Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 30 2011
By: ApostleOfGod First Son 3 posts

Fallout New Vegas Dead Money does not work with latest patch.

21 replies 3688 views Edited Jun 30, 2011

Fallout New Vegas DLC Dead Money does not work with the latest patch and before I updated it wouldn't let me move on after you've gathered the 3 people at the fountain. Please help.

Message 1 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Re: Fallout New Vegas Dead Money does not work with latest patch.

Jun 30, 2011

To be clear, are you saying that the DLC doesn't work at all now that you've updated? Also, that before you updated you were stuck after gathering everyone at the fountian?

In any case, the first thing I would try is deleting the Fallout New Vegas Game Data (NOT SAVED DATA) from your Game Data Utility folder. This is a quick fix for most Fallout related issues. The Game Data will automatically re-install the next time you load a save.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the Fallout New Vegas DLC Game Data, also from the Game Data Utility folder. You will then need to redownload Dead Money.

Should you succeed in getting Dead Money to work, but are still stuck at the fountain, you may need to load an earlier save if you have one. After gathering everyone at the fountain, you should be able to speak to Elijah again, via the prompt at the fountain. He will give you your next assignment. If this is not happening please try and describe what is actually happening instead.

Message 2 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 2, 2011

I've done all that and I still get stuck at the fountain I loaded and reloaded it like 10 times. He always says that I still need to gather the 3, even though all 3 of them are at the fountain. Also I still can't play it with the latest patch, I have to play it with the unpatched version because as soon as I install the patch it glitches and I end up in the town you start the game in with no items and just my empty hands held out. This is really frustrating me.

Message 3 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Jul 2, 2011

Just a shot in the dark here Apostle, but when you bring the final compainion to the fountain, do you dismiss them before talking to Elijah? If not, then try it. They will tell you that they're going to the fountain, even if you are already there. Perhaps the game is not recognizing that they are actually waiting at the fountain.

Also, I have had only one scenerio like the one you describe with the patch. It was the result of a corrupted save file. I hate to say it, but you may find it necessary to delete that save file. I don't know if you have already, but you could try saving your game to a brand new slot, rather than overwriting an old save file, and see if that clears up the issue. Sometimes in Fallout overwriting the same file over and over can lead to issues.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 6, 2011

I never took a companinion with me I sent them all to the fountain hoping to avoid said glitch. Since I had that glitch happen 3 times previously. Also I tried the patch with several different save games and it still happens.

Message 5 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2011

What's the final verdict here? I'm having the exact same problem. I do notice that for each of the three companion quests there is an un-checked box at the top of their lists for each where it says "Recruit companion". I've done everything possible to "recruit" each companion and all three are standing at the fountain. I am unable to proceed any farther with this game unless someone can come up with an answer. Thank you.

Message 6 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Sep 26, 2011

Sadly, this is a rare issue that can occur and is unsolvable (at least as far as I can conclude). You can try what I posted above, but it I don't think it will help. From searching around the web, it looks like it is game over.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you will need to start a new game, unless you have a say from before you started Dead Money.

Message 7 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Sep 26, 2011

I just read something interesting.

Do you have of the pre-order DLC bonuses installed? One site I was looking at claimed that if you have the Classic Pack installed that the latest patch can mess up the DLCs. If you do have the Classic Pack, or any of the other pre-order DLCs, try deleting all your DLCs and then re-installing, without installing the pre-order bonus DLC.

Message 8 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2011

1) I did try starting the Dead Money DLC starting with a previous saved episode in New Vegas (as per normal). No joy.

2) Just out of curiosity and boredom, I did try starting the New Vegas game from scratch with a brand-new character, and made it all the way over to the bunker on foot without being killed by Raiders, Deathclaws, or scorpions. I entered the Dead Money bunker and again got all three companions to the fountain, and..... same result. No joy.

3) I did not "pre-order" Dead Money DLC and I don't have the "Classis Pack". Don't even know what it is. I just downloaded Dead Money DLC about a week ago (9-18-11) from the Playstation website (after paying $10), so it must be the latest version.

This is my first, and only, download of any DLC add-ons from the Playstation website. I doubt if I will be downloading any more in the future if I will be having this problem again.

Surely, I am not the only one with a PS3 that is having this problem of not being able to progress any further with this Dead Money DLC add-on?

Message 9 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Sep 26, 2011

Lotus, I found this on Bethesda's forum, posted by an Administrator:

"Thus far we've onl seen the issue occur in instances where the patch is not properly installed or has been removed (a system cache clear removes the patch). If the patch has ever been removed while playing Dead Money, this issue is likely to occur.

Another common wa this could happen is if you have the patch installed on one , but then transfer your hard drive to another that doesn't have the update. If the new isn't connected online, the game probably hasn't been patched.

If you're confident you've had the patch all along and the issue is still occurring, feel free to send me a PM. Otherwise, I'd suggest making sure you have the patch installed and restart Dead Money using any save prior to when you downloaded the DLC."

Link: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1153136-3-people-at-the-fountain-glitch/

The strange thing is that this appears to be primarily an Xbox glitch. I could find no reference to this occuring on any PS3 versions other than this thread. There are some references to a glitch with Dog/God and a missing dialogue option that will dismiss him from your service, but this isn't your issue right?

You may want to contact Bethesda directly with this problem. Maybe they can provide better answers.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 22 (3,688 Views)
0 Likes