Nov 17 2011
By: taker-77 Treasure Hunter 4880 posts

Having Issues with Skyrim? Try taking these steps.

33 replies 41408 views Edited Nov 17, 2011

I am hearing that the PS3 version of Skyrim is have serious playability issues when the save file reaches a certain size. Well, if this is in fact the same issue that Fallout 3 and New Vegas has then there are some things you can try to improve your experience. I can confirm that these steps worked on FO3 and NV, but I cannot test them out on Skyrim, as I am using the PC version. Maybe some people can try them out and post their results.

Tricks of the trade:

1. When loading your game, do not use Continue. Instead, use Load and pick the specific file to load from.

2. Do not continually overwrite the same save file. On occasion save to a brand new slot and then delete the old file.

3. Turn of the Autosave. This will require you to have presence of mind to manually save frequently.

4. Delete your Game Data (NOT SAVED DATA). If you should be get to a point where your game is unplayable, due to lagging and/or freezing, go into your Game Data Utility folder in the XMB, delete the Skyrim Game Data file and then restart the game. Unfortunately this will require you to redownload the patch, but it should seriously help out your game's playability for a while.

5. Save, quit, then load. To fix lagging issues, save your current game, quit to the main menu and then load your game. This often works well.

6. Don't be a hoarder!!! I hate to say this, because it is contrary to my nature, but the more stuff you take from the world and put into a chest, the larger your file will grow. If you can help it, take only what you intent to sell or use.

7. Buy a Gaming PC and play the PC version. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. However, it is true. I have dealt with Bethesda's issues for years on the PS3. Ever since moving on to the PC, I have experienced only minor issues. Es muy bueno.)

I really hope that these steps will help out some people. Skyrim is such an amazing game and I realize what torture these issues can be. Maybe these tricks can hold you over until Bethesda's next patch.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 34 (41,408 Views)
Wastelander
805 posts

Re: Having Issues with Skyrim? Try taking these steps.

Nov 17, 2011

Thank you.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

Nov 19, 2011

6. Don't be a hoarder!!!

I'm guilty of this. I'd say between my two homes I have more than 1000+ objects.

My save file is now an astounding 12mb and growing. It hasn't been too bad... 92 hours played and only one freeze. I do get the frame drops, but not the texture issues. I follow pretty much all those steps. I also quite to the xmb every two hours or so and let the PS3 idle for a bit.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 10, 2011

Thanks for those tips.  I wouldn't have thought about deleting the game data, but I can understand how that might help.  Unfortunately, I think I might wind up skipping steps one through six and jumping right to step seven, which is so, so disappointing.  I'm level 40 right now.  Right around level 20-25-ish, some random fugative with no clothes on ran up to me and gave me a sword that banishes daedra and said if I ratted on him he'd kill me.  Then right after that, some other dude came up to me and asked me if I saw anybody.  I had three options: "No (lie)", "Yeah, he ran that way", or "I guess this sword is yours then?".  I chose the second option, and the guy ran off and killed the fugitive.  I disenchanted the sword and got the Banish spell.  When you enchant a simple iron dagger with it (extremely cheap to buy or make) with even just a petty gem (extremely cheap to buy/easy to find) it turns the dagger into a highly expensive item I can sell for over $1,000 a piece.  Money problems SOLVED for the rest of the game.  This was a random event, cuz with one of my other characters that I only played a few levels on, the same thing happened, but the fugutive only gave me some crappo sword not worth anything.  So, if I have to start all over again on the PC version, not only do I lose all the time I spent into making the most awesome wood elf ever (enchantment skill maxed out to 100, smithing maxed out to 100, Archer Skill maxed out at 100, uber-powerful armor and deadly bows - can kill most things in one to two shots and can withstand dragons breathing fire/ice/whatever on me without needing to heal), but I'll also probably never get that Banish spell as early as I did.  So disappointing   But the game is pretty much unplayable for me now due to serious lag issues and glitches.   Right about level 39 was when I started experiencing lag issues.   Now the game is completely unplayable. Walking through a town, past a bunch of NPCs becomes EXTREMELY choppy and takes forever. Walking around past mountains and trees and the oh so many wolves that attack you is also very slow and choppy.  Also, a new glitch that has started happening ever since level 39: When I go to loot a dead body I've killed, instead of inpecting it for loot, the body will levitate and stay attached to my character.  If I walk forward, left or right, the body will move forward, left or right with me in the air in front of me.  The only way to get it to stop is to slam a body into a wall and it immediately falls to the floor.  Then if I try to loot it again, it'll work correctly the second time.  This also happens with most items I try to pick up or steal off the floor or a shelf -- it'll just float in front of me until I ram it into a wall.  I'm slowly starting to realize that I'm either gonna have to delete files and reload patches every time I play this and hope it has some effect, or just break down and go buy the PC version and start all over again.  So sad   So if you read this and you're thinking about buying Skyrim on PS3 -- Don't.  At least not until Bethesda releases another patch or two and the gaming world universally agrees that the problems are fixed -- which likely won't happen

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 34 (41,408 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 17, 2011

Thanks I'll give this a try.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Dec 18, 2011

still haveing same problems still freezing after 15 mins of playing only a handfull of items in one house in whiterun deleted save files and patch dowloaded 4 times now book cases still not working wtf?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6210 posts

Dec 27, 2011

taker-77 wrote:

3. Turn of the Autosave. This will require you to have presence of mind to manually save frequently.

Photobucket

If anyone does this, make sure you save a lot. It would have been nice to know that when you die, you go back to your previous save point. I played for a couple hours, finished quests and did other things. I died and now I have to do it over...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4818 posts

Dec 30, 2011

Great tips, thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 5, 2012

my skyrim wont let me past the loading trophies screen gets to 77% then freezes.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4880 posts

Jan 5, 2012

Try deleting the Game Data (not saved data). If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to tell you. Freezing while loading trophies seems to me like it may be a PS3 issue and not necessarily the game itself.

Has this happened ever since you got the game or have you been able to play at all?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 34 (41,408 Views)
0 Likes