Dec 30 2011
By: Alexxand3rS First Son 3 posts

Skyrim PS3 Freeze Fix!

74 replies 85746 views Edited Dec 30, 2011

Okay, Skyrim freezes on PS3. It's inevitable. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will later.

I used to think my game was fine, until around level 27 and a save file of just over 6mb I started getting freezes and lockups constantly.

Bethesda recommends to turn off all autosave options and delete your previous saves. However, playing without autosave is extremely not fun.

The other day I remembered that MW2 had also been freezing my PS3 a year back, and I recall that what I did to fix it was delete every message in my PS3 inbox and outbox.

So, I did that. And guess what? It worked.

My Skyrim's been running clean as a whistle ever since I deleted every message in my inbox and outbox. I believe that having many messages will slow down the XMB quite a bit, and that could definitely lead to freezes in any game.

I dunno, maybe it wasn't Skyrim's fault after all. My PS3 froze with MW2 too, and the same fix has seemingly helped both games.

However, I can't really speak for everyone. Try this out and tell me if it worked for you.

Delete every message in your PS3's mailbox. This can be easily done by pressing Triangle while hovering over the Inbox or Outbox. I'm not sure if it matters if it's every message for every user, or just the current user, but it's something to keep in mind.

Also, I went ahead and turned all the autosave features back on, as well as saving on character menu every 5 minutes like I had it before.

I also did not heed Bethesda's advice and delete every save that wasn't recent, but I did go through and delete all corrupt data in the Skyrim saves folder.

But I think the major kicker is deleting all the messages in the mailbox. Try it out, and tell me if it worked.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 75 (85,746 Views)
Wastelander
803 posts

Re: Skyrim PS3 Freeze Fix!

Dec 30, 2011

...Huh...

That this would work seems unlikely, but your testimony has sparked my curiosity.  I suppose I'll delete all my messages, since having all those archived messages serves no purpose. 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4873 posts

Dec 30, 2011

How funny would it be if that was the problem all along?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 30, 2011

Mylo_Cordana wrote:

...Huh...

That this would work seems unlikely, but your testimony has sparked my curiosity.  I suppose I'll delete all my messages, since having all those archived messages serves no purpose. 

Photobucket

I think it all has to do with the messages slowing down the XMB, which in turn causes the PS3 to run out of resources. Just my guess, but it's worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1213 posts

Dec 31, 2011

Odd fix. Hopefully someone who tests this will confirm it. I wouldn't think the messages took that much space to affect a game like that.

PhotobucketBF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2308 posts

Dec 31, 2011

thats funny.   i always have my inbox cleared. i maybe have 10 in there at the most, and if i see it, i delete everything. and i havent had a problem with skyrim.  one freeze and a time or two where it lagged a bit, but nothing as bad as ive read on the forum.

some_text
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8920 posts

Dec 31, 2011

I delete any and all old auto saves before starting the game.
I keep Auto save feature on.

Keep the messages in my Box cleared and play offline.

I'm up to 11MB and I rarely freeze.

Framerate might drop after long hours of gaming, but when that happens, I just save, quit game and restart. Solves that problem every time.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 75 (85,746 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Jan 3, 2012

I deleted all my messages in and out. I deleted over 9000 megabites of non-used data and updates. and I un and re installed the latest game update. I think this is just a fatal flaw in some of the game designs. Which either is trigged by unlucky people getting it or because of unlucky scenarioes. In general I can say it did not work for me. And that the company that designed this game must be very shotty to publish a game with such a and so many fatal flaws. I mean really...?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 3, 2012

wow i wish it were this easy, but i have no messages.

...its all memory dump issues...they need to fix the holes in their codes, 'simple as that'. and i do mean simple as you can run a program that will look for the holes...

sad thing is is that they knew about these issues from Oblivion and other games, so WHY didn't they fix it before releasing skyrim?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 3, 2012

I'm pretty sure I don't have messages, either, but I will check.  I will also delete all old save files, as I'm sure there is some corrupt data in there somewhere.  MY freeze-up problems started appearing as my primary character was in the high 30s.  Now that he is in the mid 40s, the freeze-ups happen every few minutes.  When the game freezes during a load screen, I can usually wait it out (never timed it, though).  When it happens in-game, fuggedaboudit.  Assuming it was a 'playing time/save file size' issue, I created a new character for the sole purpose of playing the main story.  No go.  It started randomly freezing up shortly after attaining level 10.  I got so frustrated that I set the game aside and dug out my copy of Dragon Age 2 though after playing Skyrim, Dragon Age just feels restrictive.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 75 (85,746 Views)
0 Likes