Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
18 posts

Re: i need advice, can fallout new vegas damage ps3?

Dec 6, 2010
It's impossible that the game itself caused YLOD. Make sure you play your PS3 in a well ventilated area, and don't leave it on for hours on end (i'm talking like 6+ hours)
I am war, I am pain, I am all you've ever slain, I am tears, in your eyes, I am grief, I am lies.
Message 11 of 20 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8923 posts

Dec 6, 2010

ThePunisher wrote:

killer9mm wrote:

umm, so that freezes that i got couldn't damage my console? 3 days before i got YLOD I copied all saves except fallout onto my USB i dont know why the hell did i copy them at that time but, thank god i did

No...software freezes don't "damage hardware"

Freezing can cause file corruption within the system.

If a file is corrupted and not working properly, it could cause damage to the console.

I know that my PS3 ran like a champ, but after playing FONV and Black ops and dealing with the constant freezing from the 2, my ps3's blu ray system files became corrupt and the drive began to function properly half the time, while the other half, it would not even detect the disc.

Eventually, it stopped reading the disc and gave me the error code 80010514.

I tried repearing the file's via safe mode restore file system, but to no avail.

It even said files were corrupted, but alas, the laser gave out.

So yes, games, to a degree can cause damage, but I doubt they cause the YLOD, They can however, cause damage to the laser via freezing the system up.

Message 12 of 20 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
216 posts

Dec 8, 2010

I had a First generation 60 gig launch PS3 for years before I finally got YLOD i got it watching a DVD! I learned to take apart my fat ps3 and reflow the CPU and GPU to fix it, but YLOD would happen again about once a month. I fixed it one last time and traded at gamestop for store credit and went for the new slim 120 gig. I miss my backwards compatibility but can live without it for a PS3 that I don't have to fix every month.

Games don't damage your PS3. YLOD sucks but YOU can fix it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

Photobucket
Message 13 of 20 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Dec 11, 2010

o_bound wrote:

I had a First generation 60 gig launch PS3 for years before I finally got YLOD i got it watching a DVD! I learned to take apart my fat ps3 and reflow the CPU and GPU to fix it, but YLOD would happen again about once a month. I fixed it one last time and traded at gamestop for store credit and went for the new slim 120 gig. I miss my backwards compatibility but can live without it for a PS3 that I don't have to fix every month.

Games don't damage your PS3. YLOD sucks but YOU can fix it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

Your story makes me happy that I did not even try to do that. That is absurd fixing a YLOD every month when you can pay someplace like Gophermods to do it for like 69 bucks.

Message 14 of 20 (699 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 25, 2012

first off yes it can, and if you call sony they will even tell you, that you should not keep playing something that forces you to shut off your console.

Message 15 of 20 (698 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Jul 27, 2012

I feel your pain my friend. I'm currently on my 3rd PS3 (See signature). I blamed L.A. Noire for my 2nd PS3 dieing but I wouldn't say software (games) kills consoles. BUT constant freezing can absolutely kill a game system and some games are more prone to it than others (Fallout of course and L.A. Noire problems were also wide spread). I have since not played L.A. Noire again, which is a shame because it is a great game. But I can't live without my Fallout fix so I'm now also a PC gamer. I do recommend it since Fallout just runs better on PC. Plus you get all the great mods ;-).

PlayStation 3 Fat 60 GB July 7, 2007 - July 13, 2010 RESURRECTED August 26, 2011 - 2nd YLOD September 25 2011
PlayStation 3 Slim 120 GB July 15, 2010- INJURED August 20, 2011 (http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Is-something-wrong-with-my-disk-drive/m-p/36264131)
PlayStation 3 Slim 160 GB September 26, 2011
FAVORITE GAMES: Battlefield series, Fallout series, Mass Effect series and Metro 2033
BEAST MODE: [ON] / off

Message 16 of 20 (696 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16259 posts

Jul 28, 2012
if software freezes caused hardware failure Microsoft would have gone out of business back with the release of windows 3.0 . but if you are concerned about you ps3s longevity and feel freezes are damaging, dont play the fallout gamestop. my original 60gb still runs like a champ after hundreds of freezes, not only occurring with fallout.

Message 17 of 20 (693 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 25, 2013
All this game has is a ton of dam glitches and that stupid invisible wall anyone else have this invisible wall problem? I try and try to get to a quest point and that invisible wall is worse then the enemies really pisses me off
Message 18 of 20 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4914 posts

May 26, 2013
Yeah, those **bleep** invisible walls are quite annoying. They really do major damage to the open world feel of New Vegas. Hell, that alone is 80% of the reason I prefer FO3 to NV.
Message 19 of 20 (279 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 14, 2013

It may of just been a random tech glitch or coincidence that you got it while playing. 

Both FO3 and FO NV are VERY buggy games. I own both, and they both freeze/lockup once every 4 hours or so. 

They wont damage the console. The console is still running, and so is the PS3 OS code built in. The game is the only thing that froze. Nothing at all to worry about. 

However, if you own an older model that was prone to overheating, be careful. Both FO3 and FONV have serious action and tons of objects appearing on screen. Both games render at least 1 in game mile in front of you, meaning that the game is CONTANTLY rendering massive worlds. This is what causes the freezes and lockups. This can cause your system to become stressed and possibly overheat. I know this first hand. My PS3 80GB 2008 model would constantly get pretty warm when playing these. But my PS3 Slim Nov 2011 model would not. 

Message 20 of 20 (256 Views)
0 Likes