Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 20 2011
By: hovito89 Wastelander 913 posts

Are people still on ffxi??

6 replies 339 views Edited Jun 20, 2011

Hey guys.. I'm interested in buying final fantasy 11 since its the only ff game I haven't played before. However, I have to quick questions. For starters - I planned on buying it on pc since I gave my ps2 away after not playing it for years.. Just because I was on my ps3 so much.. Looking back it was a horrible idea since I'm a gigantic rpg fan, especially classic jrpgs, and we all know that the ps3 is lacking in that department I would def enjoy having a ps2 right now to play the classics that these 3rd parties wont format to put on the ps network. So anyway if I buy the pc version will I be playing with both pc and ps2 players, or only pc players? Also, since ffxi has been out for nearly 11 years, and is an online only game, I wasn't sure if there were any people actually online playing this game still. As it would seem to be pointless in my opinion playing this online game, and not having anyone online to play with.. Although I'm just assuming it wouldn't be fun without having people online since I've never played an mmorpg I don't know for sure how having a lack of people online would actually effect the game, and if it really would be a huge problem.. But like I said, I can only assume that but don't know for sure.. Anyway, that's it! Thanks everyone for your help, and sorry if I've made any forum taboos in this post.. It certainly wasn't intentional.

Message 1 of 7 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Re: Are people still on ffxi??

Jun 20, 2011

So anyway if I buy the pc version will I be playing with both pc and ps2 players, or only pc players?

Yes, you play with both PC and PS2 players. You will even play with Xbox 360 players. In otherwords, the game is cross platform. PC is probably best over the PS2 as getting the hard drive and original game discs is near impossible these days. With PC you can easily get it off steam.

Also, since ffxi has been out for nearly 11 years, and is an online only  game, I wasn't sure if there were any people actually online playing  this game still.

Yes, people do still play it. Thousands.

It is an old game though, don't expect the player base to ever grow, it will only shrink with time.

Although I'm just assuming it wouldn't be fun without having people  online since I've never played an mmorpg I don't know for sure how  having a lack of people online would actually effect the game, and if it  really would be a huge problem.

It would be near impossible to play

I've never played an mmorpg

Oh boy... well FFXI is probably one of the most difficult MMORPG's to learn to play. This is mostly due to pretty much no tutorials or guides for new players. If you have the patience to learn the game it can be very fun, but the learning curve is very steep. Best advice would be to find a good linkshell (what the game calls a guild/clan/club).

I'm interested in buying final fantasy 11 since its the only ff game I haven't played before.

If you've never played an MMORPG then you've also never played Final Fantasy XIV

Message 2 of 7 (339 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 11, 2013

Hello hovito89,

I just started playing FFXI on March 1, 2013.  As somebody that’s learning disabled and been in Special Education all his life,  I was originally extremely fearful that I would wind up feeling intimidated and being frustrated by the level of skill that I thought I would need  to… Basically, do anything.    I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the learning curve wasn’t that steep…   It’s true that it’s taking me a while to level up, but that’s only because I’m still learning the magic. I made the mistake of making myself a White Mage without know what a WHM was or what they did.  I’m playing the PS2 software on my first-gen 60Gb, PS3.  I was lucky enough to find the unused software being liquidated at the comic book warehouse in Brooklyn, NY.

highres_216489042.jpg

The GFX details are a little chunky, especially where there’s lots of characters or movement  on scree.  However, I still rate the GFX as “acceptable”.  At first, I wasn’t too thrilled about taking a 21Gb partition out of the 60Gb HDD, but in the final analysis it was worth it.

Message 3 of 7 (325 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Apr 14, 2013
Glad to see people still interested in this game. I had SO much fun when I played this game. I'd still be playing it if I had time and resources to play it. Although I would imagine that the population has dwindled over the years, as with any MMO. FF XI was a game that SE, through many years, finally got right I believe.
Message 4 of 7 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

May 31, 2013

I have bought Final Fantasy XI and XII, for PS2. I haven't tried them yet, but I want to ask.

Do I need to be on the internet to play? If I do, how do I connect the PS2 to the interenet?

I have never played before, and I only hear the rumor of them being unplayable without online connection.

Message 5 of 7 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

May 31, 2013

you need internet for XI if im not mistaken

XII is solo so you can play by yourself

Message 6 of 7 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Jun 1, 2013

I still play FF11 off and on.  I'm not sure how much longer I'll remain subscribed though.  I used to balance my mmorpg gaming between FF11 and EQOA for PS2.  That balance went away after EQOA ended.  I'm just taking it day by day.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 7 of 7 (248 Views)
0 Likes