Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Re: FF7 Vs FF8

Jan 6, 2009
I think that both FF VII and FF VIII had both their weak and strong points but for me I think I've gotta choose FF VII as my favorite. The game was just a masterpiece for it's time. The following of this game I think is unmatched. I know that there are a lot of ppl that won't agree w/ me but that's just fine. But regardless of how I/we feel I just hope that the FF series keeps going strong.
Message 30 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Jan 7, 2009

Final Fantasy VIII

Complex and mature storyline that combines elements of both war and romance.

Realistic looking character models.

Squall – A main character who successfully makes the transition from angry, adolescent loner to mature, adult leader.

Rinoa – Brains, beauty and personality. What more could you want?

Quistis – She has her own fan club; what more do you need to know? 

Fantastic CGI cut-scenes (Ex. The ballroom dance scene).

Eyes on Me – the first pop ballad in a FF game.

Fantastic background music (Ex. Tell Me, Julia’s Piano Solo, Love Grows).

A complex and interesting battle system that goes far beyond the simplistic “hit X-button mindlessly and win every battle with a flashy Limit Break/Overdrive” of FF VII or FF X.

A battle system that gives you three new reasons to battle – to draw magic, to gain items with which to upgrade weapons, and to turn monsters into cards. Trying to keep the monster alive while you do all three - without getting killed in the process - makes the battles more interesting.

Extremely customizable Junction system that gives you amazing control over your character’s development.

A complex GF system that makes them more like secondary characters rather than mere Summons.

Eliminates the tedium involved in constantly having to buy, manage and equip countless new weapons and pieces of armor just to obtain a few stat increases.

Eliminates the absurd spectacle of having random monsters roaming around with large sums of money.

Numerous gameplay limitations to help make the game more challenging:

The severe reduction of weapons, and the total elimination of armor, limits the abuse of both to defeat enemies.

Enemies level with you, and develop new abilities as you do, which limits the abuse of the leveling system.

The Draw system helps limit the abuse of magic – and particularly the more powerful magic.

Limit Breaks are harder to abuse because they can normally be used only when a character is near death.

The time requirements for summoning GFs helped limit the abuse of Summons.

Equippping and/or using multiple GFs, or using incompatible magic, has an adverse affect on GF compatibility and summoning times.

Several game sections restrict or prohibit the use of GFs.

A challenging final boss who randomly selects which of your characters will participate in the final battle.

Tons of secrets and side quests to reward those who are willing to invest the time required to actually play through the game (as opposed to following a guide) – including an ultra challenging secret boss.

Triple Triad – an addictive and useful mini-game.

A useful tutorial that can help you with any aspect of gameplay.

SeeD tests that help develop and test useful game knowledge.

Message Edited by Aeternitas33 on 01-06-2009 11:03 PM
Message 31 of 120 (479 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Jan 7, 2009
I loved final fantsy 8 wid Squall's gublade
Message 32 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
381 posts

Jan 9, 2009

Phan-san wrote:
i like final fantasy vii. no contest. best storyline ever. characters are cool. awesome boss battles. many different things you can do. traveling music xD chocobos. the materia was cool too. i don't see why everyone likes final fantasy viii more than vii. i mean viii comes in second for me, but personally, i think vii is best.
I agree

Message 33 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1576 posts

Jan 10, 2009
Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite FF so far.
Message 34 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Jan 18, 2009

SobeDog007 wrote:

This one is easy for me, it's VII.

I enjoyed the Squall-centered story and the graphics were great at the time(I'm a big CGI cut scene fan), but the game play killed VIII for me.  Some reasons... (IMO):

- The draw magic system was horrible and tedious (didn't like that you could only carry 32 types either).

- The GFs were just as useless as the espers in XII except for boosting stats.  I never once needed to use them for battle.

- Limit breaks were much better in VII (why do I need to be nearly dead to use one in VIII and even then they weren't that great).

- Card game was fun at first but got boring and old pretty fast.  I never saw a point in obtaining all of them.

- Aside from Squall, the other characters were weak and more a waste than useful.  None had interesting stories or development, and except for status effects Squall could win any battle by himself.

- Leveling up was way too easy; I had everyone at level 100 barely into disk 3.  (I did like that enemies leveled with you though!!)

- I like buying and selling weapons / armor and VIII lacked both.  You only upgraded your weapons with items received from enemies.  It made gil abundant and pointless.

The good story couldn't save this game for me.  I played through it completely once and was dying to finish it just to move on.  It's been collecting dust every since. 

You raise some good points. But you say you never used GFs??!!! Wow, how did you get past CD1 then? I know I started using limit breaks at mid CD2. Once you know how to use them, you no longer need GFs. I think the battle system in VIII was a tad better than VII, much more complex.

Message 35 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
467 posts

Jan 23, 2009

7 story, 8 Gameplay.

Message 36 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

Jan 25, 2009

Although I enjoyed playing through both Final Fantasy VII (PS1) and Final Fantasy VIII (PS1), FFVIII is probably my all-time favorite FF video game. There is just so much about this video game that I enjoy... FFVII doesn't fall short of anything I look for in a video game (or an RPG in this case) but if I honestly had to choose between FFVII and FFVIII, I would go with FFVIII.

Both FFVII and FFVIII have intriguing storylines, memorable characters, and breath-taking soundtracks (among other things) but for some reason the concepts in FFVIII seemed to stay with me more than those in FFVII (even though I really do like FFVII). All the while I was playing FFVIII, I didn't want to put it down and play something else (a habit I tend to exercise with most video games). I'm almost certain that I played a few other video games between FFVII sessions...

Message Edited by SweetPoison13 on 01-24-2009 05:03 PM

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 37 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1770 posts

Jan 25, 2009

I've thought about it for a while and upon further review...  TIE!

I can't say one is better then the other, there are other FF titles I like better and captivated my time better, but these two particular titles stand on even ground for me.

Message 38 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jan 25, 2009

Just looking at individual games, I would have to say that 8 inches over 7.  If you look at the whole world of each game (i.e. movies, side story games) then 7 trumps all over 8. 

On a semi-side note, hearing Squall's voice was what got me most excited about the first KH.

Message 39 of 120 (479 Views)
0 Likes