Jul 24 2012
By: Dayed Hekseville Citizen 436 posts

FF VERSUS 13 is NOT cancelled, official statement from CEO

[ Edited ]
10 replies 388 views Edited Jul 24, 2012

Quote from Yoichi Wada, CEO of Square Enix, via twitter on ffv13 rumors, 

"There's someone making a false rumour that Versus was cancelled," he said. "Haha... just a minute ago, the regular Versus meeting ended. If you saw the presentation of the city, it'd knock you off your feet - lol."

So there you go SE is not letting us down, it is still on the way Smiley Happy

V13

Message 1 of 11 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Re: FF VERSUS 13 is NOT cancelled, official statement from CEO

Jul 24, 2012
Probably multiplatform now.
Message 2 of 11 (383 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11248 posts

Jul 24, 2012

I saw something about this via IGN. Over the last 3 years I've been treating any Versus news with caution. I have my hopes that we'll see this game in some fashion, but until there is a playable demo and a release date in sight, I'm not overly optimistic.

Don't get me wrong I want to see this come out. But Square-Enix's focus has been elsewhere over the last 5 years.

Message 3 of 11 (376 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1233 posts

Jul 25, 2012

I really hope this game sees the light of day. Next to Uncharted, it was my sole reason for buying the PS3 in the first place.

Message 4 of 11 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2012

Dayed:

So there you go SE is not letting us down, it is still on the way

TrickedOutHoro wrote:

I really hope this game sees the light of day. Next to Uncharted, it was my sole reason for buying the PS3 in the first place.

This is why the game will likely be a dissapointment to many. People are putting it so far up on a pedestal it can't possibly meet them all. You've put into your mind what the perfect final fantasy game will be, and if it does not meet that expectation all that's left is dissapointment. Even if it is a good game on its own. *Stares at FFXIII*

No information about this game is known. Best to keep an open mind.

Message 5 of 11 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
436 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2012

my expectations aren't that high i'm just happy SE isn't letting us down by announcing and keeping us updated on a game for years and then suddenly cancelling it which would make anyone upset

Message 6 of 11 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Aug 12, 2012

TrickedOutHoro wrote:

No kidding. Besides MGS4, I bought a PS3 believing we'd see a truly revolutionary PS3 exclusive, FF Versus XIII. 

Message 7 of 11 (296 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 23, 2012

At this point Square Enix in general, and Yoichi Wada in particular, have zero credibility regarding anything related to Final Fantasy.This is the exact same thing that happened to Final Fantasy XIII. Due to the decision to make it multi-platform, the game as originally envisioned was killed (or gutted) which is how we wound up with two sub-par games instead of one decent FF. Now Versus XIII has been gutted as well. If a FF Versus XIII ever appears (due to the public outcry and pushback), it will only be a shell of the original game, with the remainder of the work that was done appearing in FF XV. As for "the presentation of the city," sounds like they've been polishing rocks for days on end again. When will they remember they're in the busy of making games and not movies?

Message 8 of 11 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 24, 2012

I wonder, if in order to make the games as large as they used to be, maybe it'll take them building the games across 2 or 3 discs for the PS3.  They did this back when FF titles were made exclusively for the PS1(Actually, 3 and 4 discs).  Now, I'm just throwing this out there, but, I wonder if going multi-platform is holding them back.  The XBox 360 required more than 1 disc with FF13.  If Square-Enix built a game that required 2 or 3 discs for the PS3, the XBox 360 may require 6 or 9 discs.

I know FF12 and FF10 were single-disc games for PS2.  But, those games weren't built like the earlier titles that so many of us enjoyed in the earlier years of the series.  I'm just wondering if Square-Enix wants to make the games larger, but maybe they can't unless they leave out a console.  I'm certainly not saying that's absolutely what it is.  Just getting my thoughts out there.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 9 of 11 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 24, 2012

Aeternitas33 wrote:

At this point Square Enix in general, and Yoichi Wada in particular, have zero credibility regarding anything related to Final Fantasy.This is the exact same thing that happened to Final Fantasy XIII. Due to the decision to make it multi-platform, the game as originally envisioned was killed (or gutted) which is how we wound up with two sub-par games instead of one decent FF. Now Versus XIII has been gutted as well. If a FF Versus XIII ever appears (due to the public outcry and pushback), it will only be a shell of the original game, with the remainder of the work that was done appearing in FF XV. As for "the presentation of the city," sounds like they've been polishing rocks for days on end again. When will they remember they're in the busy of making games and not movies?

Agreed. Since Wada, I believe the entire series has gone in a strange direction. 

I will be more than disappointed if this game goes multi-plat. We saw what happened with FF XIII (as Melageant noted) in that we received a stripped down game in order to compensate for what the 360 couldn't do. 

Versus XIII, from what we know and what little we were told, was supposed to be revolutionary for the series. Combat was supposed to be upgraded and flow better. We were supposed to have an open world setting (similar to the old FFs where you could run around the continents), etc. And have crisp and superb graphics to top it all off. 

This game NEEDS to deliver and it better be on the PS3. This game could easily propel SE's credibility with it's fans and those who have lost confidence in them. 

We seriously need to hear something soon, though. At this rate, I'm worried that they may be pondering putting off until the PS4 comes out. And I don't plan on buying a PS4 if it comes out within the next couple years. I'll stick with my current machine as far as it'll take me. 

Message 10 of 11 (207 Views)
0 Likes