Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 24 2013
By: samuraix98 Lombax Warrior 194 posts

Where do you hang your sword at night?

10 replies 287 views Edited Feb 24, 2013

After playing about 115 hours in Skyrim I've finally began the actual main quests. Which got me thinking about how I've spent around 80% of my adventure among three different holds and one in particular. I post this here to find out where other players tend to keep their stash, which holds or places do you call home, your personal sanctuary? Besides the available places to purchase as housing and outfit with lavish goods, I wanted to know where people tend to lay claim, maybe something off the beaten path?

I keep my stash and all my goodies in Whiterun. Like I said I've played a little over a hundred hours now and only now am I beginning to dive in the story of the Stormcloaks and the Imperial war. I've just been busy collecting loot, knocking out assassination contracts and stealing some fine items here and there. Having mastered the Thief and Assassins guilds I've acquired two locations which you're able to call your home. Amongst the actual houses up for grabs I've purchased 4 (Whiterun, Riften, Markarth, Solitude) and outfitted two (Whiterun, Riften) to their fullest potential. Yet I only truly use the one. 

I'd say I love the Whiterun hold most of all. The smith is close and there are many merchants to sell stash to, all with plenty of gold. There's also a thief willing to pawn stolen goods whose packing in gold if you're ever trying to fend something pricey. The only quirk I have is that the enchantment table is far, just too far from house. Whiterun was the first place that your adventure begins to blossom and has always felt as a safe haven of sorts. It's also the only neutral territory in Skyrim so that may have tipped the scales in its favor. When beginning the actual story quests I started realizing that "WOW, I've played this long and have yet to actually do anything in 4 of the other holds." I've done some stuff but never talked to the Jarl's at Dawnstar and Morthal and have yet to even step in to Falkreath, or Winterhold. Something tells me that I've got many many more hours of gameplay ahead of me, which is something I love about Elder Scrolls games. Being able to venture in to the unknown and get lost doing your own thing before even contemplating touching a main quest.

PS. I have yet to purchase the DLC and am contemplating on getting all three, though that then begins to bring in a whole new set of housing questions which I'd then have to tackle.

I'm interested to know which hold or location you all call home?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (287 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14956 posts

Re: Where do you hang your sword at night?

Feb 24, 2013

Skyrim is the king of distractions, that is unquestionable! haha. I was primarily using breezehome as well. Everything is so close, and I really only enchanted things on one go way late into my playing (100 enchanting to make godly smithing gear) so that wasnt a huge factor for me. But having bought the hearthfire DLC I now have all my meaningful stuff in the Falkreath player-built house. I believe its called 'lakeview manner'.

One question. I have platinumed the game and would like to know where this thief is in whiterun. I wasnt aware of a fence there...that would have saved me some travel time. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Feb 24, 2013
The fence in or actually near Whiterun is at the Honningbrew Meadery. All the Khajiit Caravans also carry 4000 gold if you run across those. If you've got full Thief guild influence every fence acros all the skyrim holds has 4000 gold on them. It works wonderful when I hit up three or four in one trip to really sell gear and make gold quick.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 24, 2013

I also keep most my loot in Breezehome. Im kind of a hoarder.... I have a bad habbit of picking up everything whether I need it or not. But I do have homes in Winterhold and Windhelm. As far as selling loot, I recently discovered the Investor perk for speech skill. You can pay a trader 500 coins and it increases they're permanent amount of gold. It didn't do much for most traders but somehow it increased the trader in Riverwood so he always has over 11,000 coins. So thats where I do all my selling.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Feb 25, 2013
I wish I'd have read more carefully or not jumped ahead in perk selection. I've got a solid character but do wish the ability to re-spec. Sometimes wish it was as easy in skyrim as it is in Borderlands 2. Pay some gold get a new character. The idea of playing with a new style would require me to start anew, which isn't that bad but still.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 25, 2013

With the Dragonborn DLC you have to collect black books. After you complete each quest for each book they give you a special ability. And one of the abilities lets you alter your perks. I moved a few around on ones I dont really use. I think you have to sacrifice a dragon soul but still its worth it.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Mar 5, 2013

I use a bow and arrow and staffs. I kept all the fancy swords I found and just hung them in my houses scattered across Skyrim

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
805 posts

Mar 6, 2013

Each of my characters used to own only one home, and that just changed with the advent of the DLC.  Before purchasing a house, I looked up an online list of homes and set to save up my money for the most expensive one, Proudspire Manor in Solitude.  Two of my characters own that home only, and store all their junk there.  One of my characters is a Stormcloak and makes his home in Windhelm.

Since the DLCs, one of my characters has been working on building a home in Falkreath, Lakeview Manor.  However, I began playing the Dragonborn DLC and found that the player can obtain a wonderful home on the island of Solsteim.  The house there has an alchemy table, enchanting table, and a workstation complete with a smelter, forge, work table, and grindstone all practically next to one another.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Mar 8, 2013
My main character bought all 5 homes, own the house in Ravenrock and built 3 homes on the 3 plots. I have my wife and kids living in Windstad Manor, so that is my main home but I still have a ton of stuff in Whiterun and Solitude.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14956 posts

Mar 8, 2013

Do your textures seem to drop out a lot?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (138 Views)
0 Likes