Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Re: Dragon Age Overhyped & Overrated

Nov 22, 2009
While I agree with those that have said this game is a lot like Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate...that's one of the things that drew me to it. I've been waiting for something like that to hit a console. Yes, the graphics are not as good as say Fallout 3 (loved that one too heh), but the story is good and it doesn't freeze every 2 minutes like F3 does. The gameplay is great and so it hooked me just like Fallout 3 did. I too was upset by the DLC released on the day of the game's release until I figured out why they did it. Buy a retail copy, and get codes to get that DLC for free...buy a used copy and you will pay for the DLC. Since the company earns exactly nothing from a used game sale (something multiple game companies complain about) this DLC strategy helps to encourage retail sales while still possibly earning something from used game sales. Pretty smart actually and I expect more companies will follow this model...
Photobucket
Message 41 of 50 (785 Views)
Wastelander
762 posts

May 20, 2011

Yup, the first game was best on PC, I played the PS3 version though & still loved every minute, now that I'm re-playing the PC version, I can see it is a lot easier to control, smoother et.

However, BioWare have done a stellar job of fixing many of the issues of a true 'console' RPG with DA2, it just doesn't seem as Epic !? I hope we get more DA on PS3, a game that took the Epicness of DA1 along with the smooth console gameplay of DA2 would be ideal !

Here's a good article about the differences between DA 1 & DA 2:-

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1169579p1.html

Message 42 of 50 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Jul 4, 2011

I have both the PC and the PS3 versions. The game looks better and plays better on the PC, no question. That shouldn't surprise anyone who's familiar with PC gaming.

I don't think the game was overhyped. It's a great game that's given me many hours of enjoyment. I'm currently playing through the game as a warrior, a rogue and a mage - all three on Nightmare difficulty - just to pick up a few more trophies, and I wouldn't be doing that if I didn't enjoy the game. My only criticism has to do with the storyline, not the gameplay or graphics.

*** Spoiler Alert ***

Some of the origin stories aren't as well developed as the others. The human noble, the magi, and the city elf origin stories are all great. The noble dwarf storyline is great, but it's ridiculous that when you return to Orzammar the story line plays out the exact same way as if you were a human. The dalish elf storyline was interesting, but once you joined the Grey Wardens being a dalish elf pretty much became irrelevant. And the dwarf commoner storyline was just bad.

My other major problem was inconsistency with regards to "blood magic." I don't remember the name of the guy who wrote the story, but someone needs to tell him that drinking darkspawn blood *is* blood magic. Personally I saw no difference between turning dwarves into golems and forcing grey warden recruits to go through the joining ritual. So all this sturm und drang about Caridin making golems and Branka sacrificing her house was pretty ridiculous to me. Contradiction much?

*** End Spoiler Alert ***

Message 43 of 50 (785 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Jul 5, 2011

This is an old thread but still relevant I suppose.

Anyway I just started playing Dragon Age Origins this past weekend after owning the game since launch... my backlog is that large.

I'm about 5hrs into the game and currently at Lothering. So far Dragon Age is blowing me away and is much better than I expected. The gameplay is pretty good though I've got a lot to learn. The graphics could be better sure but I don't place huge importance in this area so it's not bothering me. But my favorite aspect of the game so far is the story and dialogue. WOW!

Message 44 of 50 (785 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

I'm about 5hrs into the game and currently at Lothering. So far Dragon Age is blowing me away and is much better than I expected. The gameplay is pretty good though I've got a lot to learn.

Jag_Stilvecchio Trophy Card

If you're 5 hours into the game and already at Lothering, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Message 45 of 50 (785 Views)
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Jul 6, 2011

DA:smileysurprised: is the 5th game Ive played the most hours all-time.  200 hours and I think I can still do 1 more playthrough!  Overhyped? maybe but its Bioware ffs. Overrated NEVER, you want overrated try Uncharted and FF7.

I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 46 of 50 (785 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Aug 1, 2011

I just get tired of being told we make all the decisions and no matter what we do the ending is always forced on us and the same.

"You're not gonna like it...Jaufree doesn't like it...The Countess of Bruma certainly won't like it.."

"I said you're not gonna like it....."
Message 47 of 50 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16353 posts

Aug 1, 2011

one size doens't fit all..

i used to be an RPG gamer.. but now aday... eh.. not sure why but no longer interested in them..

games like Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, etc...    didn't really interest me...

now aday i found myself jumping online and shoot somebody in an online match.. rather than playing by myself on and offline game... i dont' mind if it's 5-15 hours action/adventure game.. but .. RPGs... no longer hold any interest for me....

i don't know.. maybe there will be an rpg that will capture my interest again.. since after all.. i started out as an RPG gamer mainly.. from the PSone to the PS2...   not sure why it's no longer like that with the ps3.. :/

To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
Forum Survival Tips for New Members
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN + The Interview****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 48 of 50 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8631 posts

Aug 3, 2011

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

This is an old thread but still relevant I suppose.

Anyway I just started playing Dragon Age Origins this past weekend after owning the game since launch... my backlog is that large.

I'm about 5hrs into the game and currently at Lothering. So far Dragon Age is blowing me away and is much better than I expected. The gameplay is pretty good though I've got a lot to learn. The graphics could be better sure but I don't place huge importance in this area so it's not bothering me. But my favorite aspect of the game so far is the story and dialogue. WOW!

Jag_Stilvecchio Trophy Card

Stick with DAO.  DA2 will make you hate Bioware for releasing such crap

Message 49 of 50 (785 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Oct 9, 2011

Yea i bought dragon age origins/awakening a while ago... I dont find it that entertaining... Yea I dont know what it was about older rpg games but they ruled...

Message 50 of 50 (785 Views)