Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 02 2010
By: Cepheis Sackboy 523 posts

Early adopter of SONY tech, now they shut down the servers on us.

38 replies 586 views Edited Jul 2, 2010

I represent the early adopter of Sony's technology.

I buy the PS3 the day it comes out, and the Playstation Eye Camera and "The Eye of Judgment" game the day it comes out. I was going to buy multiple MOVE controllers, games, etc and was even looking in to getting a 3D TV soon. I was just about to buy a PSN+ subscription today, when I heard the news that the Eye of Judgment servers were shutting down.

Wether you play Eye of Judgment or not, YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT SONY DOING THIS TO YOU!

The Eye of Judgment is a game that the players spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on cards and the PSEYE camera puts them in to the card game on PS3.

NOW I'M NOT SO SURE I SHOULD SPEND HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS ON THE MOVE CONTROLLER OR THOUSANDS ON 3D JUST TO HAVE SONY NOT SUPPORT IT IN A COUPLE YEARS! 

With the launch of the Playstation Move Controller coming soon, now is the time to expand the Playstation Eye games not shut them down!

If you want to help save the Eye of Judgment servers, please email SONY or go to http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ and vote for SONY to keep the servers active.

Or if you really want to help, please write to SONY at the following address.  Thanks!

SCEA
Attn: Correspondent
PO BOX 5888
San Mateo, CA 94402-0888

writing the full zip code is essential to get delivered
?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 39 (586 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10061 posts

Re: Early adopter of SONY tech, now they shut down the servers on us.

Jul 2, 2010

regardless of whether or not they put in the EULA that they can pull the plug on the onlinefor any game (which they do btw) and putting the EULA aside.

realistically tho, did you really expect to be able to play games online forever? 

There is at some point with every game that it just doesnt become practical anymore to keep support going for it.

And with Move/3d, yes there is the possibility of them pulling the plug on that as well (as with any product you buy).  it just depends on when it becomes impractical to continue support for it. 

is it likely to happen soon after they start selling it? probably not, but a possibility none the less.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 39 (586 Views)
Sackboy
523 posts

Jul 2, 2010

No, I don't realistically think that I should get to play online forever.  I do think; however, that now is not the right time to shut it down.

These factors are why I don't think they should shut them down any time soon.

1. This games costs hundreds of dollars for extra cards, camera, etc not the $60 and your done.
  2. The game has been out less than 3 years
  3. There are always people online playing.  I can always find a match.  There are tons of community websites with tournaments and support.
  4. SONY markets the PS3 as having a 10 year lifecycle.  They are also trying to sell the Playstation Eye Tech with new controllers and games, but at the same time is convincing us early adopters that we should second guess the life of these technologies.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 39 (586 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 2, 2010
they're not going to just keep servers running forever on a game that no one plays. The simple truth is that any online game you buy could be terminated at their discretion.

Sorry for your luck but that's just the way it goes.

Who plays Eye Of Judgement anyway? You must have been the only one on the servers...LOL
stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 39 (586 Views)
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 2, 2010
Check out Demon Souls...the EULA says they only have to keep the servers up for six months after it's release date.

You should be happy you got 3 years out of that game. I personally bought it just because it was clearanced with the Eye for only $15. It was the cheapest way to get the Eye and I threw the cards and game in the trash because I couldn't sell or trade them for lack of interest.
stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 39 (586 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
523 posts

Jul 2, 2010

stargiss wrote:
they're not going to just keep servers running forever on a game that no one plays. The simple truth is that any online game you buy could be terminated at their discretion.

Who plays Eye Of Judgement anyway? You must have been the only one on the servers...LOL

Thank you for contributing nothing new to this conversation.  I am well aware of how business works.  I listed my reasons for this thread above.  Please people, if you don't care about this type of thing... just move on to a new thread.  Thanks.

By the way, this game must have done pretty good if they just released" Eye of Judgment: Legends" for PSP.  Also here is a couple of websites with active communities (like I said earlier)  who all play online.  http://www.eojmanager.com/  www.lbshooters.com

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 39 (586 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 2, 2010

its a 3yr old game prob with very few players and sony doesnt need to support it anymore if its not making money like it was back when it was new. i honestly never even heard of it

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 39 (586 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10061 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

No, I don't realistically think that I should get to play online forever.  I do think; however, that now is not the right time to shut it down.

These factors are why I don't think they should shut them down any time soon.

1. This games costs hundreds of dollars for extra cards, camera, etc not the $60 and your done.
  2. The game has been out less than 3 years
  3. There are always people online playing.  I can always find a match.  There are tons of community websites with tournaments and support.
  4. SONY markets the PS3 as having a 10 year lifecycle.  They are also trying to sell the Playstation Eye Tech with new controllers and games, but at the same time is convincing us early adopters that we should second guess the life of these technologies.

thats fine but youre aribitrarily deciding on when the "right time" should be.  Things dont quite work that way.

While you might say now is not the time to do it, someone else could come along and say they shouldnt be supporting this anymore

Who does sony listen to? realistically neither. 

Sony put out their terms and let you decide on your own if you want to accept them or not. If you dont, buy something else

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 39 (586 Views)
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

stargiss wrote:

Thank you for contributing nothing new to this conversation.  I am well aware of how business works.  I listed my reasons for this thread above.  Please people, if you don't care about this type of thing... just move on to a new thread.  Thanks.

By the way, this game must have done pretty good if they just released" Eye of Judgment: Legends" for PSP.  Also here is a couple of websites with active communities (like I said earlier)  who all play online.  http://www.eojmanager.com/  www.lbshooters.com

I highlighted my contribution to the thread because it seems you missed it the first time around.

If you're well aware of how business works then why did you even bother writing this thread? The rest of us who understand how business works completely understand why they're shutting it down. And I seriously doubt the termination of this game will be the deciding factor for many of us when it comes to future PS3 games or accessories.

Sorry I touch your soft spot but I was just trying to make light of the fact that someone is so upset over a game that I really didn't think anyone at all played. Like I said, I wasn't even able to trade it or sell it because absolutely no one online or at the game store had any interest in buying it.

stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 39 (586 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
523 posts

Jul 2, 2010

jma1024 wrote:

its a 3yr old game prob with very few players and sony doesnt need to support it anymore if its not making money like it was back when it was new. i honestly never even heard of it

Again, I am aware of how the business aspect of this goes. 

But that is the poing I'm making.

1. It is a bad business idea for SONY to hype up these new technologies that require the PSEYE, while closing down the servers of the PSEYE games already out.
  2. I want to bring awareness to those that don't know, that SONY will shut down support for the MOVE controllers and 3D stuff if it becomes not profitable...  even if it has only been 3 years.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 39 (586 Views)
0 Likes