Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 10 2013
By: Weidleface PlayStation MVP 7874 posts

PS Community Retro Playthrough- Final Fantasy VII

[ Edited ]
11 replies 235 views Edited Apr 10, 2013

So I've decided to go ahead and get this going and see who's interested. I'll be starting up a new file in FF VII sometime today or tomorrow, and hopefully some of you will be able to join me. Played through the game before? Great! It's always a blast to go back and revisit the RPGs you grew up on. Never played it before? Even better! Share your experience with the community and feel free to seek advice along the way!

Feel free to join in whenever! Don't feel discouraged becuase you're currently working on another title. I'll be sure to post status updates fairly regularly, and encourage y'all to do the same!

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire, Tales From The Borderlands
Message 1 of 12 (235 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Re: PS Community Retro Playthrough- Final Fantasy VII

Apr 10, 2013
I'm in on this! This will be my first time playing, but I've heard many great things, so I'm actually quite eager to play it.
I'll be playing on Vita, and I'll try to download it today, I have work though so idk if I'll start it today.. I might though..
Message 2 of 12 (230 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Apr 13, 2013

I'm debating - I'm totally swamped at work lately which doesn't allow for much free time for my favorites (I like to take my time). How many hours does it take you to get through VII, VIII or IX on average, Weidle?

Message 3 of 12 (206 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7874 posts

Apr 13, 2013
It depends. I have the smallest sample size with VII, seeing as I've only played through it completely twice. I'd say that it usually takes about 60 hours for me to be satisfied (sidequests I wanna do and whatnot). VIII usually takes me anywhere from 80-100 hours, but that's just because I love taking my time in that one. It is my favorite game of all time, after all.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 12 (168 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Apr 14, 2013

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

I'm debating - I'm totally swamped at work lately which doesn't allow for much free time for my favorites (I like to take my time). How many hours does it take you to get through VII, VIII or IX on average, Weidle?

That's my issue. i'd love to do a community playthrough for VII, but, I'm gonna have to pass. I hope someone else is able to, though! Best of luck and have fun to all who go through. 

Message 5 of 12 (157 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7874 posts

Apr 14, 2013

Those of you that are worried about time constraints, worry not! I can guarantee you that it'll probably take me a while to finish up my playthrough due to time constraints as well as other games on my plate. Just pick it up and join in whenever you can.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 12 (154 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Apr 15, 2013

Weidleface wrote:
It depends. I have the smallest sample size with VII, seeing as I've only played through it completely twice. I'd say that it usually takes about 60 hours for me to be satisfied (sidequests I wanna do and whatnot). VIII usually takes me anywhere from 80-100 hours, but that's just because I love taking my time in that one. It is my favorite game of all time, after all.

Same, Weidle. And this is why we get along just fine. :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 12 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2412 posts

Apr 15, 2013
As long as you guys don't mind the fact that my log will start in Sector 7 (where I last saved; thats literally 1 dungeon in), I'll play.

(PS: Blank Friend Requests WILL be deleted!)
Message 8 of 12 (146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7874 posts

Apr 20, 2013

I finally was able to get a bit  of play time in and I'm sittiing at about 3:15 in. I saved in the train graveyard right before you head back to Sector 7. Of course, this means that I got to go through one of my favorite sequences in gaming- getting Cloud ready to see Don Corneo. No matter how many times I play this game, that part always gets me.  :smileyvery-happy:

One thing I do want to bring up- Some parts of this game have NOT aged well. I get that this was the PS1's first big foray into the big, nasty world of 3D RPGs, but my god is moving around  on the maps frustrating! Maybe I've been spoiled by being able to use the analog sticks in the other PS1 FF games, but this D-Pad is super frustrating at times. Especially when you consider that many of the maps in FF VII have such a wide angle that it becomes difficult to see where you are at times.

That's my only real complaint so far. The game doesn't look fantastic, but that's to be expected. Though, a couple of the FMV sequences did cause the game to slow down a bit when I had smoothing on. No problems when it's off, however!

Photobucket
Message 9 of 12 (120 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Weidleface wrote:

I finally was able to get a bit  of play time in and I'm sittiing at about 3:15 in. I saved in the train graveyard right before you head back to Sector 7. Of course, this means that I got to go through one of my favorite sequences in gaming- getting Cloud ready to see Don Corneo. No matter how many times I play this game, that part always gets me.  :smileyvery-happy:

One thing I do want to bring up- Some parts of this game have NOT aged well. I get that this was the PS1's first big foray into the big, nasty world of 3D RPGs, but my god is moving around  on the maps frustrating! Maybe I've been spoiled by being able to use the analog sticks in the other PS1 FF games, but this D-Pad is super frustrating at times. Especially when you consider that many of the maps in FF VII have such a wide angle that it becomes difficult to see where you are at times.

That's my only real complaint so far. The game doesn't look fantastic, but that's to be expected. Though, a couple of the FMV sequences did cause the game to slow down a bit when I had smoothing on. No problems when it's off, however!

Don's mansion is one of the best parts of that entire game. Actually anything in Midgar is great. Probably my favorite location in the entire game.

Message 10 of 12 (107 Views)
0 Likes