Aug 30 2009
By: Jag_Stilvecchio PlayStation MVP 8173 posts

ES - Ending Discussion **Spoiler Warning**

6 replies 581 views Edited Aug 30, 2009

So I finished the main story of Eternal Sonata last night...

I guess that having played RPGs for a long time I'm used to strange endings but ES set the bar to a new high. I'm scratching my head and not sure what to make of the ending. So after defeating Waltz and the Dragon, Waltz orders the dragon destroy the world. But being that the world is just Chopin's dream can it really be destroyed? Then when the group goes to the ruins of the Tenuto Flower Field & Frederic flips out & ultimately fight him the world is proven not to be Chopin's dream?

Then to either revive Frederic or to restore the world Polka throws herself off a cliff... though thru her flashbacks it makes it clear that she's done that before. So it seems the dream repeats over and over - but is it a dream or not?

LOL

I'm seriously confused. All in all I really enjoyed the game. The combat was a bit repetitive but still remained fun & challenging because of the party level system. The graphics are some of the best I've seen for this type of game. Even though from the beginning I found the story to be a bit strange I was digging it right up to the end. But wow! The ending is 45 min. of some really nonsensical JRPG storytelling. 

What do you guys think? Can anyone properly explain the ending to me? 

Message 1 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Re: ES - Ending Discussion **Spoiler Warning**

Aug 31, 2009

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

So I finished the main story of Eternal Sonata last night...

I guess that having played RPGs for a long time I'm used to strange endings but ES set the bar to a new high. I'm scratching my head and not sure what to make of the ending. So after defeating Waltz and the Dragon, Waltz orders the dragon destroy the world. But being that the world is just Chopin's dream can it really be destroyed? Then when the group goes to the ruins of the Tenuto Flower Field & Frederic flips out & ultimately fight him the world is proven not to be Chopin's dream?

Then to either revive Frederic or to restore the world Polka throws herself off a cliff... though thru her flashbacks it makes it clear that she's done that before. So it seems the dream repeats over and over - but is it a dream or not?

LOL

I'm seriously confused. All in all I really enjoyed the game. The combat was a bit repetitive but still remained fun & challenging because of the party level system. The graphics are some of the best I've seen for this type of game. Even though from the beginning I found the story to be a bit strange I was digging it right up to the end. But wow! The ending is 45 min. of some really nonsensical JRPG storytelling. 

What do you guys think? Can anyone properly explain the ending to me? 

You nailed it, however remember the old woman by the Cello Tree? She said something to the effect of.. "Oh.. I didn't expect to see you here."

So it is the repeat of history that makes Polka gen and regen, until the time when her true Astra match enters the world..*Retto* and Chopin is just a witness to the repetition of Evil/Good cycle ending and is thus rewared in his: now choosen afterlife to enjoy the companionship of his new reality, being healed (time release capsule..lol) with Polka's magic before her plunge.  Probably a tribute to the Composer/Pianist who suffered and witness tribulation in his lifetime yet prevailed to bring a wealth of beauty from his talents to his era, and beyond.

I choose this summation

Message 2 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 10, 2009

The ending is really one of those that is "open to interpretation", the more you think about it, the less it makes sense. I think it's important to remember that the world Polka lives in is Chopin's dream(a dream or not a dream, that is the question) and much like in real dreams, not everything makes sense.

Message 3 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
406 posts

Oct 2, 2009
As far as endings go, I wanted to ask myself this question. When I watched the staff where the voice cast are shown, the character's voiced speech and appearance were all replaced with still photographs from the journey of the game with the characters itself. How did I get that to happen? Anyone know?
Trophies are banned from viewing from the US site of playstation.com
Message 4 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1337 posts

Nov 15, 2009
The ending I got was Pokka was revived and lived with Rito. I believe that's the one I got; sounds different to all of yours.
David Tran
Bits & Pieces
Message 5 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
406 posts

Nov 15, 2009

No one can hear me.

Message Edited by EdelweiszOmega on 11-15-2009 12:44 AM
Trophies are banned from viewing from the US site of playstation.com
Message 6 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
963 posts

Dec 27, 2009
from what i understand, Polka believed Frederic in thinking the ES world is his dream. and she didn't want him to stay in the ES world/his dream because it means he will die in real life. so she tried to kill herself=killing chopin's dream world and it would make him wake up. but chopin was already very emotionally attached to the ES world and CHOSE it over his real life, and thus reviving Polka. and he died in real life.
Playing: Demon's Souls, FF13, Fat Princess

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 7 (581 Views)
0 Likes