Aug 17 2012
By: AaronTheTeen Splicer 61 posts

Oblivion GOTY, is it worth it?

15 replies 2579 views Edited Aug 17, 2012

I have Skyrim and it is a great game.  I have platinum trophy already and now I am not finding as many things to do now.  I know that Dawnguard is coming out but it is the same price (unless they reduce it because of all the stuff ps3 users had to go through) as Oblivion GOTY.  Is Oblivion worth playing since I've beaten Skyrim or should I not even bother with it?

Message 1 of 16 (2,579 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Re: Oblivion GOTY, is it worth it?

Aug 17, 2012
Oh yes, certainly.

Although you will find the graphics a bit primitive by Skyrim's standards, Oblivion definitely holds up well. In many ways, I still consider Oblivion to be a superior game when compared to Skyrim. Sure, there is no dual wielding, no skill perks (not directly anyway) and no Shouts or Dragons, but Oblivion has spell making, better skills in general (such as Acrobatics) and it has a Chameleon spell which is essential for any stealth based character.

Plus the environment is much better in Oblivion. You can go from the jungles to snowy mountains, from great forests to rolling hill. Add to that, the strange world which is the Shivering Isles DLC an you've got plenty off things to see.

In my experience, the GOTY edition is fairly problem free, especially when compared to Skyrim. You may notice a small dialogue glitch or clipping issue, but nothing like what I've heard about Skyrim on the PS3.

I will warn you of one thing though. The PS3 GOTY edition does have the infamous Vampire glitch. Should you choose to become a vampire, you will find yourself unable to ever turn back. There is a questline to cure your vampirism, which you will be unable to complete. Just be forewarned. Still, that is a minor issue really as being a vampire isn't much of a problem.
Message 2 of 16 (2,577 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

Aug 17, 2012

Hell yes you should. I love both games and its hard to chose which is my favorite. It is different keep in mind but overall there are a huge amount of similarities. I liked the faction and main quests (excluding the theives guild) way better in oblivion. Ive played through it many times. Shadowmere is indestructable. If you liked skyrim which by the platinum I assume you did I can say with 98% certainty you will love Oblivion.

Message 3 of 16 (2,573 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Aug 17, 2012

I got it for pc and it is so much easier. I beat the game in about an hour or 2, with lots of play in between quests.

Message 4 of 16 (2,570 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Aug 17, 2012
Alright thanks guys. I will probably be getting Oblivion soon.
Message 5 of 16 (2,568 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

Aug 19, 2012

Well yeah.... with the pc there are so many game commands. I can get level 83 with every weapon and armour in the game in about 50 min. Thats not to say it isnt fun. One day Ill buy a Elder scrolls for the PC. I would like to buy a PC just for gaming first though. All the mods and console comands are fun (my ex stepsister had it and I played once). It just feels more rewarding to me to beat it on a system with no exploits/console commands/ and cheat.

Message 6 of 16 (2,561 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
13757 posts

Aug 28, 2012

yes its worth buying. get the steelbook version if you can find it.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Message 7 of 16 (2,542 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4583 posts

Aug 29, 2012

Yep totally worth it, I've played through the game tons of times and I love it. (I actually enjoy it more than Skyrim, even when Skyrim would actually work for me lol)

18V Sig
Message 8 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Sep 10, 2012

Easily worth it.  I still play Oblivion to this day and love every minute of it.  I've got several save files with hunreds of hours of game time on EACH file.  Still a blast.

Seta Soujiro
Message 9 of 16 (2,504 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

Sep 10, 2012

Oblivion is an excellent game in all regards. Easily worth $20. The only thing is, don't expect to platinum it like you did Skyrim, the game has no trophies because it came out before they existed on PS3.

Message 10 of 16 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes