Sackboy
523 posts

Re: Early adopter of SONY tech, now they shut down the servers on us.

Jul 3, 2010

stargiss wrote:

If you're well aware of how business works then why did you even bother writing this thread? The rest of us who understand how business works completely understand why they're shutting it down. And I seriously doubt the termination of this game will be the deciding factor for many of us when it comes to future PS3 games or accessories.

Sorry I touch your soft spot but I was just trying to make light of the fact that someone is so upset over a game that I really didn't think anyone at all played. Like I said, I wasn't even able to trade it or sell it because absolutely no one online or at the game store had any interest in buying it.

I understand where you are coming from, and would think the same thing if I was you.  The reason I made this thread was to show those that cared, that there is actually a community that plays this game and this will be the deciding factor for our future purchases.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 3, 2010
OK...sad...but OK.
stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1265 posts

Jul 3, 2010

I'm not very knowledgeable about servers, but would it cost Sony anything (as far as server costs, etc) to make the game peer-to-peer? 

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
523 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Na13-31 wrote:

I'm not very knowledgeable about servers, but would it cost Sony anything (as far as server costs, etc) to make the game peer-to-peer? 

This is exactly what I'm hoping comes out of the letters sent to SONY.  The members of eojmanager.com would like to see some type of peer-to-peer or maybe an open source where they would run the servers.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Hell they still support the PS2? So why not EOJ I think there goes Sony screwing the consumer again. OnLive is the Future!

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 3, 2010
EOJ?? I hate it when peeps do that. Just because you know what those letters stand for doesn't mean we're all on the same thinking pattern.

(EOJ) Enjoy Orange Juice??? I do...but what does that have to do with this thread?
stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 3, 2010
OH...I get it! It's a cool way to say Eye Of Judgement. I have to start learning how to get in with the young, hip and cool crowd and start abbreviating everything. Typing whole words is really just so annoying.
stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Jul 3, 2010
BTW...people are still buying the PS2. And they still make it....that's why they still support it. I'm sure that if there was still a market for selling "EOJ" they would continue to support it also.

But there just isn't.
stargiss
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1979 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

No, I don't realistically think that I should get to play online forever.  I do think; however, that now is not the right time to shut it down.

These factors are why I don't think they should shut them down any time soon.

1. This games costs hundreds of dollars for extra cards, camera, etc not the $60 and your done.
  2. The game has been out less than 3 years
  3. There are always people online playing.  I can always find a match.  There are tons of community websites with tournaments and support.
  4. SONY markets the PS3 as having a 10 year lifecycle.  They are also trying to sell the Playstation Eye Tech with new controllers and games, but at the same time is convincing us early adopters that we should second guess the life of these technologies.

i never owned any cards outside the start deck that came with the bundle as no stores at all within 100 miles carried cards. so i didnt get the chance to get really into it. sadly i think its probably a pretty small number playing eoj. while yes now would be the perfect time  for them to remarket the game with the move bundles and all coming out i can see why their not. i think most people still rather play these types of games face to face (ex- magic the gathering).

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1265 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

Na13-31 wrote:

This is exactly what I'm hoping comes out of the letters sent to SONY.  The members of eojmanager.com would like to see some type of peer-to-peer or maybe an open source where they would run the servers.

Cool, never played the game myself, but I see where you are coming from.  So, Someone would need to write some code to patch in an update then Sony wouldn't have any cost associated with EoJ being online...  Is that correct?

BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 39 (354 Views)
0 Likes