Jul 01 2010
By: Schobeleth Gaming Beast 2249 posts

Eye of Judgement online play Terminated

22 replies 1622 views Edited Jul 1, 2010

From the SCEE forums:

"We at SCEE sincerely thank you for your continued support of THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™.  The online battle service for this product  will terminate on 30 September 2010.  Offline play will remain available even after the conclusion of online service.

We hope you will continue to enjoy both THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™, and the latest addition to the series, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™: LEGENDS, available exclusively for the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable)."

SOURCE:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Announcements-Events/Notice-of-Termination-of-Service-The-Eye...

I personally frown at this, I got the game and some cards to start out with but never got around to playing online. It was something I always wanted to do (being an avid and long time card game fan) but apparently now I'm screwed. I can still platinum it even with the servers offline right?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
350 posts

Re: Eye of Judgement online play Terminated

Jul 1, 2010

Not too suprising  consinder SCE went double dipping first you got to buy the Set 2 and Set 3 cards (good luck finding set 3) and then have a 15 dollar update to use the things

PlayStation MVPs Terms and Conditions
QA tester, Virtual reality Level designer/Developer
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 2, 2010

The way Sony has treated this game from its release until now is pretty depressing. Shutting down the servers, less than three years from when they started is a failure for Sony and even more for the many players that spent hundreds of € on cards. Now they tell us to enjoy the offline part instead, but those of you who have played the bad excuse for an AI that they provide know what I mean.

It raises questions about future Sony releases. Do I dare to spend money on their online games given that I know that they will cut the lines as soon as there are other options to make even more money? Do they at all care about their customer relationships? Maybe they needed the server to run yet another online FPS or RPG?

EoJ is a very different kind of game. It did not turn out to sell them very many PS3s (although I bought one primarily to play EoJ). I am afraid that my long lasting relationship with SCEA/E/J products end 9/30. I am utterly disappointed at Sony.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (1,622 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Jul 2, 2010

sjabth wrote:

The way Sony has treated this game from its release until now is pretty depressing. Shutting down the servers, less than three years from when they started is a failure for Sony and even more for the many players that spent hundreds of € on cards. Now they tell us to enjoy the offline part instead, but those of you who have played the bad excuse for an AI that they provide know what I mean.

It raises questions about future Sony releases. Do I dare to spend money on their online games given that I know that they will cut the lines as soon as there are other options to make even more money? Do they at all care about their customer relationships? Maybe they needed the server to run yet another online FPS or RPG?

EoJ is a very different kind of game. It did not turn out to sell them very many PS3s (although I bought one primarily to play EoJ). I am afraid that my long lasting relationship with SCEA/E/J products end 9/30. I am utterly disappointed at Sony.

I got out of the game a while ago because I didn't like the policy of charging us just to use new sets of cards. I agree with you and your concerns. Do I purchase the DC online game only to be concerned that Sony will shut it down if they don't make enough money?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Jul 3, 2010

It is a shame that this game is getting shut down. Even though there were a few cheaters out there, I still had a very enjoyable time meeting people and talking about what went into their deck concepts.

And now that the Move is coming out and more PS Eyes are going to be out there, I thought that they might try to give a little life back to this game.. but I guess not.

"Professional assassination is the highest form of public service." -Chiun
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2249 posts

Jul 5, 2010

Do you guys know if I'll still be able to get the trophies when the servers go down? I hope at least you'll be able to get them via bot matches.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 5, 2010

The trophy part is not effected. You can still get them through winning against the computer (in fact almost all of them are about winning against the computer AI playing certain decks).

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 7, 2010

I just want to let sony know how insanely dissapointed I am with them for shutting these servers down..... my brother and I bought this game at launch .... and have bought a huge amount of booster packs and all the decks for all 3 sets .... not only did we spend all the money on the cards ... but you actually made us BUY and unlock key so that we could use them ONLINE ... in fact ... 2 unlock keys .... so that my brother and i can sit home with each other and play eoj .... so now you want to tell me that we put all that money .... and time .... so we could play together .... and you are just shutting it down ... if there arent enough people to keep a server up .... you better release a patch that lets us host our own online games .... cause its not gonna help me when my bro and i dont live close .... and now ... i cant play with my friend in canada ..... get it together sony ..... between my yellow lights of death .... and you yanking my feet out from under me .... starting to look at sony as a money pit ....with spikes at the bottom ..... so sad sony .... so sad

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 20, 2010

I am super dissapointed, I just bought this game and some cards second hand.  Sony should re-consider and do something like re-release and promote the game as it's great.

How much can it actually cost to keep one server going.....  Either way, I am lucky I guess I only spent $120 on all the stuff but I can just imagine if someone had lots of cards.....

Sony - come on, reconsider this all and keep the server up!!  new players like me do exist!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 28, 2010

I can't believe how disappointed I was to see this message last night. My friend and I get into an EoJ run once every couple of months. He lives in a different city, and this is one of the coolest games to sit down for a night, have a few beers, chat, and play at the same time.

We've both invested $200+ in this game, and I think that is one of the big reasons why any EoJ player is entitled to a little more bitterness than a player of a regular game that gets shut down. I wish on these kinds of games they included a peer-to-peer option right from the start in anticipation of the servers eventually going away. It's wishful thinking now to hope that they would code this feature, test it, and release it as an update: that would be much more expensive than keeping a server running somewhere.

Even if they lost all the rankings, records, and just kept a single server available for unranked, PvP games, I would be very happy. Again, I don't think it will happen but you can always hope.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (1,622 Views)
0 Likes