Dec 19 2009
By: Jag_Stilvecchio PlayStation MVP 8173 posts

Fallout 3 GOTY Freezing? Try This!

22 replies 17689 views Edited Dec 19, 2009

Well after beating the original Fallout 3, getting platinum & logging in more than 150hrs. I put the game down and moved on. Recently I purchased the GOTY version of the game and was immediately disappointed to learn that the game has some major freezing and framerate issues. It's only after I started playing the GOTY version of the game that I came back to the Fallout forum here and read just how many people are experiencing these problems.

Anyway, last night I decided to give the game another go. I started up the Brotherhood of Steel mission "Death from Above". Almost immediately the game started dropping the framerate and froze on me twice in 1hr. I was about to call it quits when I decided to try something - I switched off my radio in my Pip Boy. The results were immediate! I could actually move around the Wasteland and fight enemies using VATS without the framerate dropping! I played for 2 more hours after turning the radio off and experienced no additional freezing that required a reload. 

So maybe it's worth a shot?! Just try turning your radio off in your Pip Boy!  Sorry if this has already been mentioned before. I ran a quick search and didn't see anyone else recommending this.

Message 1 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
883 posts

Re: Fallout 3 GOTY Freezing? Try This!

Dec 19, 2009

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

Well after beating the original Fallout 3, getting platinum & logging in more than 150hrs. I put the game down and moved on. Recently I purchased the GOTY version of the game and was immediately disappointed to learn that the game has some major freezing and framerate issues. It's only after I started playing the GOTY version of the game that I came back to the Fallout forum here and read just how many people are experiencing these problems.

Anyway, last night I decided to give the game another go. I started up the Brotherhood of Steel mission "Death from Above". Almost immediately the game started dropping the framerate and froze on me twice in 1hr. I was about to call it quits when I decided to try something - I switched off my radio in my Pip Boy. The results were immediate! I could actually move around the Wasteland and fight enemies using VATS without the framerate dropping! I played for 2 more hours after turning the radio off and experienced no additional freezing that required a reload. 

So maybe it's worth a shot?! Just try turning your radio off in your Pip Boy!  Sorry if this has already been mentioned before. I ran a quick search and didn't see anyone else recommending this.

When i first started playing, I noticed that my radio would glitch and three dog would randomly burst into conversation(not normally, bursts in mid conversation after long silence)

Dqeight
Message 2 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Dec 21, 2009
Any other feedback on if this works? I'm interested in buying Fallout 3 GOTY, but have been deterred by the amount of bugs. If this reduces them significantly, maybe I will reconsider buying the game.
Message 3 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Dec 21, 2009

MikaTheAss wrote:
Any other feedback on if this works? I'm interested in buying Fallout 3 GOTY, but have been deterred by the amount of bugs. If this reduces them significantly, maybe I will reconsider buying the game.
Unfortunately I'm not getting a lot of responses. 
I did have some time to test my theory this afternoon and can confirm that there is a dramatic difference when I play the GOTY edition with the radio on or off. When I play with the Pip Boy radio on the game is extremely choppy and stalls frequently. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, sometimes more for the game to start working normally again. I also get a lot of game ending freezes when I have the radio on that require a restart of the system.
I played thru the entire Broken Steel expansion this weekend and I could not get thru the Adams Air Force Base part with the radio on. After I switched it off I had much better results. Though the framerate did drop at certain chaotic moments. However, I was able to get thru without any freezing or restarts. 
Such a shame too as Fallout 3 is such a great game. The expansions seem great (at least Broken Steel has been thus far) and have rekindled my interest in the game. 
Hopefully I get some other people that can try this out and see if they're seeing any differences as well. 

Message 4 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 21, 2009

i just started plyaing Fallout 3 GOTY this weekend and had the game freeze up on me twice.  i can't recall the first time it froze and what may have caused it but the second time was when i was in Grayditch.  there is an abandoned house with a tub in the bathroom.  in the tub is a radio you can turn on.  i turned it on and listened to the broadcast and took a nap (yes, there is a bed in the house to recuperate/heal!).  i didn't notice anything.  before leaving the house, i turned off the radio, run towards the door, clicked X to open, and then...FREEZE!  I was locked out of the game as if i was holding a banana in front of my PS3 instead of a controller. 

maybe the radio does have an effect on the game freezing up.  i'll post on this thread if i encounter anymore problems.

Message 5 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Dec 21, 2009
my radio it's always off and the game still freeze, i got the GOTY edition, couple of freeze and frame drops here and there nothing to worry about,still can play the game and enjoy it, but when i start point lookout it was a nightmare, i couldn't play two minutes without having a major freeze i had to restart my ps3 three times because it keep freezing at the same spot. bethesda need to take responsibility and fix this game.
http://lcpd.freeforums.org { YLOD VICTIM}

Get your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Dec 22, 2009
I played through all the DLC with the radio off and still had the freezing issues.
rosenort
Message 7 of 23 (17,689 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2195 posts

Dec 22, 2009
My radio is always off and my game is almost unplayable. This is only for my level 30 character though. My level 8 character save rarely freezes and my level 30 save didn't start freezing untill it was in the high 20's. I think it has to do with how long you play on a certain file that causes freezes in GOTY.
Message 8 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Dec 22, 2009

Yep after testing this further it seems that my game is still freezing. I just completed Operation: Anchorage and parts of the game were very, very choppy. I didn't get any game-ending freezes but still had to restart frequently because it was the only way to get the framerate back to normal. 

Ugh, this is so frustrating. Now I'm just playing the game to get thru it, not really enjoying it at all.  

Message 9 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 31, 2009
I am having the exact same issue. Even before I got the GOTY edition the last level (level 20) on the original game the freezing started to happen. I think Playstion (Sony) and Bethesda should get this thing figured out and quick. How are you going to sell one of the best games of all time and let it just keep trucking on with this kind of issue. It is purely rediculous. It makes me not even want to Purchase Fallout Vegas when it comes out with fear that the same thing will happen. I always have my radio off.
Message 10 of 23 (17,689 Views)
0 Likes