Mar 27 2013
By: BigDally13 Uncharted Territory 1798 posts

Square Enix CEO and President, Yoichi Wada, Stepping Down

11 replies 182 views Edited Mar 27, 2013

Well, this has been coming down the pipes for a while. Frankly, I'm shocked he lasted this long with so many questionable moves that have been made under his watch and projects that have not come through the way they were told they would, FF XIV and FF Versus XIII to name a couple (which could have been HUGE money makers for SE). 

Links: 

http://kotaku.com/square-enixs-yoichi-wada-is-stepping-down-update-458811790

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/26/square-enix-president-yoichi-wada-steps-down

Thoughts? I personally see this as an important transition for SE that could really allow them to step their game back up. 

Message 1 of 12 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7231 posts

Re: Square Enix CEO and President, Yoichi Wada, Stepping Down

Mar 27, 2013

It will definitely be interesting, any time there is a change in leadership things can really take off or they can totally hit the ditch. But at this point I'm going to remain positive about the outcome.

Message 2 of 12 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Mar 27, 2013

That sucks, anyway I'm still excited for LR:FF13

Message 3 of 12 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Agreed that the writing has been on the wall for awhile. I'm really excited to see what Square-Enix does to regain some of their lost credibility and former magic. I'm hoping that whoever is named Wada's replacement can bring those things back and make SE synonomous with quality, amazing games. 

Message 4 of 12 (143 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Mar 30, 2013
I believe SE needs to try new IP's, make people believe in them again, there is so much expectation when a FF is going to be released and they can't deliver for some people.
Message 5 of 12 (141 Views)
Survivor
1317 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Arkhur_us wrote: I believe SE needs to try new IP's, make people believe in them again, there is so much expectation when a FF is going to be released and they can't deliver for some people.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While Tomb Raider isn't a new IP, it definitely came through and made me believe that they are capable of making quality games Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 12 (140 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1798 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Arkthur_us wrote:
I believe SE needs to try new IP's, make people believe in them again, there is so much expectation when a FF is going to be released and they can't deliver for some people.

I agree it's time to try a couple new bold IPs, but, what about getting Final Fantasy back to its core as well? I know they've made some new fans with XII, XIII, and the sequels, but, SE has also lost some fans. I think they need to try and find a balance or get back to their old foundation. 

Message 7 of 12 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Mar 30, 2013

I think it's time for the company step back in time for a minute and take a look at how it all began.  It wasn't "CG" that won people over.  It wasn't "top-notch" graphics.  They need to just look at the game of FF1 and ask themselves, "How did this 'one' game save the company?"  The game had a "worldly" look and feel to it.  All of those towns, caves, castles, etc...  It actually had replay value as well, being you could only select 4 of the available 6 jobs when starting anew.

Hopefully SE will now begin to respond to the requests of its fans with some applied effort towards the projects, rather than with excuses for not even making any attempts.  Is asking a videogame company to make videogames an unreasonable request?

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 8 of 12 (124 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Mar 30, 2013

BigDally13 wrote:

Arkthur_us wrote:

I agree it's time to try a couple new bold IPs, but, what about getting Final Fantasy back to its core as well? I know they've made some new fans with XII, XIII, and the sequels, but, SE has also lost some fans. I think they need to try and find a balance or get back to their old foundation. 

The thing is, when you announce a FF game, there are a lot of people already making an idea on how the game "should" be, and if your game is different in any way, all those people are going to treat your game like garbage, no matter how good it really is. There are a lot of fanboys out there claiming for the next FFVII, X, VI, IX, and asking for something new at the same time.

With a new IP, you don't have to deal with all those expectations (and fanboys) . I'm just saying they should stay low for a while allowing the hate to decrease. I know they wont though, Final Fantasy is the only name that assures them money, and they are going to keep working on it non-stop.

Message 9 of 12 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Well, SE is bringing FF10 and 10-2 back, so it's only a matter of time before they do something for the rest of the fans.  A lot of people enjoyed the 1st performance.  You can't blame them for shouting for an 'encore'.  Well, you get the point. lol

Maybe SE should set up a major world-wide poll maybe over a 30-day period.  They could make the announcement a few months before it started.  Then, after they announce the results, they could begin to work the list from top to bottom.  Just saying "No" to your customers is never the correct answer.  There's a saying in the business world called "Make it happen!".  Sometimes you can't just do what 'you' want to do.  You're not selling the products to yourself.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 10 of 12 (108 Views)
0 Likes