Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Re: Early adopter of SONY tech, now they shut down the servers on us.

Jul 3, 2010

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I haven't seen any of those boosters around for a good long while and if a game hasn't really generated some sort or even a little bit of Main Stream value then it's probably best if Sony use those resources to fund something that might generate some sort of more interest.

Who knows, with the release of this PSP Eye of Judgement game it could be a sign that Sony might invest into releasing a new version of EOJ to accommodate the Move and 3D gaming. Not all is lost.

HA! That's so funny, I forgot to laugh-excluding the first 'Ha'
Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jul 3, 2010

I don't know anything about Eye of Judgement, but if, for example, they were to pull the plug on the little big planet servers, I would be supremely pissed off.  It's similar in that I've spent quite a bit on dlc for it (I have almost everything released for it, though it's nowhere near the hundreds that the TC claims can be spent on cards for EoJ).  Also, once the servers are unplugged, the game will become essentially useless (what's the point of create without share?)  In general, I avoid the mostly online games for this reason (and because I don't think much of the online gaming community--there's plenty of cool people out there, but they seem to be vastly outnumbered by all the idiots/kids/jerks), but somehow I got way into lbp.  So yeah, I can sympathize with the TC, and I agree that 3 years isn't an especially long time for the servers to be up for a game that one can potentially spend hundreds on.... though I have to say that I'm surprised anybody would spend that much.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 39 (693 Views)
VP of Gaming
30031 posts

Jul 3, 2010
Moved to Eye of Judgment
Fastest Grandma In GT
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Well said

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Sehven wrote:

I don't know anything about Eye of Judgement, but if, for example, they were to pull the plug on the little big planet servers, I would be supremely pissed off.  It's similar in that I've spent quite a bit on dlc for it (I have almost everything released for it, though it's nowhere near the hundreds that the TC claims can be spent on cards for EoJ).  Also, once the servers are unplugged, the game will become essentially useless (what's the point of create without share?)  In general, I avoid the mostly online games for this reason (and because I don't think much of the online gaming community--there's plenty of cool people out there, but they seem to be vastly outnumbered by all the idiots/kids/jerks), but somehow I got way into lbp.  So yeah, I can sympathize with the TC, and I agree that 3 years isn't an especially long time for the servers to be up for a game that one can potentially spend hundreds on.... though I have to say that I'm surprised anybody would spend that much.

Actually, outside of MMO games (which charge a monthly fee), 3 years is a VERY long time for games. Honestly, I can't even think of another game that was supported for that long on the PS3. If there is others, I'm sure it's in the single digits.

You can expect LBP's servers to go down about 6 months into LBP2's life. However, it has already been announced that LBP2 will be backwards compatible with LBP, which is also a rarity in gaming. 

Honestly, you guys just need to face the fact that online features have high maintenance costs for the companies that brought them to you. If only a tiny percentage of the people remain, the consumer enjoys it less and the publisher starts paying for nothing. That's when support drops. 

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 9, 2010

Perhaps if Sony had some kind of paid online service, they could use the revenue from that online service to help pay for servers for old games...............

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 39 (693 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1254 posts

Re: Early adopter of Sony tech, now they are shutting down the servers on us.

Jul 11, 2010

It saddens me to hear this news since I had recently bought the Eye of Judgment bundle pack and now Sony is terminating EoJ’s servers. Although, it’s fair enough that Sony has the right to pull online access for a video game provided they give 30 days notice and being within the terms of service in regards to most online community based services, but what about the advertising on the package which states multiplayer as a feature. Could there be legal implications because of that and this can also result in tarnishing Sony’s reputation as a well known company. Also, it is disappointing that consumer’s money was being wasted by the plug being pulled on support for a product down the road especially with online supported games that reality has always existed.

It would have been an obvious choice to show this series some support by commissioning more printing of trading card sets or expansion add-ons but that probably never happen knowing that Sony has also failed to provide support for the EyeToy® USB camera in the past for the PlayStation 2 as well. Anyway, in Eye of Judgment’s case its very unfortunate that the game never took off enough to warrant a sequel or the creation of similar card based games because it was probably too expensive for Sony to keep the servers up for a very limited audience that they might even be able to justify by illustrating some poor usage statistics, sales figures, or piracy since there’s a way to download, print and cover a hard plastic card that works just fine with the PlayStation® Eye camera. In the meantime, I guess I’ll try to enjoy my battle mat with my EoJ card collection and PS Eye camera stand in order to give Eye of Judgment an honorable sendoff.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes
Lem
Sackboy
530 posts

Aug 26, 2010

stargiss wrote:

Cepheis wrote:

stargiss wrote:
they're not going to just keep servers running forever on a game that no one plays. The simple truth is that any online game you buy could be terminated at their discretion.

Sorry for your luck but that's just the way it goes.

Who plays Eye Of Judgement anyway? You must have been the only one on the servers...LOL

Thank you for contributing nothing new to this conversation.  I am well aware of how business works.  I listed my reasons for this thread above.  Please people, if you don't care about this type of thing... just move on to a new thread.  Thanks.

By the way, this game must have done pretty good if they just released" Eye of Judgment: Legends" for PSP.  Also here is a couple of websites with active communities (like I said earlier)  who all play online.  http://www.eojmanager.com/  www.lbshooters.com

I highlighted my contribution to the thread because it seems you missed it the first time around.

If you're well aware of how business works then why did you even bother writing this thread? The rest of us who understand how business works completely understand why they're shutting it down. And I seriously doubt the termination of this game will be the deciding factor for many of us when it comes to future PS3 games or accessories.

Sorry I touch your soft spot but I was just trying to make light of the fact that someone is so upset over a game that I really didn't think anyone at all played. Like I said, I wasn't even able to trade it or sell it because absolutely no one online or at the game store had any interest in buying it.

Don't be too sure that terminating this game won't have a negative affect on the future of games or accessories.  I will be reluctant to buy games based on new tech in the future.  The lesson learned from Sony's treatment of the Eye of Judgment is a major factor for me.  There are already people who won't buy new tech when it first comes out.  This move will reinforce their position and give them new ammunition when they want to argue against being an early adopter.  Truly, this is a good example of why not to be an early adopter.

People who never played the game online sound really foolish talking about the popularity of the game.  If you never went online to play you don't know how popular it was.  Any statements you make about the popularity of this game is a guess at best.  When you comment it is obvious you don't know what you speak of. 

If you knew anything about the history of this game you would also know that Sony didn't support The Eye of Judgment well in North America.  It's a shame that it ended because of a lack of support.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
431 posts

Sep 29, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

With the launch of the Playstation Move Controller coming soon, now is the time to expand the Playstation Eye games not shut them down!

If you want to help save the Eye of Judgment servers, please email SONY or go to http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ and vote for SONY to keep the servers active.

Or if you really want to help, please write to SONY at the following address.  Thanks!

SCEA
Attn: Correspondent
PO BOX 5888
San Mateo, CA 94402-0888

writing the full zip code is essential to get delivered

I definitely agree that it is disappointing that Eye of Judgement could not be tied more or be given an extra sales promotion due to the additional cameras in people's homes due to Playstation Move.

Friend of all consoles including the 360, especially the Xbox 360 actually. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 39 (693 Views)
0 Likes