, is the experience any different? nope.

i have both ps3 version and pc version; pc may look better (graphics) very slightly

but it feels like your playing the exact same game on either platform.

i hate how some gamers are making it seem like PC version is a whole different "beast" compared to the PS3 version.

i've played both and they're the same game.

While they might be the same game, which I am not disputing, the keyboard/mouse interface makes the gameplay experience more fluid. Does this game support keyboard and mouse on the PS3? My argument would be moot then. I know I will buy it for PC. I played Baulder's Gate 1 & 2, NWN 1 & 2, and Icewind Dale on the PC. Might as well continue the trend. 

Message 27 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2551 posts

Nov 8, 2009
                                     Ahhhh,..let them go. Those of us who appreciate a real epic rpg adventure that spans a fictitious world will continue loving it and buying DLC. Cannot put it down,...and please don't compare this to Borderlands. Borderlands is great in it's own way but in no way reflects the type of game DOA is. I suspect the people who don't like it are the types who don't like to read lore and study all the sutble points that actually help one with attributes and skills. Do us all a favor and stop flaming DOA,..some of us are tired of perfectly done menu driven content and like the pace and combat of this game unlike the FF's and such.
Message 28 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1038 posts

Nov 9, 2009

Batang-X wrote:

DoctorWho_90250 wrote:

Lestat21500 wrote:

I couldnt find a forum on here for this so I suppose I'll rant here. When I saw the trailers and gameplay footage I expected a free roaming rpg with co-op capability. Now dont get me wrong, Bioware is a great company and made a good game. I just feel it wasnt what I was expecting and was waaaaaaaay overhyped.  Not to mention there is already DLC the day of launch. **bleep**!?  Why wasnt it included on the disc? Because its EA and they're just trying to make a few more bucks. Well whatever, I'm not buying it.

I feel the definitive edition for dragon age is definatly the PC version. The console versions chug along because they cant handle the graphics and combat on the console versions is archaic compared to the PC point and click function. NOt to mention, the pc has the abilities bar on the bottom of the screen whereas the ps3 I have to select a radial menu to highlight my abilities most of the time and that slows combat down.

Good game with great production values I just feel it was a tad overhyped for its own benefit.

The developers mentioned many times there would not be co-op.  PC versions of games are always the best, and will always be better than console games. I've played Mass Effect and never had a problem with the radial menu. 

true but one thing most PC fanboys don't realize... it's the SAME EXACT GAME.

just because it runs slightly better, is the experience any different? nope.

i have both ps3 version and pc version; pc may look better (graphics) very slightly

but it feels like your playing the exact same game on either platform.

i hate how some gamers are making it seem like PC version is a whole different "beast" compared to the PS3 version.

i've played both and they're the same game.

First things first - I'm not a PC fanboy. I've only played 4 games on the PC and that was years ago.  For a person who wants great graphics, the PC is a different beast and will always have better graphics.  

The Doctor: "Sarah, Jo, Can you hear me?"
Sarah Jane Smith: "The key is almost ready."
The Doctor: "Listen to me, both of you. I want you to remember."
Jo: "We are doing it. That's the trouble."
The Doctor: "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. I want you to remember everything. Every single day with me. Every single second...Because you're memories are more powerful than anything else on this planet. Just think of it Sarah, remember it Jo. But properly. Properly, give the memory weave everything. Every planet, every face, every mad man....every sunset...every terror, every joy. Every Doctor, Every Me."
Message 29 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 16, 2009
I am a PC gamer and I can safely say that is the best platform for this game.   That being said I think the game is similar on the PS.   I don't see really what all the hype over this game really is other than EA is God and has spent millions on marketting and paying PC Gamer Magazine to gush over it.   Looks almost exactly like Never Winter Nights 1 (from 2001 or 2002 I think) with only a slight improvement in graphics.  I just had a scout disarm a bear trap.  He bent over and moved his hands to disarm it.   About 3 or 4 feet from where the trap was.    Sorry, graphic anomolies like this don't cut it in late 2009.  
Message 30 of 50 (318 Views)
0 Likes