Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 11 2011
By: BigDally13 Uncharted Territory 1798 posts

The Official "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" Information and Updates Thread

95 replies 908 views Edited Nov 11, 2011

The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5204/5252798165_2a22acbf70_o.jpg

It's finally here! Woohoo! Thanks again, everyone!

Platforms: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Developer: Bethesda Game Studios (The Elder Scrolls and Fallout Series)

The fifth official installment of the Elder Scrolls series will take place approximately 200 years after the events that occurred in TES IV: Oblivion, but is NOT a direct sequel in any fashion.

The king of Skyrim has been murdered. Civil war amongst the native race (Nords) has begun and is the last of the many prophecies foretold in the Elder Scrolls. The dragon god Alduin has awoken and has set a path of destruction throughout Tamriel. The player assumes the role of the last of the Dragonborn (the ancient line who was brought about by the Gods to answer this call, to defeat Alduin), known in the game as the "Dovahkiin". Throughout the game the player will be aided by the last heir of The Blades (Esbern), the ancient defenders of the Dragonborn. It is up to the Dragonborn to save the world of Tamriel and begin a new era.

Skyrim lies along the northern expanses of Tamriel, bordering Cyrodiil, High Rock, Hammerfell, and Morrowwind:

http://images.wikia.com/oblivion/images/d/d6/Tamriel.png

Speculation around the internet has already arisen about including areas such as High Rock and Hammerfell, possibly in later expansion packs. The general consensus for these speculations is the increase in capabilities and experience with the platforms now compared with Oblivion (ported in 2007). The other popular reason is that unless the overall scale of the game changes from Oblivion, Skyrim, obviously, is much smaller in land size than Cyrodiil.

Skyrim is known to be very mountainous with many forests. It has been stated that we will in fact be able to trek through the mountains during the game. One part of the game has the player making a 7,000 step climb up a mountain to an ancient crevice known as "The Throat of the World".

New and announced features:

- New engine. This will allow developers to use more textures and shadows to give a much more realistic feel than previous games. For example: trees will now blow in the wind and snow will seem as if it is naturally falling all around you.

-You will be able to sprint now. Sprinting will use up valuable stamina, however.

-18 skills compared to 21 in Oblivion.

-With every level up, new "perks" will be available.

-More natural feel to NPCs and discussions. They will move about naturally instead of the world freezing around you and them standing still as a statue.

-There will be 5 major cities to visit and all will be larger with much more to do than in Oblivion. Activities will include: farming, smithing, cooking, etc.

-Much improved 3rd person view from Oblivion.

-Dual wielding is now available. If you wish to carry a sword and shield, so be it. Axe and spell casting out of the other hand? Sure. Two axes? Two swords? Of course!

-The overall feel for combat will flow smoother and be more natural feeling than in Oblivion.

-New wildlife and enemies include: Sabre Toothed Cats, Mammoths, Werewolves, Dragons, and Yetis, etc.

-A wider array of weapons and armor will also be available compared to Oblivion.

-The Dark Brotherhood makes it's return

-Three words for every "Dragon Shout" (ability/skill only available to player) are to be collected. Some 60 words are currently rumored, making that 20 total "shouts".

-Menu system will be inspired by Apple and their products' menu. This will correlate to a cleaner and quicker menu system that is highly efficient compared to Oblivion's.

-"Each skill has it's own perk tree..." says Todd Howard.  Example: Take "one-handed skill" and you can perk axes, swords, daggers, maces, etc. under that one skill. It branches out.

-Essentially this game will have a darker and more realistic feel to the player than the previous "Renaissance inspired" Oblivion, where it was fairly light hearted in some aspects and the environments were rather colorful.

-There will be an unlimited amount of dragons.

-The dragon's behaviors will be completely random. Some may be extremely hostile to the player and surrounding environments, while others may bypass you. The dragon's behaviors will be randomized by the Radiant AI system.

-Two types of dragons have been confirmed: ice and fire.

-There will be a small minority of NPCs that will also be able to use "Dragon Shouts" along with the player.

-Each city or town has their own economy. If you destroy and pillage a town, it will affect prices all over Skyrim.

-Horses are returning... but displayed more realistically and with overall better movement and function!

-All gameplay is at least over 300 hours long. As stated in the video below, Todd Howard mentions that they quit keeping track because there was so much.

Check through the pages for the latest updates and links.

Official Trailer:  http://www.elderscrolls.com/skyrim/media/videos/official-trailer-4/

E3 2011 video narrated by Todd Howard (originally posted by "Spores_"):

Screenshots, further information, videos, and the sites that helped me prepare this:

http://www.gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83423/elder-scrolls-skyrim-details-and-screenshots/

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Skyrim

http://www.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143498p1.html

http://www.gamerant.com/elder-scrolls-skyrim-behind-the-scenes-videos-dyce-61501

(7/6/11): New "Fan Interview" featuring Todd Howard, Bruce Nesmith, and Matt Carofano:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F1207390-skyrim-fan-interview%2F

------

Please post or send me a message regarding any questions, mistakes, or further updates. Thank you!

I will update occasionally, please post any information that you want and I will decide to add it or not. Thanks to everyone for their patience and updates.

Message 83 of 96 (908 Views)
Sackboy
631 posts

Re: The Official "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" Information and Updates Thread

Jan 19, 2011

Thanks for getting this started up.

If you havent already I'd suggest going here and checking out some of the Gameinformer info. They have some pretty interesting articles.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/esv.aspx

Get your Portable ID!
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Message 1 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4583 posts

Jan 19, 2011

good to see this started up, it makes me even more excited. But with everything in the game, I doubt we could put it all in 1 post lol not that its a bad thing

18V Sig
Message 2 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Jan 20, 2011

Thanks for the replies thus far, and yes this game has so much to offer that it is going to be difficult to put it all in one post.

Larr37, I will definitely check that out. I just got home from Gamestop, I bought Oblivion again because all of this Skyrim news has my Elder Scrolls nerves going again. I bought the gameinformer mag with it as well for $6, LOTS of info. in it that I will post later.

Speaking of, I can't update the post because this new PS forum stuff doesn't allow me to. Apparently they are working on finding a solution to this problem. So, until then, I will have to update via these posts.

Message 3 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
631 posts

Jan 20, 2011

Thats no good, I'll be lookin forward to anything extra you find in that mag. That is, if the internet sites across the web haven't alread revealed every scrap of info possible.

Get your Portable ID!
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Message 4 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Jan 20, 2011

It's no good at all. There are a total of 7 full pages (front and back) of information (pictures and paragraphs) over Skyrim. Most has been put on the internet, the only revealing thing that the mag gives you are close ups of all the pictures.

A couple of the enemies that I haven't seen posted yet are mountain giants and mammoths, going to be pretty cool.

Also we can define the build of our character in Skyrim. Some of the screenshots make it look like the player is on steroids.

Judging by the scans in the mag, the graphics look comparably better than Oblivion but nothing spectacular. I think though that this is probably the PC version and it hasn't been spruced up yet, they showed a tech demo to GI, that was all.

Message 5 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1213 posts

Jan 23, 2011

The character they had in Game Informer was probably a Nord build. Considering Skyrim is the home of the Nords. I thougt it was funny they were talking about how "You can customize 10 different races!!" There has always been 10 races in the Elder Scrolls.

PhotobucketBF3 Stats
Message 6 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Some more details:

"There is no level cap. You will nevertheless not be able to choose all perks with one character."

"Technically speaking, Skyrim is an evolution within The Elder Scrolls, and not a revolution (but everything looks fabulous). The magic of the world that Bethesda has created is nevertheless unequivocally present."

"All weapons have different properties, which you can take advantage of by choosing the right perks. Maces ignore a percentage of armor, and axes have bleed damage over time."

"You can use fast travel to revisit places you have visited earlier."

"Skyrim is approximately as big as Oblivion."

"Five big cities and more than 130 dungeons."

"Low-Fantasy"

"The overarching narrative of the Dragons is less prominent than the Oblivion Gates were in Oblivion, which does not give you the feeling that you are doing 'useless' quests when you lay aside the Main Quest."

"Dragons are not rare."

"Dungeons will be locked at their level once you have been there."

"Even in third person, animations look really good. There has been a lot of progress since Oblivion."

"You can read in-game books in 3-D."

"Every item has a 3D-preview in the Flash based inventory, which you can twist, turn, rotate, etc. Sometimes you will solve puzzles by analyzing these 3D-previews. Not only armor and weapons can be explored in great detail, also small rings and herbs can be investigated from all possible angles. Every single item in the game can be previewed in the inventory screen."

"The Dark Brotherhood is back."

"Active blocking makes melee more fun to play."

"More traps and puzzles."

"Main Story is approximately 20 hours. Hundreds of hours for other quests."

"Every dragon you kill will make you stronger. A piece of his soul will be transferred to yours."

There's also an interview with Todd Howard in the article. These are the highlights of that interview:

"There are special animations for sneak kills with daggers." (The way it is written in Dutch does not imply that there are no special animations for other weapons btw...)

"We primarily look at how we can improve facial expressions and animations, graphics-wise."

"The game won't support Kinect. It takes too much memory."

"We are working at pop-up issues, and we want to make sure that the graphics of the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 are alike. All three will look just as good, aside from the higher resolution and the anti-aliasing of the PC of course."

"It is not yet possible to combine forms of magic. It is difficult. Frost magic makes an enemy move slower, and fire does damage over time, and the fire remains on the ground for additional damage. If we would allow the player to use fire magic in one hand, and frost magic in the other, it becomes much more complex. Maybe we will implement this though, but for the time being, 'No'.

"Someone modded Oblivion by changing the physics of shooting an arrow. It made you shoot slower and you almost had to remain stationary to shoot, which increased the arrow's impact. We liked this mod so much, that we implemented it in Skyrim by default."

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 7 of 96 (908 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1289 posts

Jan 26, 2011

The Dark Brotherhood is back

<3

3D preveiw sounds cool

Message 8 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3671 posts

Jan 27, 2011

I can't wait for this.  I'm crossing my fingers that this better 3rd person view is indeed better, and I can't wait for the sneak animations, and yes, the DARK BROTHERHOOD!!!!!

OH and the new physics and effects of magic such as fire (inflict damage over time) and ice (slow person) is very awesome and much needed!  Much more realistic... if that is politically correct to say.  lmfao!

PhotobucketPhotobucket
~ Long Live the Underground ~ PSU: Eric1018 ~
Message 9 of 96 (908 Views)
0 Likes