Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
258 posts

Re: Fallout 3 GOTY Freezing? Try This!

Feb 13, 2010

I have GOTY, not running radio, turned off all 3 autosaves, reduced my game saves to 1. Still it would freeze up when I came upon many enemies. (Talon Camp in bottom right corner of Zone 4).

I went back and used a game save from before the DLC loaded and I waltzed into that compound and missiled every one of those Talon punks into the stone age on the first shot. It was beautiful.

(Note: After loading the early save, the disc auto loaded the DLC missions, but I did not play them and I was able to go into the busy area with no freezing).

This means I can't use any of those cool alien weapons I picked up and my Chinese stealth armor is gone but I'm enjoying the game without constantly having to hard boot the PS3.

This is a clear case of Bethesda not nailing things down. Xbox users and PC users are having the same problem.

Message Edited by BR4CR on 02-13-2010 12:28 AM
Message Edited by BR4CR on 02-13-2010 12:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 13, 2010

Turning the radio off does help.  I've also noticed that the freezes happen at the higher levels (I have a theory on this) as well as after playing for several hours (probably from a small memory leak).

I think the game has trouble managing memory and calculating with all the variables...  perks, higher stat calculations, ammo count, weight calculation, items in inventory, condition of items in inventory, the radio (if it is on), movement of NPCs, weight and status of NPCs, and so on.

At the high levels, you obviously don't want to lower your stats, and you can't do anything about the memory leaks or the NPC calculations, but there are variables you can reduce...

Travel light.  Empty your lockers and what-not in your home, sell off all that ammo you don't need anymore (seriously, do you really need 2000 rounds of .10 or .32 caliber when you're basically only using the sniper rifle and energy weapons?).  I'm telling you that your character will never be in so bad a situation that you need to keep > 80 stimpacks on your person.  The less you carry and the more you sell, the less the game has to keep track of and can delete (you know it goes away after a while when you sell it, right?).

Also, try not to "drop" anything.  If you leave something on the floor, the game has to remember where you left it, forever.

The reason I think the GOTY freezes more than the original is because there's even more for the game to keep track of. Think of all the memory management that must go on to store your inventory and remember where everything is that you have touched.  Freezes are less frequent early on in a game save, perhaps the original placement of objects in the world are compressed in memory until you interact/load that area. And now that area has to be saved, but is not (always) re-compressed?

I know it diminishes the immersion, but you're going to have to remember that the game is a computer program and has limits.  Yes, the game should have been designed better to account for players' hoarding tendencies and/or to have some purging mechanism for items that remain un-touched outside of storage for so long.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 14, 2010

I've gone through a few message boards and tried everything, from deleting the game data, removing all unnecessary gear, radio's off etc... my GOTY freezes every time. If I get into a fight, try to enter a building,  run for more than 15seconds, or try to leave look out point it just freezes, I'm stuck. This blows, any advice??

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 30, 2010

I have a possible resolution for point anchorage and have only tried a couple of times. but let it load. i was freezing like there was no tomorow and so i loaded my file and let it sit unpaused for like 5 minutes and now i can play without lag or freezing. get back to me if it works for anyone else?

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 4, 2010

ive been playing goty for about a week now and its only since i started anchourage that it started freezing, but when you think about it 9000kb of game play thats alot for a console to with stand; yeh the hard drive can handle it but can the actual console you gotta think about that.

But back to the chase the only advise i can think of is every 5 - 10 minutes save it then carry on playing you dont want to do what i did and was get half way through the main quests and then it freezes :/ so yeh

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Jul 3, 2010

I dontknow about anyone else but mine just freezes up completely and requires me to un plug my PS3 to turn it off. Complete hard freeze with nothing I can do. I'm on Broken Steel now but as soon as I die it completely freezes and needs t obe un plugged. Maybe you could help me?

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Nov 1, 2011

I tried turning off the radio. Worked for about 15 minutes. When I went to point lookout, I had to save literally every 5 min, then it froze as soon as I loaded.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4914 posts

Nov 1, 2011

In my experience, the number one fix for freezing is to delete your game data (NOT SAVED DATA) and restart the game. This is definitely worth a try. It also works great on lagging and some glitches. Of course, in your case Dark_arc, this may not help. Point Lookout is just horrible sometimes. In all my playthroughs it only played well once. All the other times ended as you describe. It once took me 25 minutes to go from the ferris wheel to the ferry.

You can also try not saving over the same file. Make a new one now and then and delete the old one.  

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Nov 2, 2011

taker-77 wrote:

In my experience, the number one fix for freezing is to delete your game data (NOT SAVED DATA) and restart the game. This is definitely worth a try. It also works great on lagging and some glitches. Of course, in your case Dark_arc, this may not help. Point Lookout is just horrible sometimes. In all my playthroughs it only played well once. All the other times ended as you describe. It once took me 25 minutes to go from the ferris wheel to the ferry.

You can also try not saving over the same file. Make a new one now and then and delete the old one.  

Photobucket

The first time that I played through it, the deletion actually worked. But subsequent playthroughs weren't as lucky. A shame indeed.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 23 (1,828 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 6, 2012

A big issue that I have noticed is the fact that if you are in the main wasteland with weapons or equipment obtained from the DLC locations, the game chugs a lot more often then if you were to run around with weapons that were in the origional Fallout 3. Just an observation. And Point Lookout chugs no matter what system it is played on, I own it for the PC and 360 as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 23 (1,686 Views)
0 Likes